ADVICE: need good Sound Ear Muffs for shooting

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JenRN

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2014
    Looking for some really good (majorly silencing) ear muffs for an 8 year old boy with autism.

He loves loves loves being out and shooting/watching his dad shooting. But due to his autism, he is extremely sensitive to the noise and will have a complete meltdown for each shot.

We bought him a set of the Remington Ear Muffs and Goggle Kit for Youth at Bass Pro. (It didn't list a NRR number on the pkg.) Unfortunately, even when we use these along with a set of earplugs (the same type that his dad and I use as our soul soundproofing and are fine with), he still cried hysterically and it's far too loud for him. I KNOW HE ISN'T FAKING and am in no way concerned with that.

I simply need to find a good quality set of ear muffs that will allow him to do the things with his dad that his cousins are doing right beside him with no sound difficulty. We want him to be able to be normal and not stand out!

All suggestions welcome! Thanks so much y'all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spec50trout

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I will second the Howard Leight. They are electronic which will enable him to hear you talk as well,$45. The price has gone up on these, will likely come down after hunting season.

I also have a set of non electronic Howard Leight that wrap-around back of head for wearing hat. I use them when operating loud equipment,$15.

The quietest ear muffs for me, have been the Western Safety brand from Harbor Freight. They are the yellow version,$10. They are big and goofy looking but comfy. May not fit smaller head.

A good reference for many shooting related items. slickguns.com

Also, consider the decibel rating of ear protection. While not always 100% accurate, it can make for a comparison.

xobelkcat

tacklebox
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Jul 6, 2007
    Slidell, Louisiana
    The H.L. Electronics are great for us without the extra sensitivity. I usually still wear plugs under my H.L.'s.

If you look at the nrr numbers they aren't any better than the average ear muff.
    I'd suggest looking at industrial muffs. I used some in the oil refineries that were ugly and bulky, but we're far more effective than any shooting muffs I've ever used. If I'm not mistaken the standard shooting muffs have an nrr in the 20 somthing decibel range. The industrials are in the 30's.

Also, the muffs must fit right against the head for them work properly. Wearing most shooting glasses will cause the muffs to not seal around the ears. I would try some impact resistant goggles with the soft flexible band.

JenRN

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2014
    He's around 223, 270, 22g and a shotgun. That's it for the most part. And we have a range set up on some of my property, so it's all outdoor shooting.

Tboy

Moving forward
    Rating - 100%
    87   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Greenwell Springs
    I have the Howard light impact sports as well, the work great and do fit my daughters. For someone that's sensitive to sound I would recommend double protection. A pair of soft push in for in the ear with a muff of some sort over the ear. I have to do this with one of mine and she does well with the noise set up this way.

stag0608

Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Luling, La
    I have a son with autism also. It took him awhile to be able to be around me shooting. You just need to start with say a .22 first and let I'm get the hang of being around you shooting. Also I bought him a red rider BB gun so he can shoot too, which really helped. But double up an the hearing protection.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    He's around 223, 270, 22g and a shotgun. That's it for the most part. And we have a range set up on some of my property, so it's all outdoor shooting.

Jen, If he says the sound hurts his ears I would get some custom ear plugs made for him "I hate foam ear plugs". Then I would run the HL muffs on top so he can hear y'all talk to him. I've done this for matches that the open guns were killing my ears and it worked great.

Good Luck.

DuckYou

Angry Wiener
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Find a good outer ear pair and add some custom formed in ear, $16 from candelas, of your son will let you put them in to form. If not use standard inner ear and outer ear. With both he will not have a problem even with very loud firearms. I use both for indoor and barely hear a thing.

Top Bottom