Advice on attaching a sling to a Ruger 10/22?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shannahan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    So I'm pretty new to the gun world! I purchased my very first gun from Mark Waggenspack (super nice guy) from the last gun show... A Ruger 10/22! And yesterday I got to shoot it for the first time! The gentlemen that I shot with had every shot gun/rifle imaginable and by the days end had given me a sling for my rifle! Needless to say I could barely contain my excitement! The only problem was that upon inspection, my Ruger did not have any existing hardware to attach the strap to! So I've been doing some research, and consistent with most gun related subjects, there are multiple opinions of what is best! Here is what I know: that I will have to drill into my gun stock and this makes me nervous! This gun will always be sentimental based on many factors, a few being: the first gun I actually filled out paperwork and bought, I think it's beautiful, it's the first gun I've shot without direct supervision from an instructor, and it was so much fun to shoot! Basically, I love this gun and the idea of putting a drill on it makes me nervous! So, do I go with the 1&1/4" or a 1" kit? Do I go with Blackhawk or Uncle Mike, or someone else? Upon inspection of the sling, it has Uncle Mike's engraved on it. I am going to attemp to attach pictures of my gun & sling. I've read that I can get away with drilling only one hole, and attaching the other part to the band at the front. What sized drill bit should I start with to ensure that I don't mess up my stock? If anyone has experience in installing sling mounts onto a Ruger 10/22 let me know what your thoughts are so that I can get it get it right! Thanks so much and I will look forward to any advice you have!
    Sincerely, ShannahanView attachment 27402View attachment 27403

Attachments

• DSC_0797.jpg
      DSC_0797.jpg
      235.6 KB · Views: 49
    • DSC_0796.jpg
      DSC_0796.jpg
      256.8 KB · Views: 70
    Last edited:

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    If you don't feel comfortable drilling in your rifle, just bring it to a Smith. Won't cost much to have a Sling Mount installed.

I installed my own back in the early 90's.

I've also just recently crossed the 18,000 round mark with my 10/22. :D

Last edited:

bs875

Rating - 100%
    232   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    You might consider getting a new stock with the sling swivel studs already installed. That may be a good alternative to paying someone to install the studs on your current stock. There are many on eBay but you could post a WTB thread in the Parts and Ammo forum and find one locally.

BrandonLSU

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Ponchatoula
    Call Jim's Firearms on Seigen Ln ask them how much it'll cost you. They might do it for free if you buy sling swivels from them...and they are open pretty late.

Shannahan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    @Hitman, that is awesome about having shot 18,000 rounds out of your 10/22! How long did that take? I guess I'm now curious about the shelf life of a gun. And how quickly does shooting rounds shorten the longevity of your gun.
    @BS875 & Brandon LSU-Jim's Firearms is a great idea, I often go the Superior Bait & Tackle and I think Jim's is in the same strip & I will search ebay to see about pre-drilled stocks!
    @3fifty7, are you referencing Will at Red Jacket?

G

gunguy11

I would recommend James at Hebert guns. He is he smith there. Can't say
    much for the staff or owners other than Jason, he is nice. But James is a great guy an will help any way he can.
    Open mon-fri til 7pm an saturday til 5pm.

Ben Segrest

Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Lafayette
    Installing the studs is ridiculously easy. Remove stock, drill holes, screw in studs, replace stock, done. I'd do it for you if you were in Lafayette.

BrandonLSU

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Ponchatoula
    You should try to drill the stock your self before you go out and spend $100 on a stock, worst case scenario you screw up the stock and then need to buy a new one. But, you should try a little home gunsmithing/carpentry first unless you find a stock at a store that you just love. Make sure you feel the aftermarket stock (proper length of pull, comfort, etc.) at the store before you buy one, you might save yourself a headache later.

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    Brandon, you are talking about the gun?

I've also wondered, with the rifle mounted in firing position, should swivels be underneath or on the left side. Or is that a matter of preference?

Last edited:
    Top Bottom