Advice on competition 9mm

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wdthomas1

wdthomas1
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 16, 2011
    West Monroe, LA
    I am interested in shooting steel challenge at my local range. I am a fan of the 1911 but want something in 9mm for faster follow up shots and decreased cost for practice. What would be the best all round option for this; a 9mm 1911 or something like a Glock 34? You folks that are experienced in competitive shooting please give me some advice. Also I would like to keep my cost under $1000.

BayouSlide

See ya at the range
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    On the Bayou Teche, La.
    If cost is a major issue, a Glock 34 will work for that budget. Put a decent trigger in it, like a Vanek, good sights, a steel guide rod and 13# ISMI spring, reload some less-than-factory power loads (or buy from Atlanta Arms) and practice like heck. I recently picked up a used STI Trojan in 9mm: the benefit of light 1911 tuned trigger (I had Bobby Keigans at Freedom Gunworks do mine) is helpful but you'll break your budget. Sure is sweet to shoot, though.

Pick one you can afford and practice. The Indian is more important than the arrow.

FTRrookie

Freedom Not Free Stuff
    Rating - 98.6%
    68   1   0
    Apr 25, 2009
    Houma, la
    And if you don't like glocks get a M&P 9L or Pro. Put a apex kit in it along with the other upgrades BayouSlide mentioned and you've got a great steel or production gun

tactical723

3 Gun / F Class Player
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    Northshore - Covington, LA
    I shoot my M&P Pro at paper and steel, I like the 4.5lb trigger from the factory, its probably a little lighter from all the rounds through it since it is 2.5 yrs old. I love it. $600, spend the rest on Bladetech holster, mag pouch and ammo, and start practicing

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    Go for the ultimate gamer gun... that 27-pound CZ 9mm that is all the rage among certain Production shooters... ;)

Okay, I'm kidding; it doesn't weigh 27 pounds. it only weighs ten pounds. :D

haters-gonna-hate-6x4.jpg

beauxdog

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    In the 1911 platform, why not look at the STI Spartan. Good value, good quality & good price.

Beauxdog :)

Last edited:

FTRrookie

Freedom Not Free Stuff
    Rating - 98.6%
    68   1   0
    Apr 25, 2009
    Houma, la
    The only problem with getting an STI is that the man is on a budget and you can't use them in production class IIRC. He's talking steel now but you know how addicting this sport is. Today it's steel at the local club next week it's driving all over the state to find a ipsc match. Go with the M&P, Glock, or CZ and you can use the same gun for both.

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    The only problem with getting an STI is that the man is on a budget and you can't use them in production class IIRC. He's talking steel now but you know how addicting this sport is. Today it's steel at the local club next week it's driving all over the state to find a ipsc match. Go with the M&P, Glock, or CZ and you can use the same gun for both.

He could shoot the STi in single stack. At least he'd get 10 rounds vs the 8 rounds that the .40 and .45 guys get.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    I don't think I've seen someone shoot a PX4 ever, except for Jefferson Parish Sheriff's Office and I think they have abandoned them.

BayouSlide

See ya at the range
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    On the Bayou Teche, La.
    I spent a LOT of time at the STI table at Area 4 trying to decide between a Spartan and a Trojan for a fast handling steel gun in 9mm. No comparison IMO...the Trojan felt less nose heavy than the Spartan...the front end weight bias of the Spartan would be fine for a single stack in .45 but not the best for a quick handling steel gun, to my mind. FWIW, the balance on the Trojan was kinda similar to my Glock 34, which I always liked, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. The Trojan was worth the extra $$$ for the build and features, and handled more like a "longslide" to boot so that's where my money went.

Jesse Tischauser

The Mayor
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2010
    Guthrie, OK
    1911 is obviously the best due to what can be done to the trigger.
    M&P 9L or Pro would provide the next best trigger and a cheaper option than a 1911
    Glock 34 which I shoot is the 3rd option. Decent trigger and affordable with parts and gunsmiths everywhere.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    joshualectric
    Top Bottom