Advice on new handgun purchase

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jr70895

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    New to handguns, looking for 40 cal or 45 cal handgun for home protection. I live in Baton Rouge so you know what I am talking about. Have been reading up on S&W and Glock. The Glock appears to be the preferred handgun but to tell you the truth I think I would prefer a safety. I know the safety has its side effects but feel safer with kids around.

I am 62 years old and have never really owned a handgun, I was in the Army way back when and have used the M-16 but not much with handguns.

Thanks

Golden-Eagle

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Mandeville
    There are multiple safeties built into the Glock. In a stressed situation you might not have time to disengage a standard safety on a semi-auto weapon. For a home defense situation, you might consider a double action revolver initially if you are not comfortable with pistols. If kids are around, a thorough evaluation of your needs is a consideration. Location and accessibility are as important as function. Several Members on the Board are far more knowledgable about home defense.

enutees

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jul 4, 2010
    Prairieville
    A safety is no protection for kids. In no way shape or form. Some will tell you their kids would never touch it etc. I don't want to be that guy on the news. I have a small safe in my bedroom that I keep my pistol in that takes me very little time to get a gun out of.

Geezer Squid

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I would recommend first, taking a handgun course from any of the excellent instructors in the area and second, (after some safety training) consider going to Precision and do some range time with some of their rental guns. I know Gordon Hutchinson does course on safety: http://www.gordonhutchinson.com/gordonhutchinson/Courses.html. There are many other good instructors in the area, I just happen to know Gordon.

Good luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Cognac.cal
    Top Bottom