Advice on Rem 700 stocks

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • au01st

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2014
    Alexandria, LA
    So I was chatting with my neighbor and he mentioned having seen me transporting a case to the vehicle one day (I try to not be obvious but he sits at his desk studying in front of a window facing the parking lot) and asked if I wanted to go shooting sometime. I of course offered that I'm always up for a trip to the range. After some discussion over what we carried the talk switched to rifles (ended up selling him a Vortex Sparc that I had listed here for his AR). Eventually he mentioned that he had a rifle he purchased for an elk hunting trip but hasn't used since, and asked if I knew what it was worth or would be interested in purchasing it. Turned out to be a Remington 700 ADL 7mm Magnum (basic black plastic stock) equipped with a Leupold VX2. I let him know what I thought it was worth and what he could probably get for it. He gave me a neighbor price and now it's mine.

I would like to add a different stock and notice most are for the BDL models. I've been looking at Hogue stocks since I'd like to keep the stock replacement below $200 (not counting the cost of the BDL conversion). I see listings for standard barrels, bull barrels, varmit barrels, etc. Will there be any problem using the standard barrel stock with the magnum as long as I get it for the long action model? Mainly I'm looking for a green stock so if someone just knows the model number that would work, too (main question and purpose of the post)

Also, the barrel has open sights (and the tacky see thru scope mount) which I never intend to use. I'm looking to add a DNZ Gamereaper one piece mount and using this for the upcoming hunting season. I understand that it may fit that function perfectly as it sits, but I'm not a person who can leave well enough alone sometimes. I was planning to get the mount now which will likely require removal of the rear sight and installation of plugs. What should it cost if I decide I want to replace the barrel with a different contour (bull barrel with no plugs, or fluted barrel) and can anyone recommend a shop in LA? I want to see if it's worth it to wait on the stock for a new barrel, or if I want to leave the barrel alone and get a stock that fits the current barrel. I'm not looking to make this a $5k 1000yd rifle, but with what I have in it now, I'm not against dumping in another $1k over a year or so.

Any/all advice is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    Remington factory barrels come in three flavors........standard, varmint, and sendero. The caliber has nothing to do with it. You most likely have a standard barrel contour, but if you post a picture we can be sure. Just get a stock that is set up for a 700 long action standard barrel BDL and you'll be good to go. A stock with a varmint or sendero channel will work as well, but may look funny with all that room around the barrel.

To rebarrel with a GOOD match grade barrel you are likely looking at $600-700 (including barrel cost), but it is highly suggested to have your action and bolt trued at the same time which would be an additional $250-300.

au01st

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2014
    Alexandria, LA
    Yeah, $700 is a little more than I want to spend for a barrel. I guess I will be ok with the current barrel. As I said, this is not for competitive shooting or anything. I just hate using those plugs...

The reason I asked about the caliber mattering is some listings for stocks had options for "magnum". Of course, I was searching around 3am so I may have imagined it. And yes, I know the front sight is missing, lol.

Rem700.jpg

Last edited:

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    Dont know if you want to go this route but I have had very good luck with Laminated wood stocks from Boyd's. You can get them with the bdl stocks for about $100. They are not a manners or hs precision but they are a good stock.

au01st

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2014
    Alexandria, LA
    I have looked at them and thought about it. I think I'm going to go with the Hogue, I found them for $125 shipped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flyperk

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2014
    Lafayette, La
    I recently purchased a Custom Rifle on a Rem M700 action. Added the B&C A5 adjustable stock system. The rifle was done by Red Hawk Rifles in Colorado. They were awesome to deal with, took my calls to discuss exactly how I wanted it configure. They even lapped the scope rings for me at no additional cost. This gun is truly one that will shot better than I can. The total cost with all cool stuff, Badger 10 MOA rail and even Pelican "Pre-cut" case was less than $2000.
    Well worth the money.

automan71

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    New Iberia
    I'd bypass the Hogue stock as well. I'd put the $125 toward a B&C with the bedding block, a HS precision take-off stock, or maybe the boyds laminate(but they are a bit heavy). I don't see spending the $125 on a stock the will flex as much as the factory plastic. Just my opinion, not bashing. You wont regret spending a little more for better quality. If you are going to upgrade, then actually upgrade.

au01st

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2014
    Alexandria, LA
    I found a walnut stock I like. I think I'm going to leave this one alone, barrel and all. As long as it's accurate enough for deer at 200yds I'm happy with it. For the price I paid, I will probably just hang on to this one.

$_57.JPG

au01st

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2014
    Alexandria, LA
    Picked up a DNZ Game Reaper mount today from Bass Pro (cheaper than most everyone online and I get instant gratification). Also ordered a 12pk of plug screws for $8. I found a HS Precision stock that is from a PSS model and includes the factory detachable mag system. I am finding some mixed info about the barrel channel. As I stated, my barrel is normal contour. Will this stock fit? Will it look goofy? Any drawbacks? Would I need anything else given that the stock comes with the bottom metal and a magazine?

Top Bottom