Advise or recommendations on open carry

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • alto8345

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2011
    Folsom, LA
    I have had my CCW for 3.5 years now and recently bought a OWB holster for my gun and realize how comfortable it is. I'm thinking about open carry when I don't have to carry concealed. I'm not a sloppy person, I'm always clean cut and I think I carry myself well. What I'm concerned about is what type of attention will I be getting from LEO? Any advise or recommendations? thanks!

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    I carry a g-19 owb in a com-tac paddle holster concealed. I am 6ft and weigh 160 lbs. I wear a button down collared shirt with some kind of pattern and you never see the gun. I walk around everywhere with it, in Louisiana and Texas, where OC is not legal.. I don't think my wife even notices I am carrying. Even if it does print a little, when broken up by the pattern on the shirt, is it a gun? or more likely a smart phone. What I'm getting at is why OC for comfort when you can CC in the same way.

Believe me, people do not realize you are carrying, they are not looking for it, and they don't see it.

Last edited:

alto8345

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2011
    Folsom, LA
    I carry a g-19 owb in a com-tac paddle holster concealed. I am 6ft and weigh 160 lbs. I wear a button down collared shirt with some kind of pattern and you never see the gun. I walk around everywhere with it, in Louisiana and Texas, where OC is not legal.. I don't think my wife even notices I am carrying. Even if it does print a little, when broken up by the pattern on the shirt, is it a gun? or more likely a smart phone. What I'm getting at is why OC for comfort when you can CC in the same way?

yeah, most of the time i will have a shirt over it.. it is just if i bend over and it shows

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I carry a g-19 owb in a com-tac paddle holster concealed. I am 6ft and weigh 160 lbs. I wear a button down collared shirt with some kind of pattern and you never see the gun. I walk around everywhere with it, in Louisiana and Texas, where OC is not legal.. I don't think my wife even notices I am carrying. Even if it does print a little, when broken up by the pattern on the shirt, is it a gun? or more likely a smart phone. What I'm getting at is why OC for comfort when you can CC in the same way.

Believe me, people do not realize you are carrying, they are not looking for it, and they don't see it.

OC is legal in Louisiana though...? Maybe I read your statement the wrong way.

I agree, if you have a gun on your hip concealed under a shirt, it is essentially the same as concealed carry. If someone notices, they will likely just assume you are a cop unless you look thuggish. As for strict OC not concealed at all...I just don't like it personally.

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    ^^ phrased poorly. I meant I carry this way in Louisiana, where OC is legal, and also in Texas, where OC is not legal, unlike Louisiana. Point being that this method of carry conceals well enough for me in states that don't allow OC (worries of the shirt riding up or printing).

A gun carried on your hip concealed by a shirt or jacket is not essentially the same as concealed carry, it is concealed carry.

Last edited:

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    ^^ phrased poorly. I meant I carry this way in Louisiana, where OC is legal, and also in Texas, where OC is not legal, unlike Louisiana. Point being that this method of carry conceals well enough for me in states that don't allow OC (worries of the shirt riding up or printing).

A gun carried on your hip concealed by a shirt or jacket is not essentially the same as concealed carry, it is concealed carry.

It is concealed until it is no longer concealed. What I was getting at is that it /can/ more easily ride up than if you have it concealed in a more inconspicuous spot, such as the small of your back under your pants and under a shirt. That's what I meant by essentially.

Top Bottom