Affordable handgun rail light

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cguedr

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 27, 2009
    Jefferson
    Thinking of putting a light on a CZ P-01. Any suggestions on an affordable option. I'm looking at the TLRs, but they are certainly not cheap.

cguedr

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 27, 2009
    Jefferson
    Ok, so to be clear, I can afford the other TLRs, but they are pricey, and there are usually deals that can be found in regards to anything you are buying. This is one of the reasons I don't have any 1911s. They can be good guns (albeit they can have reliability issues and finicky with ammo), but I can't justify the price tag, even though I'd be able to foot the bill, just because there are so many great options for much less. That's just my outlook, and why I asked the question.

JBE

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    Welsh, LA
    You should be able to find a TLR-3 for around $65-$75, maybe less with careful shopping (I was able to pick up one for < $50 brand new).

Honestly, don't go any cheaper than this...you'll get what you pay for....

beauxdog

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    We have a few lights at Louisiana Gun on 12728 Old Jefferson Hwy. Give us a call at 225-389-6077 or come by the store. We'll be glad to help you.

Thanks

Bryan Guillory

cguedr

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 27, 2009
    Jefferson
    And in this case, its the wrong outlook

I'm sorry, but I disagree. If a TLR-1 or TLR-3 are the only hangun lights worth buying, then so be it, I admittedly know little about handgun lights as I've never been in the market for one, which is why I asked the question. As for your Hi Point example, I believe there are many reports of people unhappy with them, probably as many as there are people who praise them (but I believe few would consider it a quality buy). However, there are also those in the gun community who believe that if you don't have a Colt or Kimber or HK, then you really don't have something that you can bet your life on, and this is just not so. Affordable handgun light, that's what I asked for, and instead of "TLR is about as low as I'd spend on a light", I get "If you don't spend this much, you need to re-evaluate your finances". Both may offer opinions, but one assumes that I'm not concerned with my or my family's safety...from me asking about an affordable light no less. That's quite a stretch.

ETA: I may do that. I do prefer to support site sponsors.

Last edited:

cguedr

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 27, 2009
    Jefferson
    Hardly. You asked about "affordable". That tells us you're more concerned with price point than quality.

Actually, that's your subjective opinion on what I am concerned with; and I feel that if after all I've attempted to clarify in subsequent responses you still aren't able to understand where I'm coming from, no amount of further clarification is necessary.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    The TLR is a great light, no doubt about it. I have one on my AR...

OTOH, its just a flashlight. The OP might at this point do better buying a semi-decent light (I picked up a brinkman from walmart for about $10 that is great) and spending the money on ammo, etc.
    If a hi-point is all you can afford, then run with it and do the best you can with it.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    The TLR series from Streamlight are the best bargain out there as far as lights go. The TLR-3 is great for sub-compacts and compacts and the TLR-1 for full sized. It can be argued that the Surefire weapon lights are the best out there but I prefer the TLR-1s. Insight also makes some quality lights, although I have not used one personally.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    The use of white light is a very important aspect of defensive gun use. Cheap lights will fail under recoil. I can't think of any reason to have a light mounted on a gun other than defensive purposes. That's why folks stress the importance of buying a light of at least a minimal quality (the TLR being as low as I'd be willing to bet my life on). No, you don't need a $300 Surefire light. No one is suggesting that. But going cheaper than the TLR is asking for trouble, and you're better off going another route. If you don't want to spend the money on a decent gun light, then I'd suggest buying a hand-held light and learning the proper techniques to use it in relation to your weapon.

I don't know what other answer you're looking for. While some here may come off as brash, I can assure you they are doing you more of a favor than anyone who would suggest some POS cheap light that will probably fly off the pistol or crap out when you need it most.

cguedr

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 27, 2009
    Jefferson
    Actually, the previous 2 answers (your's included) were exactly what I was looking for. Again, not knowing anything about lights, perhaps there were less expensive viable options. I will, however, stick with at least the TLR series. Cheaper lights failing under recoil is also useful information, information that is very much appreciated. It was the "Buy this, or is your family's safety not a priority?" mentality that is completely unnecessary. Thank you, though, for offering the suggestions and words of wisdom.

Trey@IG

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Northshore of Chocolate City
    ya man i didnt mean to come off as an a**hole, but if you're buying it for your own safety or more importantly your family's safety like you said, you really shouldn't bet your/their lives on a 30 dollar chinese made light. i love my tlr1. its a great value. high quality. very bright. and mine strobes for when i want to have an impromptu rave. its really not that bad of a price for something that will last for a very long time

cguedr

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 27, 2009
    Jefferson
    Nice try, but no cigar... ;)

Your attempt at obfuscation is admirable, but it failed. Your response to Curt tells me you were indeed focusing on price alone.

No drama, perhaps now you get it.

At any rate, good luck with your choice.

I wonder if this works for everybody. Actually, your repeated attempts to deny that this is how you subjectively interpreted my post have failed. Assuming Curt is SpeedRacer, in my response I said viable option. Going back to one of my previous responses, and using handguns as an example, this is going on a CZ P-01, I believe this to be an excellent firearm (maybe I should point out to you that this is also subjective). Was I only worried about price when I purchased it because I didn't get an Ed Brown, or a Nighthawk, or a Sig P210. To say that I was or was not only concerned with price is foolish. Price is always something I look at because there are certainly guns, accessories, etc that are overpriced, but to state that it is my only consideration truly is ridiculous. I have a friend with a Kimber that does nothing but jam, where the P-01 has not. Should I have gotten a Kimber because it was more expensive? I don't know how else to explain it to you, which is also why I said earlier that no further clarification was needed, but you very much obviously don't get it.

As for some of the later responses, I think it's taken them less patience to give me solid information than it has for you to come on here multiple times and offer nothing with any substance. You didn't even get in on this thread until after I made a response clarifying what I meant.

Last edited:

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    I have both TLR-1s and X300s.

The TLR-1s were issued to me, I paid for my X300s. I prefer the X300 to the TLR-1, however, I believe that the TLR-1 is a quality light and it would serve you well.

I have not had any issues with either weaponlight.

Good luck with your search.

JR1572

Renegade

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 1, 2010
    Red Stick
    Thinking of putting a light on a CZ P-01. Any suggestions on an affordable option. I'm looking at the TLRs, but they are certainly not cheap.

What's with all the drama in this thread? Dude asked a simple question about a subject in which he's ignorant. It's OK to be on a budget and to explore your options before running out and buying something. In fact, it seems the prudent thing to do is to research first... so why flame him for asking? Just because he can't run out and buy the latest tacticool super-duper light for $300 doesn't mean he won't be able to protect his family like some of you guys who have the best of everything. Get off your high horse and quit being so condescending! :rolleyes:

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I wonder if this works for everybody. Actually, your repeated attempts to deny that this is how you subjectively interpreted my post have failed. Assuming Curt is SpeedRacer, in my response I said viable option. Going back to one of my previous responses, and using handguns as an example, this is going in a CZ P-01, I believe this to be an excellent firearm (maybe I should point out to you that this is also subjective). Was I only worried about price when I purchased it because I didn't get an Ed Brown, or a Nighthawk, or a Sig P210. To say that I was or was not only concerned with price is foolish. Price is always something I look at because there are certainly guns, accessories, etc that are overpriced. I have a friend with a Kimber thst does nothing but jam, where the P-01 has not. Should I have gotten a Kimber because it was more expensive? I don't know how else to explain it to you, which is also why I said earlier that no further clarification was needed, but you very much obviously don't get it.

As for some of the later responses, I think it's taken them less patience to give me solid information than it has for you to come on here multiple times and offer nothing with any substance. You didn't even get in on this thread until after I made a response clarifying what I meant.

Yes, Curt = SpeedRacer ;)

LSP972 is an admitted curmudgeon (just look at his user title). But he knows what he's talking about. We're all on the same team here, though some people come off as harsh when the subject matter is important to them. Did LSP972 candy coat his response? No. But I agree entirely with him (in fact we both said much the same thing). I just have a tender touch, while LSP prefers the "I'm too old to worry about offending people" approach. :D

dustyk70

Shamed Liberty
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Leesville, La./ Morocco
    What's with all the drama in this thread? Dude asked a simple question about a subject in which he's ignorant. It's OK to be on a budget and to explore your options before running out and buying something. In fact, it seems the prudent thing to do is to research first... so why flame him for asking? Just because he can't run out and buy the latest tacticool super-duper light for $300 doesn't mean he won't be able to protect his family like some of you guys who have the best of everything. Get off your high horse and quit being so condescending! :rolleyes:
    AMEN to that... Here is the link to the one that I bought, Very bright (150 lumens and LED) and it fits on my Glock and my railed rifles as well. you must have struck a nerve there. LOL http://www.ebay.com/itm/260906060355?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649s

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DRB88
    Top Bottom