Aguila Mini-Shell Sources in Louisiana?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2013
    Near Baton Rouge
    Forum and shotgun newbie here . . . thanks for all the knowledge you guys have bestowed already.

I've been looking for a local vendor who might be carrying the Aguila Mini-Shells . . . those nifty little short shells that unfortunately only work well in single-shot or certain pump-action shotguns. I compromised on capacity (and, I admit, my distinct preference for US manufacture) and went with a pump reputed to cycle those well. My plan was to then park mini-shells in it when loaded for HD, but I've been looking around Baton Rouge / central Louisiana when possible (I do a fair bit of traveling) and have yet to come across any.

I see old threads of folks mentioning the Aguilas and hoped someone might know a local-ish source.

Thanks in advance!

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    Subscribed. Id like to find some locally as well. I wanna put 23 of em in my ksg.

When i lived in LAF, Daves gunshop used to have them in stock. That was a couple years ago.

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    They seem to be pretty cool, I had never seem them in person.. they immediately went to the PILE of ammo.. Ya never know when you need a loadout of 60 rounds of 00 buck ..

cricht0n

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    Zachary
    If I remember correctly, They have them at Jim's in Baton Rouge. May have to ask one of the guys behind the counter.

Gambit

Mall Ninja
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Baton rouge, louisiana
    Ive seen them here and there over the years the only problem is most stores are hesitant to carry them because of their limited compatibility with most shotguns. the appeal is that they are so small that you can increase your capacity in your pump action right? problem! the dont cycle in most off the shelf pumps. you have to get a special carrier to cycle them and that carrier wont work with standard length shells (ive only heard this never confirmed). the only universal compatibility is in break actions which kinda defeats the purpose of getting these shortys. as far as the ksg i have not seen difinitive yes or no compatibility. some people claim that they work but dont offer proof.

Last edited:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2013
    Near Baton Rouge
    There are Youtube videos of various shotguns including the KSG firing them. Winchester 1300s reportedly eat them like candy and it is suggested that the derivative SXP likes them, too.

KSG test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wq6vVNMioVQ

As for finding them locally, I am declaring a tentative bust. I checked out Dave's in Lafayette (he said he stopped carrying them a couple of years ago since they didn't sell well) as well as the Lafayette Shooter store to no avail, and I stopped at a couple of places in central LA a couple of weeks back with no joy.

The Midway website has the #4 and #1 shot combo shells in stock, but the slugs and birdshot (the two things I actually want) are out of stock.

hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    Denham Springs, LA. near B.R.
    Mossberg's and Winchester pump guns will cycle them but a lot of times the shell gets flipped backward on the carrier as its popped out of the magazine. I can get 3 of them in the magazine with the plug in. Its still illegal to hunt with more than 2 shells in the magazine and one in the chamber. I have mostly found them for sale at the gun shows.

tdawg

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 22, 2011
    Im pretty sure Cabela's sells the Herters brand of mini 12ga shotgun shells. I think there made in Italy.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2013
    Near Baton Rouge
    Good to hear. I gave up and used the innernetwebtubes. Still haven't had a chance to really try them. Cycling them (no bang) was hit-or-miss but according to another forum poster somewhere the weight of the loaded mini-shell may throw off the math or something, and they only eject properly when lightened. Basically, he hit the range, fired just fine through his Winchester SXP, and only later did he try just cycling them without firing, and things went haywire, which is pretty much my experience, too except for the "having had a chance to shoot 'em" part.

Just pumping and ejecting resulted in failures to eject, so you end up with two shells trying to get in the barrel, or one flipped around, et cetera. Hopefully I'll be able to test them out soon with all the lead gone out of them. :-)

Top Bottom