Aiming my sidearm with both eyes open.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • St.Francisville

Hardheaded Young'n
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    Wilson, LA
    Hey y'all, I've been training myself to shoot with both eyes open, and I was wondering about something. I'm right handed, but to aim with both eyes open, I have to look down my sights with my left eye to obtain a clear sight picture. Is this normal?

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    You can fool your eyes by placing a small piece of transparent tape on the left lens of your shooting glasses to obscure the sights and only the sights. You still want your peripheral vision. Keeping both eyes open helps tremendously with depth perception.

honestlou

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    You can fool your eyes by placing a small piece of transparent tape on the left lens of your shooting glasses to obscure the sights and only the sights. You still want your peripheral vision. Keeping both eyes open helps tremendously with depth perception.

This is not necessary with a handgun, and a very bad idea for practicing defensive handgun shooting. If you ever need your handgun for self-defense, you don't want to need to get your shooting glasses or look for scotch tape!

blackboltss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    Slidell
    I am right handed and left eye dominate also.. I always thought it was normal... I have a rough time seeing the site with both eyes open. :(

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    This is not necessary with a handgun, and a very bad idea for practicing defensive handgun shooting. If you ever need your handgun for self-defense, you don't want to need to get your shooting glasses or look for scotch tape!

With enough "training" the non-dominant eye will take over.

xobelkcat

tacklebox
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Jul 6, 2007
    Slidell, Louisiana
    I am right hand dominant and left eye dominant. I had no idea that was so common. I always thought I was different.

I have adapted my shooting practices to this and dont have a problem with shooting with both eyes open.

Scooter, what do you mean the non-dominant eye will take over?

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    I am right hand dominant and left eye dominant. I had no idea that was so common. I always thought I was different.

I have adapted my shooting practices to this and dont have a problem with shooting with both eyes open.

Scooter, what do you mean the non-dominant eye will take over?

Yeah its commun, in fact if you watch the shows on the Outdoor Channel on Thursday NIght, Larry Vickers is also crisscrossed LOL.

Top Bottom