Aimpoint red dot on sks

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rabiddawg

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Lafayette, LA
    I mounted an aimpoint on the bolt cover of my sks. I find that it is not very accurate and I believe the poi changes depending on how perfectly centered the dot is. Does this make any sense and what if anything can be done?

Do red dot's not work like a scope? :confused:

dmiculek

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 1, 2006
    Gramercy
    That rear cover ain't exactly solid. I bet you got a bit of shake in it, could be a lot of your problem. Most SKS' are not tack drivers to begin with either.

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    Try Ultimak

I think Ultimak.com will work

Bolt cover bad...ultimak good

In the LOL department
    Probably the scope...them aimpoints ain't nuttn but trouble...I'll give you 50 buks for it unseen

Last edited:

rabiddawg

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Lafayette, LA
    Actually I miss spoke. It is a Simmons not Aimpoint and the gun was given to me by my father. What's cheaper than free:)

Yeah, the cover has a little movement, but I thought the thing would at least shoot some kind of group at 25 yds. Anything smaller than a milk jug has a chance to live another day. Ask the armidillo I missed :o

This was really just an experiment to see if the sks would make a suitable gun for stalking in some really hilly woods. The sporter stock and short barrel allows me to carry it by the pistol grip with one hand without the barrel dragging the ground and I thought the reddot would allow for quick target aquisition.

I have given up on this and started looking for another use for the reddot but I am concerned that it does exactly aim like a scope but more like a sight. Make any sense?

dmiculek

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 1, 2006
    Gramercy
    Try the sight on a different gun to see if it holds it setting. The SKS is certainly better than minute of milk jug, especially at 25 yds. Be certain it ain't the loose nut behind the grip ;)

Sulzer

Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Mar 20, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    This was really just an experiment to see if the sks would make a suitable gun for stalking in some really hilly woods. The sporter stock and short barrel allows me to carry it by the pistol grip with one hand without the barrel dragging the ground and I thought the reddot would allow for quick target aquisition.

it would be a good gun for that, irons should suffice for what you want to do and provide quick acquisition of targets.

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    On red dots IIRC...the closer the target the more critical the dot being centered is ??

The farther ..like over 50 yds it becomes less critical...I don't remember what this is called tho, there is a name for it and IIRC it is more or less depending on quality of scope

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    Originally Posted by Yrdawg
    On red dots IIRC...the closer the target the more critical the dot being centered is ??

The farther ..like over 50 yds it becomes less critical...I don't remember what this is called tho, there is a name for it and IIRC it is more or less depending on quality of scope

You're talking about parallax.

Its a factor with a telescope sight.

Its a non-issue with a holograph red-dot sight. Might be an issue with a tube-type red-dot sight... but I haven't noticed it with my two.

Yep...thats the word...I use a red dot tube type on my AK... I this got this scope from optics planet a couple years ago...called Strikeforce I think...It wasn't cheep...think like 250.00 maybe...it ain't a hi dollar one either but hasn't fallen apart yet

Thats the one I was talking about the parallex thing...still don't know if it affects mine, I try to center the dot anyway

Wouldn't go with another tube type though...it's real hard to use in the dark...but I have a cheep truglo dot thats 40mm tube and shorter...lots better in low light ,it's on my saiga 12 and I haven't killed it yet

Last edited:

headshot

Mentally Hilarious
    Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    Gonzales LA
    With a red dot, eye relief is not critical. See if you can find a more sturdy place to mount, farther up the gun. I bought an aftermarket stock for my AK that has rails built in. This has been the best and sturdiest for me.

When shooting red dots, you do not need to center the dot in the scope. If you can see the dot, that is where the bullet is going to impact. Also try shooting w/ both eyes open.

I have used BSA red dots for years with GREAT results & they are only $30 to $40 a piece. I did have 1 that crapped out on me, but it was on a 50 cal smoke. I have 2 on 22's one on a 30-30 and one on an AK that all work great!

I would not recommend putting this on a gun that you may be defending your life with, but they are great for plinking around.

Top Bottom