Aimpoint vs. ACOG...or "other"?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • goodburbon

Whalmitfahrer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 9, 2008
    Around
    I've been thinking very hard on this question and I keep thinking 1-4x.

This thread has been helpful.
    http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_18/4..._multipurpose_scope_review_thread.html&page=1

I accidentally made the mistake of looking through a trijicon TR24 and...wow. That put me on the path/search for a good 25-300 optic. I personally don't like a reticle without mil dots or something I can use as a reference, and there are several options. I keep going back to that mental image of the Accupoint triangle post reticle though.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    I've been thinking very hard on this question and I keep thinking 1-4x.

This thread has been helpful.
    http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_18/4..._multipurpose_scope_review_thread.html&page=1

I accidentally made the mistake of looking through a trijicon TR24 and...wow. That put me on the path/search for a good 25-300 optic. I personally don't like a reticle without mil dots or something I can use as a reference, and there are several options. I keep going back to that mental image of the Accupoint triangle post reticle though.

My only reservations about the 1-4X optics is that my rifle is already shaping up to be a bit of a piggy, and they don't help. I wish someone made a light <14oz True 1-4X of good quality.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Have you ever shot for speed with both eyes open and magnification? It can be tricky, or downright impossible depending on your eyes and capabilities.

Weigh your likely scenarios and the strengths and weaknesses of both options. You can easily make shots to 200m with an RDS; you don't really need the magnification. Can you perform quick transitions at <25 yards with the ACOG? Which will you be the most likely to do, and which will be most important to you. (Hint-- closer threats are scarier threats.)

Plenty of folks can do it without a problem, so don't be entirely deterred. But you probably ought to try it out and figure out your needs before dropping that kind of cash. Oh, and consider the EOTech-- if it doesn't fuzz out on your eyes anyway.

matholley

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Denham Springs
    As far as the my experience, I fell nothing is better than a red dot/ holographic sight for close engagments. I am a huge fan of the EOTech. Of course, shooting further takes a bit more skill with a red dot/ holographic sight, IMO.
    As far as shooting close targets with an ACOG, it's a training issue, IMO. You can absolutely become deadly at 25 yrds with an ACOG with the right training.

You could also consider on of the many 1-4x (variable powered) scopes out there with an attached mini-red dot. For instance, Nikon makes a 1-4x scope with BDC turrets and a BDC reticle (M-223 1-4x). I think they run about $250 at Midway. Then you can add a Burris Fast Fire for about $200. Also, take into account the cost for mounting options for both.

S/F,
    Matt

SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    I'd go red dot.. I've tried training with ACOG alot and will always be faster with red dot. What really pissed me off after having spend the money on acog is I hit targets better at distance with m16 platform without magnification.... I guess God gave me 20/14 both eyes for a reason. Or maybe just the old aim small miss small. You might wanna try it first.

Mjolnir

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Aimpoint.

BUT... Trijicon has a new RDS THAT HAS A THREE YEAR BATTERY AND FIBEROPTIC FOR DAYTIME USE. I think they call it a " Closed Reflex Sight".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dtd80

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Abbeville, Louisiana
    Comp M4 is still pretty heavy. If you're looking at it at a weight standpoint, maybe other aimpoint optics that weigh less? I am running the Aimpoint pro. 200 yd HITS aren't hard. Now for pinpoint accuracy, you can't beat magnification.

Last edited:

kz45

1911 cool-aid drinker
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    My only reservations about the 1-4X optics is that my rifle is already shaping up to be a bit of a piggy, and they don't help. I wish someone made a light <14oz True 1-4X of good quality.
    Night Force makes a 17oz True 1-4, and its tough as nails, or can be used to drive nails.

Mjolnir

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I have two friends who work there: one a project leader and the other in mfg. I could not say anything about it but now that it's public knowledge... As you stated, pangris, "on paper" it looks awesome. I'm hoping it's as good as advertised. U didn't hear it here but $700 is "about right" as Comp M4 optics MSRP $780 and LaRue mounts are $125. Not sure what he sells his pkg for though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Comp M4 is still pretty heavy. If you're looking at it at a weight standpoint, maybe other aimpoint optics that weigh less? I am running the Aimpoint pro. 200 yd HITS aren't hard. Now for pinpoint accuracy, you can't beat magnification.
    I'm pretty torn. I have heard that the ta33 with occlusion cover can be nearly as fast up close as an aimpoint with some training. I like the no battery aspect of the acog, and that if illumination fails, The reticle is etched.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    CompM4s.

Dan Zelenka, Jay Hunt, and I all shot my crappy Ugly Duckling 5.45 AR with Russian surplus ammo and held the 10 ring at 200 with a 2 MOA dot.
    I love how fast rds are. Is there a good rds with an etched reticle? The tin foil hat in me wants to avoid batteries, but with new ones having a fifteen year shelf life and the optic running for years on one...

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    alwill112
    Top Bottom