Air Rifle

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1911Dave

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Mandeville
    Looking for a good air rifle. Looking to spend up to $250. Want something fairly quiet also. The "quiet" ones I have shot were everything but that. The spring made a ton of noise in the ones I have shot. Just seeing what some of you guys can recommend. Was looking at a few at Academy today but wanted to get some more opinions before I bought one.

Last edited:

enutees

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jul 4, 2010
    Prairieville
    I have the Crossman nitro piston rifle in 22 caliber. I love it and it shoots MOT (minute of turtle head) to 30 yards with plenty of power. It is not quiet though. CCI quiet .22's through an unsuppressed rifle are noticeably more silent. This doesn't matter to me as I've shot 12 gauge in the front yard but if you're in a neighborhood it's too loud.

1911Dave

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Mandeville
    I have the Crossman nitro piston rifle in 22 caliber. I love it and it shoots MOT (minute of turtle head) to 30 yards with plenty of power. It is not quiet though. CCI quiet .22's through an unsuppressed rifle are noticeably more silent. This doesn't matter to me as I've shot 12 gauge in the front yard but if you're in a neighborhood it's too loud.

Lol yeah kind of need it quiet as I am in a subdivision

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Looking for a good air rifle. Looking to spend up to $250. Want something fairly quiet also. The "quiet" ones I have shot were everything but that. The spring made a ton of noise in the ones I have shot. Just seeing what some of you guys can recommend. Was looking at a few at Academy today but wanted to get some more opinions before I bought one.

I bought this:
    Gamo Silent Stalker Air Rifle with IGT, Whisper Technology, 3-9X50 Scope and PBA Platinum Pellets .22 Caliber
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004MYU2L2/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I like it.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Lol yeah kind of need it quiet as I am in a subdivision

I won't say I have shot mine in a subdivision, but if I did, my neighbors would never know as it is about as loud as you dropping a board on the ground, but with more of a pop / air moving sound. To the untrained ear, it doesn't sound like a projectile is moving in excess of 700 FPS. If you're in BR on a weeknight or weekend and want to shoot it you are welcome to drop by. Not that we would shoot it or anything. I would just show you what it looks like and all.

1911Dave

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Mandeville
    I won't say I have shot mine in a subdivision, but if I did, my neighbors would never know as it is about as loud as you dropping a board on the ground, but with more of a pop / air moving sound. To the untrained ear, it doesn't sound like a projectile is moving in excess of 700 FPS. If you're in BR on a weeknight or weekend and want to shoot it you are welcome to drop by. Not that we would shoot it or anything. I would just show you what it looks like and all.

Wound up going with a Benjamin Trail NP .22cal. Read tons of good reviews on it. Supposed to be quieter than spring loaded. We shall see.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Ditto. Im looking at air rifles for subdivision eradication duty
    Offer is open to you as well if you are ever in BR and want to try out my Gamo. Anyone know of a place around here that allows air rifle shooting?

Tigerfish

Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    Prairieville, La
    Offer is open to you as well if you are ever in BR and want to try out my Gamo. Anyone know of a place around here that allows air rifle shooting?

I believe the Highland Road park still allows air rifle shooting. That is when there are actually hay bails up. The sign says Air Gun Range so I'm guessing it's allowed there; I've only shoot my bow there though.

josh62685

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 14, 2012
    houma, la
    I have a 15yr old benjamin .22. Not sure if its quiet as i have nothing to compare it to but i took it out last month and can still hit a empty shotgun shell everytime from a good distance away.

kibb

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 19, 2010
    Lafayette, La
    I'm not sure which Gamo my buddy had, maybe Silent Stalker, one of those $250-$300 deals. He wanted something to shoot that wouldn't disturb the neighbors. Ha, was he wrong. That thing is as loud as a .22.

Last edited:

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I'm not sure which Gamo my buddy had, maybe Silent Stalker, one of those $250-$300 deals. He wanted something to shoot that wouldn't disturb the neighbors. Ha, was he wrong. That thing is as loud as a .22.

I have one and it is definitely not as loud as a .22. I would say it is a little bit louder than a suppressed .22 with .22 shorts.

Top Bottom