Airsoft items on a real firearm

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    Question... Excluding optics, functional items, safety specific items, polymer constructed parts...

If a part is designed well and made of quality CNC Anodized Aluminum, and given the situation or means you would be employing the weapon in civilian life, why would you not want to use something designed for an Airsoft weapon on a real firearm?

For example, a quad rail CNC Anodized Aluminum handguard system.

I understand certain aspects of not using parts designed for "toys", I am just looking for more definite "You should never use that because..." type answers. Please use some factual reasoning if you can. Remember, we're excluding those items that wouldn't work properly anyway... like optics, flash hiders, suppressors, any internal parts of course, polymer parts, etc. I know that the Magpul PTS line wouldn't work on an AR because the polymer construction isn't the same quality or strength required by a firearm such as the AR platform and would more than likely malfunction... but as mentioned above, what about a quality made product?

This isn't about a money thing, or a looks thing... it just came up in a conversation and someone asked it of me.

Thanks in advance to all!

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    You answered your own question with the Magpul PTS statement, just apply the same logic to metal parts. "CNC" and "aluminum" and "anodized" are all VERY generic words. With airsoft grade parts you'll get cheaper alloys machined to looser tolerances with lower quality anodizing and mounting hardware that are not manufactured to withstand the heat and recoil of firearms. They are also typically produced in China with lower quality control standards.

As for a "quality" airsoft product, if it was made that well (ie to real firearm parts standards), then they wouldn't be any cheaper.

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    As for a "quality" airsoft product, if it was made that well (ie to real firearm parts standards), then they wouldn't be any cheaper.

That's the key point. If it was strong enough to handle the pressures and heat of a firearm, it would be marketed as such, and cost more, because they could.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 20, 2014
    Amite, Louisiana
    It is definitely not a good idea to use any key parts from an airsoft gun to replace on an actual firearm. The only thing I would ever try in this form may be the cheaper Magpul mbus sights. You would definitely mess something up with your gun if you tried this.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    djrara323
    Top Bottom