AK 47. The whole story in a couple lines

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gooch1234

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 7, 2013
    St Charles
    Group,

I'm an above average gun guy with several AR's , shotguns and handguns. My next acquisition will be an Ak47. But before I buy, I'm looking for as much information as possible. Just the "meat and potatoes" as they say.

I've googled AK's but there are millions of answers /suggestions. Rather here it from here.

Like average price and basically best brands and ones to stay away from.(maybe someone looking to sell)

Thanks guys. Look forward to your valued opinions

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    I'm not an all knowing AK grand poo-bah, but FWIW, I'm very familiar with an SAR-1, and found it to be a quality gun, very (perfectly from my experience) reliable, solid, no real issues. You could argue that the finish isn't the best and whatnot, but hey, you want an AK. Seems to be better quality than the WASR's I've handled.

spec50trout

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Maybe this is common knowledge, as I know very little on the subject, but I think the Yugoslavian made Kalashnikov is well regarded for quality. The peanut gallery will now remain silent.

sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    Now a VEPR is the way to go, straight from Russia, great quality, all you need is a bullet guide and it takes regular mags... Now I may have a VEPR in 5.45 for sale for reasons I hate....:wtc:

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    Well I am a Saiga (converted) fan. It used to be the best bang for your buck and one of the few ways to end up with a true Russian. In the past few years though, they have had some quality control issues and now with Putin acting an ass and looming import restrictions we may not see many more of them for a while.

sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    Well I am a Saiga (converted) fan. It used to be the best bang for your buck and one of the few ways to end up with a true Russian. In the past few years though, they have had some quality control issues and now with Putin acting an ass and looming import restrictions we may not see many more of them for a while.

You would have to check out my VEPR compared to a Saiga, there would be no comparison the VEPR is awesome...

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    You would have to check out my VEPR compared to a Saiga, there would be no comparison the VEPR is awesome...

Definitely a very well made rifle and better quality than a Saiga. If you want to stay legal though, you have to do much more than add a bullet guide to it. Granted nobody has ever been convicted solely on 922R violation, but with the current brazenness of Uncle BATFuk I personally wouldn't want to risk it. I'm not going to hate on anyone that does though as long as they are making an informed decision and not an accidental one.

The angled receiver used to present a challenge if you wanted to replace those goofy thumbhole stocks, but I see that ace is making a receiver block for them now, so that isn't an issue unless you want to switch it out with traditional AK furniture.

What I really want is a VEPR Pioneer in 7.62x39. Other than a piston change combined with the use of american made mags, I don't think you can make it 922R compliant and keep the furniture. I want one though so I can dig into that new trigger (FCG) and see if there is anyway to replace it with USA made parts.

wwmx16g01sv9y8zt17w.jpg

sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    Have the USA made trigger group, and with that all you need is to use USA mags, or you need to put a US made follower or floorplate on a surplus mag, this whole 922r is pure trash...

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Have the USA made trigger group, and with that all you need is to use USA mags, or you need to put a US made follower or floorplate on a surplus mag, this whole 922r is pure trash...

Agreed on the 922R thing. It is idiotic.

The piston swap is very cheap and easy to do if you have access to a drill press. Then you wouldn't have to worry about what mag you stick in there at all (if you are insanely paranoid like me).

HAMP

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2013
    Bogalusa
    I have shot a couple of arsenals (name brand of the ak) and they seem to be top of the line from what i have seen and heard.

jvr

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 29, 2013
    new orleans
    What is wrong with the real Arsenals? Polytech? I own one of each. They both are great; very reliable; and very accurate. Gun broker has them????? No idea what they run price wise. Mine are both 80's vintage and shoot well. iron wood stocks and us palm mags make it 922r compliant.

Harrisracing

Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    My .02

I have owned:
    SAR-3 in .223
    Intrac MkII 5.45x39
    Yugo NPAP 7.62x39
    Romanian WASR10 7.62x39
    Romanian AES-10B RPK 7.62x39
    IOinc Hellpup 7.62x39 (currently converted to select fire demo gun)
    Century Arms Centurion39 7.62x39 (100% made in USA)
    Norinco NHM-90 .223
    And I'll throw this into the mix - Sig Sauer 556R in 7.62x39

Out of these guns the best shooting and most accurate and best fit and finish the SigSauer. BUT...it's not a REAL AK to the purists. It's got the best optics mount, and it DOES take almost all AK mags, and it comes with a nice warranty, but it's not an AK. And is WAAAAY up there in price compared to most others on the list.

Out of the rest of the group the winners in my opinion are: (and you'll notice on this list that all of these rifles are built in factories ONE TIME and are not built from parts kits)...
    1) Century Arms Centurion39. GORGEOUS gun and just a damn nice build with everything I would want in an AK. Milled receiver, FIXED windage front sights so as to get a gorgeous sight picture without having to compensate for barrel straightness with rear sights, cant etc. Rear sights are Windage adjustable It is also SUPER FRIGGIN ACCURATE! Killer G2 double hook trigger group, all the springs inside are "REAL" springs and not coiled wires turned into springs. The grip mount is better than others. The absolute only downfall of this rifle is that it does NOT have a side optic mount. Chrome lined barrel, GORGEOUS wood and all this for $600!!! There is no comparison on the market currently. Also there may be an issue with changing stocks on this gun, but I'm SURE they will be making aftermarket stuff for it as reviews come out.
    2) Yugo NPAP. Again, incredible fit and finish...great build for an AK because it's built in ONE place ONE time in a factory (ie - not a demilled parts kit). Downfall, different side optic mount so they are hairy to get optic height and relief correct, and they do NOT have chrome lined barrels. They are, however, VERY accurate.
    3) Norinco AKs (any of them). My NHM-90 is in "like new" condition and aside from it looking a bit different than other AK's it is a very accurate rifle and is a great build. I would highly suggest looking at one of these very close if you can find one.

There you go...Again the Centurion39 is taking the win for sure. I can't justify spending MORE THAN TWICE the money on an arsenal that in no way could be any more than 10% better than this rifle.

My Centurion 39 currently wears a Burris FastFire 3 on a Midwest Industries rear sight leaf mount. I did redrill and tap the tiny set screw in the sight mount for an 8/32" set screw and it is INCREDIBLY rigid. As delivered that tiny screw wouldn't snug the rear sight leaf windage dovetail enough to keep the sight from moving up and down (slightly, but enough for me). I can yank this gun out of the safe RIGHT NOW and fire headshots at 100 yds all day. Of course it would also do this with the factory sights, but you can't see those in the dark!

Last edited:

UnseenUSPCompact

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    You can go blind researching all the different variants of AK...but for what its worth, I have a Romy G kit built on a Nodak Spud receiver and absolutely love it. :beer:

jstokes1

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 9, 2012
    Houma
    Arsenal 104 Fr or now Fime group 5.45 Sgl31-95, two awesome rifles, but the 104 Fr is a much better value at 1049. Of is you are looking into 7.62, the SLR 107 Fr is the way to go.

ericlosh

Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    Slidell LA
    i got a yugo npap under folder, its excellent, then i realized that i didnt even come close to a grand on the rifle so i bought a bunch of ammo and mags.

got an ultimak rail and vortex sparc on the way as well.

i need a sling, probably an ms1, i already put the magpul moe grip on it. Refinish the lower handgaurd and BAM

total sex appeal ak, ill get all the girls.

As the other guy up there pointed out, the barrel is not chrome lined, but it is cold hammer forged and i would much rather that feature.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eddie Landry
    Top Bottom