AK accuracy

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Several years ago Precision Shooting or one of their sister mags ran an article about a gunsmith that decided to build an AK for accuracy. He welded up a reinforcement for the barrel/receiver connection. He free floated the barrel, did a trigger job, etc. He was able to get an AK down to just under 1 MOA.

Have ya'll thought about building in some accuracy enhancements when putting an AK together?

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    Nope, Minute of scumbag is all I require out of a fighting rifle.

Besides, when you are shooting from the back of a moving vehicle, running as fast as you can...

it (You) won't be that accurate.

And if you are sitting still when you are on the 2 way firing range:
    1. You are doing it wrong
    2. you are about to find this out. ... The HARD WAY.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    True but improving intrinsic accuracy never hurts.
    He didn't build a match rifle. He didn't use a tight match chamber. What he did was make improvements in the design. It did add some (a little) weight but overall it seemed to be an improvement.

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    Interesting LACamper. How would you free-float an AK barrel?

Really I imaging the best you could do would be to use a longer barrel, then tighten up the tolerances - ie. build a better receiver, then use a telescoping recoil guide.

CajunTim

Premium CoonAss Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2006
    Mandeville, LA
    It would be easy to free float one to the standards of a free floated AR which I don't feel are free floated in my opinion because they have the gas port/return on them still at least I believe they do. Does someone have a photo of a free floated AR with the handguards removed?

I have envisioned in my head an as ugly AK truly free floated with a Bull Barrel it wouldn't be semi though, which defeats the whole thing of haveing a spray and pray killing machine like an AK that requires you not to aim. According to the bill that is trying to pass.

I'm sure one of the more experienced expert marksman will chime in. It is my understanding that the accuracy of a barrel has alot to do with it's harmonics. If you can fingure out the harmonics by trial and error (I believe is the only way)with the donut rings(are whatever they are called) I would believe you could make the AK a little more accurate than they are when mass produced.

Jusy my internet commando thoughts.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    A big part of what this guy did was reducing the bolt/carrier weight. Having half a pound of metal slamming back and forth doesn't improve accuracy.

I really want that article now. Unfortunately, that issue was lost in Katrina. I'll call precision shooting this week and see if they'll send me a copy....

Paul Gomez

www.Gomez-Training.com
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Baton Rouge, More or Less
    I'd be very interested in reading that article. A friend of mine has a .223 AK that shoots MOA or a little better with no reduction in reliability, just a bit more attention to detail on certain aspects of assembly.

Top Bottom