AK Ammo Tula

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    $275, 300 out the door. First time, but I'll have fun with it. I didn't look around, first shop I came across on way home from offshore.

That's actually not terrible for a retail shop. I think even Academy is higher than that. I only buy ammo online, but there is a value to walking in and out with ammo instead of waiting for the UPS guy all week.

And +1 to the site AK Shooter posted, I never buy ammo without checking there first.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    With the AK platform, I never blink at a brand name-- provided it's non-corrosive, as I'm just too lazy and anal to mess with it.

That said, based on my experience with Russian manufacturers of other calibers, I tend to seek out what has worked best for me across the boards. And for that, I look at Barnaul-made stuff first-- including the Brown and Silver Bear lines. A few extra bucks-per-thousand for peace of mind doesn't bother me.

I've seen Tula blow up a handgun, and had a bad lot of Wolf shearing case rims out of an AR chamber that didn't choke on even the nastiest lacquered stuff I could find. YMMV, but I don't bother risking it anymore.

Thebanker

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Baton Rouge/Denham
    I shoot tula, and haven't had any issues so far. Really dirty ammo, and for a little more you can better quality stuff. Like mentioned check with gun-deals.com for great deals shipped to your door.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    $220~ + $30 shipping + total of $250 has been the best prices i have found.

These websites may help. www.ammoengine.com www.gun-deals.com or www.slickguns.com

Gotta watch out though, the really good deals are usually corrosive ammo.

Http://www.ammoman.com has Wolf for $229 shipped. And there's better deals out there, they just tend not to last long. Best bet is to get on mailing lists. A lot of times the stuff is gone before it even makes it on gun-deals.com, etc.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    FYI, Wolf, TulAmmo, and Bear steel case is all made by the same company.

I'll take your word for it.

They are however produced in different factories, from different parts of Russia. And that's the significant thing worth noting.

Federal and Speer are both owned by the same company as well, and produced in different factories. Their products are night and day-- right down to the brass composition.

bonecolctr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2011
    I shoot TulAmmo in both my AR and my AK. I don't have any issues. Feeds great and don't have any issues with ejection. It runs about $4.99 for a 20rnd box so you figure 1000rnds is about $240.00 plus tax... You can order it online, but after you pay shipping it comes out about the same. Give or take $10. I even found .40cal for $12 for 50rnd box the other day and have to say it is great ammo for the price.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I shoot TulAmmo in both my AR and my AK. I don't have any issues. Feeds great and don't have any issues with ejection. It runs about $4.99 for a 20rnd box so you figure 1000rnds is about $240.00 plus tax... You can order it online, but after you pay shipping it comes out about the same. Give or take $10. I even found .40cal for $12 for 50rnd box the other day and have to say it is great ammo for the price.

Ammoman.com has a pretty cool deal right now...$299 shipped for 500rds each of Wolf 9mm, .223 and 7.62x39.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Yeah, I read your original post about it a while back, ran straight to my .45 bucket and started picking through the stuff I had just blindly picked up after a range session.

About 60% of it was small primers. :mad:

On a semi-related note, I find Speer and Federal headstamps in 9mm to reload the best with the Federal SPP I use, and my machine set up. I think the primer pocket has an odd shoulder on the Winchester brass and it's very easy to catch it. Remington and PMC go through almost as easy, with only the very rare snag. And I've noticed that concave shape you're talking about-- mostly on Federal Champion from Wally World. Definitely correlates with what you're saying, so interesting stuff!

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    I basically "traded" the SP .45 brass, in weight, for whatever I could pick out of the range buckets in a few hours. Ended up being mostly 9mm, but that's fine-- it's what I shoot the most anyway.

That's supremely good news about the WIN. I decided to wear my Federal/Speer out before going back to it, and have put several cycles on them in the meantime. I'll have to break the WIN out again (I have more of it than anything else) and soften those pockets up. I actually see evidence of it as well, now that you bring it up-- there's some WIN cases that have snuck into my other brass, and I could ALWAYS tell when one went through the press. Clunk-crunch-- "There goes a Winchester." The past couple of thousand, though, I haven't caught nearly as many. From what I've read/heard, if you're not using too much bell, 9mm will last until the case gets lost or the pockets won't hold primers anymore. Some people still use cases where the headstamp has completely flattened out-- although I'm guessing they're not very hot loads. I imagine a combination of depriming and natural erosion would be the cause-- all of which makes perfect sense in terms of the WIN loosening up.

Very interesting about the small primed .45; I've got the Speer manual, I'll have to take a look at it when I get the chance. I harbored hopes of developing a load for them myself, but that interest faded and I was running out of bucket space!

WeldonHunter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Weldon, LA
    I'll take your word for it.

They are however produced in different factories, from different parts of Russia. And that's the significant thing worth noting.

Federal and Speer are both owned by the same company as well, and produced in different factories. Their products are night and day-- right down to the brass composition.

Not sure how accurate this is but it seems to be close. http://www.ar15.com/content/page.html?id=268
    If nothing else it's interesting reading.

Top Bottom