Ak modification questions

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mwill75

Tinfoil Fitted
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    New Orleans Area
    Maybe some of you hardcore AK guys can answer this for me.

1. What is the difference between an Ak-74u, krinkov, and draco, besides their stocks(or lack thereof)?

2. Do any of these come standard with a 10" or shorter barrel?

3. Is there a standard parts kit to convert a full sized Ak to a short barreled ak pistol?

The reason I'm asking is because I'm interested in an AK pistol, but the dracos i'v seen had an overall length that seemed unappealing to me. I wanted to know if they made any AK varients with shorter gas tubes and barrels than the draco that are sold as pistols or can be easily converted(not interested in SBR). Thanks for the help

madmax4x4

HONKY
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    New Orleans
    1. A: aksu-74 is in 5.45x39. Also has a different rear sight block with the dustcover on a hinge. And a krink will cost a lot more then a Draco.

2. A: yes a mini Draco or a pistol built from a kit by someone.

3. A: you can't "convert" a full sized AK into a pistol. It would then be a SBR with or without the stock in place.

You could get a parts kit and build a pistol from the kit on a virgin receiver, but parts would cost more then a draco before the tools or work. Also most kit built pistols I have seen for sale have a high price tag.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Czfvbv9sF1k&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Last edited:

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    Maybe some of you hardcore AK guys can answer this for me.

1. What is the difference between an Ak-74u, krinkov, and draco, besides their stocks(or lack thereof)?
    Hinged topcover, rear sites, flash hider, gas block/sites, handguards...

2. Do any of these come standard with a 10" or shorter barrel? yes

3. Is there a standard parts kit to convert a full sized Ak to a short barreled ak pistol?No

The reason I'm asking is because I'm interested in an AK pistol, but the dracos i'v seen had an overall length that seemed unappealing to me. I wanted to know if they made any AK varients with shorter gas tubes and barrels than the draco that are sold as pistols or can be easily converted(not interested in SBR). Thanks for the help

Krink pistol is abut your only option, and you might as well go with the Krink (I have a couple for sale if yoru interested)

Some have 8 and some 9 inch barrels IIRC. Don't recall which is which.

Mwill75

Tinfoil Fitted
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    New Orleans Area
    Krink pistol is abut your only option, and you might as well go with the Krink (I have a couple for sale if yoru interested)

Some have 8 and some 9 inch barrels IIRC. Don't recall which is which.

Mind show'n me an example of what you're selling. Also how much are they? I probably won't buy right this minute because i have a couple of other purchases going on but i do plan on picking one up sooner than later.

Mwill75

Tinfoil Fitted
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    New Orleans Area
    Thanks for the info all. It started out as a simple question I had, but the more i researched the more confusing and conflicting info i got. It's nice to get some straightforward answers.

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    Top Bottom