AK Prices....

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EJAIII

Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Mar 18, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Color me slow...but before the panic you could pick up a decent used AK for $300. You can still buy a new one for $550. I don't understand how some are asking and some paying $800 and $900 for an AK...Then again, I'm not overly bright.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Saying "how much does an AK cost" is like saying "how much does a car cost". The prices vary wildly based on manufacturer and model. You have to compare apples to apples, and personally I haven't noticed prices much higher at all, if any. I thought the Russian embargo would make prices crazy but surprisingly it hasn't seemed to have much affect.

freedive10

-Global Mod-, Caballoloco
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Mandeville
    I think he's talking about WASR prices. Yeah, it's what I paid for a new one long ago. Prices of These same ones have gone up another $200. You have always had to pay more for the good ones. It's just that people always figured an AK is an AK so they bought on the lower end. Days of cheap from back in the day are over my friend. I remember paying $.99 per gallon of gas when in college. Oh, the good old days......

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I think he's talking about WASR prices. Yeah, it's what I paid for a new one long ago. Prices of These same ones have gone up another $200. You have always had to pay more for the good ones. It's just that people always figured an AK is an AK so they bought on the lower end. Days of cheap from back in the day are over my friend. I remember paying $.99 per gallon of gas when in college. Oh, the good old days......

WASRs are not $800-900. If you paid that you got swindled!

Prices of AKs have risen steadily over the years mainly due to increased import restrictions. Unlike ARs that are easily manufactured here, AK manufacturers are at the mercy of parts importation. Demilled parts kits are a fluctuating and finite resource. That said, you can still walk into a gunshop and buy a decent AK for $500ish, which isn't unreasonable. But no, they are not the cheap guns they used to be and probably never will be again. With AR prices plummeting, I think demand for the AKs will decrease and drive the prices down some though.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    It's been a long time since you could get a decent AK for $400, $500. Probably 8, 9 years ago. WASRs were in the $300s, but even then you had to shop hard to find for that price.

freedive10

-Global Mod-, Caballoloco
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Mandeville
    WASRs are not $800-900. If you paid that you got swindled!

Prices of AKs have risen steadily over the years mainly due to increased import restrictions. Unlike ARs that are easily manufactured here, AK manufacturers are at the mercy of parts importation. Demilled parts kits are a fluctuating and finite resource. That said, you can still walk into a gunshop and buy a decent AK for $500ish, which isn't unreasonable. But no, they are not the cheap guns they used to be and probably never will be again. With AR prices plummeting, I think demand for the AKs will decrease and drive the prices down some though.

Give me a little credit Speed! Paid $300.

Untranslate

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 12, 2012
    From what i hear or rather dont hear the new Romanian (romy) WASR-10s do not suffer from the problems the older ones did (canted sites). There are good deals out there if you keep an eye out. The Yugoslavian AKs are good quality especially if you can find an O-pap for around $500. The N-pap is good too it just lacks the reinforced sides of the O-pap. Which does not make any difference with a 16 inch barrel and no full auto. They were selling Romy AES10b (RPK) a while back for $599 and $499 minus the bi-pod. That was a steal while they were around. The Vepr line of AK rifles are great but you got to catch them on sale.
    There are also the premium AKs out there for $800 plus but a lot people seem to have the opinion that there is little difference to justify the pricing.
    But with the possibility of Siaga producing AK inside the us by years end good AK deals should start poping up again soon.
    keep an eye on sites like J&G, Classic firearms, centerfire systems, and slickguns.

Rainsdrops

Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Nov 17, 2010
    Houma
    Saying AK prices are overly inflated, is a generic statement.
    Need more specifics. Are we talking WASRs, saigas, veprs, etc
    I paid much more than $500, for my ak74su, and it's worth every penny. I've seen a CIA, that i wouldn't give a handshake for.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Is that American made AK posted above the milled ones? I even got a sale paper a month ago or so with the Milled one at 600 with the gray laminate stock and 2 mags
    I was looking window shopping at Gunbroker and saw they now make milled and stamped here in the good ol USA
    So also have second part question are the milled as good as the stamped better ect? Opinion please

asianpersuasion

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Seabrook/BR
    There is a company that broke away from IO (Randon?) And are going to make AKs over here in Tejas
    Also PSA showed their AK at SHOT rigjt now. But they also showed a 1911 last yr at SHOT

Last edited:

hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    Denham Springs, LA. near B.R.
    I think the Polish manufacturer Radom is establishing a plant in Texas. I saw this might be a good deal. $379 I don't know too much about AK's.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/century-vz2008-7-62x39-w-3-mags-cleaning-kit-sling.html

That's not an AK, its a VZ2008 which is a better rifle than an AK, IMO. Mine shoots great and with my old eyes, less than 2" groups at 50 yards with the iron sights. I can't quite make out the targets at 50 yards or 100 yards without magnification like I could back in my 30's when I could shoot 1" groups at 100 yards with peep sights.
    I bought a 10rd magazine to use for hunting from Czechpoint-usa.com who markets it as the VZ58 at a substantially higher price.
    I'd say an AK is probably a better deal if your going to do a lot magazine dumps and high volume shooting as the VZ will get a lot hotter to handle.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom