AK questions

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • marco

Family Friendly
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Sulphur LA.
    After reading the slight topic shift in the .300 BO thread I'm kind of curious. IF the AK does break or malfunction, what are they and where in the rifle are they? How easy are they to repair or fix? Is it as easy to repair or replace parts like the AR or do you need to machine certain things, cut rivets, weld etc? I like them just fine except the magazine insertion but that's just me.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    The weakest thing on a AK is the operator.....That and I have worn out a spring on a disconector once.Other than that they are pretty tuff.

Unless someone other than Benji puts it together. ;)

As in... the monkeys at Century.

I've seen bad rivets, warped pins, ridiculously bad internal welds... Things that would shut any machine down, IOW-- for good.

To semi-answer the OPs question-- if something does go down on your AK, it's not going to be as easy to replace as on an AR due to sheer parts availability. We don't stock extra bolts, springs, hammers, etc. for guns that aren't made in this part of the world. SOME internals are manufactured stateside-- the Tapco triggers, for example. But some commie stuff, suffice it to say, is in short supply 'round these parts.

Have no fear, though-- in a SHTF situation, you just need to stroll down the nearest trailer park and pick up another complete rifle. :hsugh: Ghettos are a nice secondary source, of course. :flamed:

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    The only part I've seen, or heard first hand breaking is the firing pin. Any of the operational parts (FCG, bolt carrier, recoil spring, etc) are easily replaced. If you did bust a rivet or crack a trunnion, chances are it will still run. If something in the receiver were to completely fail somehow, the repair would require a good bit of work and AK builder tools. Same goes with the barrel, if you were to shoot it out (you won't), it is not plug-and-play like the AR.

All that said, it's just not even a concern. The chances of breaking anything on even a mediocre quality AK are slim.

Rakkasan

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2010
    Slidell
    Go to a forum such as the AK files and look at the threads posted on abused aks that still function. I've seen them run over in Iraq and still function. I actually had one go under during Katrina, never cleaned for 7 years, was damn near rusted solid but still functioned after kicking the bolt carrier free with my foot. Almost can't kill em.

#1bambam

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Oct 14, 2007
    The Nasty New Orleans.
    If I were in the city or woodsand needed to rely on a rifle I would rather have the cheapest AK in the world over any other rifle in the same classification.With a dremil and a hammer you can repair/build one.Hell you can rip the receiver off the front trunion and with a pair of pliers and a rock you will at least still have a single shot weapon.You can take a 2 inch barrel stub and make a pistol with it.To cool it off my 74 likes to be submerged in dirty water after a few mag dumps.The only"bad" thing about them is that a AK is so tuff you have to have 2 safes one for AKs and one for other rifles because the AKs will beat up and humiliate the other rifles.:)

Cpt. Obvious

not so newbie
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 10, 2011
    West Bank/Algiers, LA
    If I were in the city or woodsand needed to rely on a rifle I would rather have the cheapest AK in the world over any other rifle in the same classification.With a dremil and a hammer you can repair/build one.Hell you can rip the receiver off the front trunion and with a pair of pliers and a rock you will at least still have a single shot weapon.You can take a 2 inch barrel stub and make a pistol with it.To cool it off my 74 likes to be submerged in dirty water after a few mag dumps.The only"bad" thing about them is that a AK is so tuff you have to have 2 safes one for AKs and one for other rifles because the AKs will beat up and humiliate the other rifles.:)

well said sir. They are tough bastards.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    The only part I've seen, or heard first hand breaking is the firing pin. Any of the operational parts (FCG, bolt carrier, recoil spring, etc) are easily replaced. If you did bust a rivet or crack a trunnion, chances are it will still run. If something in the receiver were to completely fail somehow, the repair would require a good bit of work and AK builder tools. Same goes with the barrel, if you were to shoot it out (you won't), it is not plug-and-play like the AR.

All that said, it's just not even a concern. The chances of breaking anything on even a mediocre quality AK are slim.

I've never actually seen something break-- just be incorrectly assembled.

Aside from the couple of YouTube videos of them blowing up in some third world pit... I don't believe I've ever heard of another failure until your firing pin story. :dunno:

Truth be told, my AK is the only firearm for which I don't stock spare parts-- despite the fact that it gets shot more than some of the others. I may pick up a pin and a disco spring, after reading this thread-- just in case.

CPL_Primeaux

AK-holic
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    Lafayette ,Slidell,Abbeville
    I cant think of a time I ever saw one break... unless they got blown up or something. Parts are cheap on them also so you can get you one or two extra pins and gas tubes. Maybe a bolt if you wanted to be safe just in case. I would bet your great grand kids still wouldnt need to use them.

SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    I've seen alot of century guns that would not run reliable. They probaby could have been made reliable but were not at all off the shelf.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I've seen alot of century guns that would not run reliable. They probaby could have been made reliable but were not at all off the shelf.

Like Sin-ster said, some are built bad from the beginning. That's a whole different ball of wax.

If properly built, there's no parts that typically break.

SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    Whats not to love?

1282924380142.gif

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Which one do you use?

I've messed with several, multiple times. Bulgarian, Russian, Polish, Yugo...I hate all of them. One was much easier than the others (I believe Polish IIRC) but I swap all of mine out with retainer plates anyway. I like to tinker and clean up the triggers, which means a lot of dissassembly and reassembly. The plates are well worth the $4!

AK shooter

Redneck with a gun!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Raceland
    I've messed with several, multiple times. Bulgarian, Russian, Polish, Yugo...I hate all of them. One was much easier than the others (I believe Polish IIRC) but I swap all of mine out with retainer plates anyway. I like to tinker and clean up the triggers, which means a lot of dissassembly and reassembly. The plates are well worth the $4!

I have never used the retainer plates. I use the bottom one in this picture, it is the easiest as far as wire retainers are concerned.
    hooksall.jpg

When i build a kit I make my own with trigger parts that come with the kit.
    0bbb3f35.jpg

1d221580.jpg

f91fb582.jpg

Enraged Gecko

Rating - 81.8%
    9   2   0
    Jun 14, 2012
    Walker, La
    Kalashnikov pattern rifles are ridiculously dependable weapons, if properly assembled, due to the loose tolerances, chromed piston and bore, and the tapered cartridge.

Using cheap magazines or an AK chambered for a caliber with a straight case (5.56mm) will cause reliability issues from time to time

Top Bottom