AK scope rail removal

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • francis8709

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    I have an Century WASR 10/63 and don't ever plan to use the side scope fixture. I like the cleaner look. I am thinking of removing it. The only problem is the rear trunion rivet.
    How can I replace the rivet after I drill it out without investing in specialized tool? I was thinking of grinding a punch to fit the rounded head and just hammering it.
    Any ideas or solutions are welcome.

AK shooter

Redneck with a gun!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Raceland
    Once the rail is removed there will be 2 holes in the side of the reciever. The rear trunnion will have to be removed and the rivets drilled out and then re rivited to reciever. It would be easier to leave it.

AK shooter

Redneck with a gun!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Raceland

This is what your reciever will look like when the rail is removed. There is a large dimple where the center rivet was, plus the 2 holes where the rivets were.

Harrisracing

Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    And how about ADDING one to an AK? I have a milled Centurion 39 and was wondering if I should try to drill/tap or run rivets for a side mount.

I'd leave it on a WASR...they make some nice red dots out there that really would help on something like that if for nothing more than a night sight (illuminated). Illuminated sights add a lot of real world usability IMO.

AK shooter

Redneck with a gun!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Raceland
    And how about ADDING one to an AK? I have a milled Centurion 39 and was wondering if I should try to drill/tap or run rivets for a side mount.

I'd leave it on a WASR...they make some nice red dots out there that really would help on something like that if for nothing more than a night sight (illuminated). Illuminated sights add a lot of real world usability IMO.

If I were going to use a red dot I would go with the ultimak and a micro aimpoint. If I remember correctly they co-witness.

Last edited:

frankinola

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 3, 2012

Harrisracing

Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Francis: leave the side rail it does not hurt anything and if you want to add an RS Regulate scope mount later for red dot or scope.

Harrisracing: if you just want a red dot then consider
    http://ultimak.com/BuyAK.htm
    and add primary arms red dot
    https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_Arms_Micro_Dot_With_Fixed_Base_p/md-fbgii.htm

if you want to add a scope then you are going to want to find an AK smith who knows what they are doing.

I have one with a Texas Weapon Systems Dog leg upper dust cover rail, and another with the Midwest Industries rail with a Burris FFIII on it. Neither of these cowitnesses "nicely"...especially considering the money involved to do it.
    MI mount ($75) + BFFIII ($250) = $325
    TWS Dog leg ($150) + Primary arms ($80) = $230
    ULTIMAK ($98) + Primary arms ($80) = $180

So the MI mount and the Ultimak do not allow magnified optics.
    The TWS DOES allow magnified optics, but doesn't cowitness as well as the others.
    The Ultimak is a PITA to remove for cleaning and no longer can you clean the gas tube well without tools to remove the sight / re-zero the optic.

Honest to goodness, I think the side rail is a great invention...as it allows the VERY nice for the money POSP scopes ($240) or the PKA / PKO V red dots ($260-300) to be mounted and the sights to be used even with scope mounted. Also most of them are quick detach mounts with combat turrets and the mounts usually return to zero just fine after removal. These are the benefits you have to avoiding some of the other "solutions" to the mounts. I bought the TWS because the milled Centurion 39 (GREAT AK btw), does not have a side mount.

frankinola

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 3, 2012
    i have two setup with ultimak and PA fixed based micro dot and able to use out to 200 yards that co-witness with the irons. the ultimak stays mounted, I use a 12ga mop to clean the gas tube.

have you checked with Khyber Pass Tactical in Gonzales to see if they can add the rail?

Top Bottom