all screwed up ,,shooting hands/eyes

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Asc.rudeboy

Walmitfahrer tactical#103
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 14, 2008
    so here we go
    im a left handed person that does everything right handed,except write and draw..i catch left and throw right.hold my drink in my right everything but i can pass off to my left if need be and stil have control..i can shoot right or left handed with a psitol but only right with a rifle...but im so right eye dominant that i cant even think about ligning up the sight on a rifle with my left eye.and this causes the problem with pistol shooting...

now shooting right handed feels natural i can line up the sight easlily and fell comfortable.i started shooting right because i do everything with my right and thats just how i learned... using 2 hands or single hand.

shooting left hand if shooting with both hands i hold it the same as right handed only in revers grip but the pistol tilted toards the 1 oclock position to line up with my right eye,,if i shoot 1 handed i end up leaning the pistol towards the 2 oclock position,,not full gangster lean but somewhere inbetween gangster and proper 12 oclock,,,i line the sights up very easy and fast this way..if i make a concentrated effort i can shoot it in the 12 oclock but if i just raise and shoot it will be leaning to the side./ <--about that angle maybe a little more..

even tho i shoot right handed 80% of the time i think with some more practice i could shoot just as well with my left hand maybe even a little better,i think i could do faster reloads,clear the chamber faster with my right hand wile holding it with my left...,i switch from right to left will practicing easily the only thing that changes is the grip and the angle of the pistol...sometimes ill shoot 1/2 a mag with a right hand then switch to left inbetween shots and all that changes is the angle of my head,,,i have to move my right eye behind the sight of the pistol,,,but if i lean the pistol i can hold the same position......

so after all that trying to explain my problem,,,should i make myself shoot with my left hand with no lean or should i embrace the lean as long as i can effectivley hit what i am aiming at...

any advice will help,,thanks

AK shooter

Redneck with a gun!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Raceland
    The easiest way that i have heard to fix left eye dominance, if you want to keep shooting right handed. Get an eye patch and wear it while you are shooting and over time it will train your right eye.

Asc.rudeboy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 14, 2008
    i had to do the patch thing as a kid,because my left eye is lazy as (insert racial humor here) i have to wear contacts to correct the problem or id be walking around like D-BO

the problem is shoting with my off hand,,,wich i think became my off hand by proxiy because of my eye issue...i am more then comfotable shooting right hand right eye,,i just want to be just as good left hand right eye and was wondering if the natural lean to line up the sights should be something i should force myself not to do..

AK shooter

Redneck with a gun!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Raceland
    It will not hurt anything to try the eye patch. If you are comfortable shooting the way things are I would not worry about it.

LCPL 4

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 30, 2007
    Badger Free Zone
    I've always read that you should shoot with the dominant eye. I myself am right-handed but shoot lefty due to this. It is also recommended not to use an eye patch due to an increase in eye strain from either keeping your eye closed under the patch or because of the different lighting conditions. You want to keep both eyes open with the same amount of light reaching each one. Cheap method to do so and not "mess with your head" - place a piece of translucent tape over your non-dominant eye lens of your safety glasses or get a piece of sand paper and scuff it up.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    the problem is shoting with my off hand,,,wich i think became my off hand by proxiy because of my eye issue...i am more then comfotable shooting right hand right eye,,i just want to be just as good left hand right eye and was wondering if the natural lean to line up the sights should be something i should force myself not to do..

It is normal to cant your weapon slightly shooting off hand only. I really dont know anybody who shoots offhand that holds it perfectly vertical.

Asc.rudeboy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 14, 2008
    i do shoot with both eyes open but to line up a shot with my left eye i would have to **** my right eye because it takes over,then the vesion is not as strong as my right,,i have to make myself use my left eye its not a natural thing to do on its own,,,,i have to fight my right eye for control,,,,,i guess its hard to explain if you have natural 20/20 vision

looking at my sourondings both eyes work together,,,but when i focus on something,,front sight,,reading something at distance my right eye does the majority of the work...i can switch dominance to the left but then it makes my right eye turn in (haha i know im ****t),,,but it dosnt happen together working 50/50 one eye is in more control my right eye is a lot stronger then my left.so its always working harder..

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    You should always use the same eye (dominant), regardless of which hand you are shooting with. I don't find that I "lean" the pistol, instead I adjust my entire "arm assembly" over to line up with my eye the best I can. It just seems natural that way for me though, not something I practiced or worked on.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    My wife is wrong eye dominant. I've tried to correct her, but she's uncooperative... she shoots OK though, and yes she leans it a bit. As it works I don't mess with it any more.
    She doesn't shoot much anyway.

Question though, how do you do with red dot sights? I haven't tried her on one yet.

Asc.rudeboy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 14, 2008
    ive only tried a cheap one on my AR but it didnt give me any problems..but thats shooting right handed,,,,i didnt try shooting off my left shoulder with it. but i think it would be easier then iron sights

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eddie Landry
    Top Bottom