Allot of guns I don't use

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    I don't hunt any more and rarely get to the range. I'm really considering selling off allot of my collection and putting the money to my truck which is almost paid for. And maybe treating myself to something smallish that I would use more often. I would keep some basic stuff and some of my favorites but am reaching the point of not caring about the rest of it. Kinda feeling like it's just a waste of funds. I don't need the money but it's still money I'm feeling is better off spent elsewhere.
    Anyone else ever considered similar?

BayouSlide

See ya at the range
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    On the Bayou Teche, La.
    Sure…sell a bunch what you don't shoot and get one that you really like, especially if none of them have any special meaning to you. Plenty always available for sale if you change your mind later. I recently sold a really nice customized competition gun I wasn't going to use much (if at all) anymore and put the money into something new (and cheaper) that I shoot all the time. They are only things and things come and go in our lives :thumbsup:.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I considered it and followed through and haven't been a bit sorry. Of course it was the timing that brought it on. When the guns and ammo scare hit recently I decided to consolidate calibers and firearms. I sold off a bunch of ammo and a few guns as well as a ton of steel and alluminum AR mags I had bought by the box from mil surp in the late 80's. saved the cash til things cooled off and bought what I wanted. Did the same thing back on the Clinton days but seems like I made out better back then.
    Not a bad idea at all, Sandman.

JCcypress

Gun Trust Lawyer
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I did a pretty big purge a few years ago. For a while the collection had gotten too big and was burdensome to maintain/store. I used some of the money toward debt and invested in some solid firearms that I really enjoy owning and shooting. No regrets.

SMR412

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 30, 2014
    P-ville
    I don't have enough to say I have too many and I have made it a point to only have a few calibers.
    I don't want or need "specialized" guns for very specific purposes, just make due with my few and try to get as good at using them as possible.
    Like stated above, you can always buy more.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I did a pretty big purge a few years ago. For a while the collection had gotten too big and was burdensome to maintain/store. I used some of the money toward debt and invested in some solid firearms that I really enjoy owning and shooting. No regrets.

Same. While I've owned/bought/sold/traded around 40 guns, I think the most I had at one time was around 12 guns. As of right now I'm down to 6. Two ARs, two Glock 19s, an 870 12GA and a 10/22. I basically got rid of my wants/collectibles and got down to what I feel I "need". I used the money from selling to buy ammo, training, buy better versions of my "need" guns, and pay off debts.

Are there times I still miss some of the guns I've sold? Sure, especially when I come across old pics of them. But the feeling never lasts long when I get realistic about the fact I rarely shot any of them. To me, the feeling of having a handful of life-dependable guns, and investing in learning how to use them far outweighs having a safe full of dust collectors. If the day comes that I can afford to do both, I'll definitely up the collection again. But until then...priorities.

CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    Just did this not too long ago.
    Sold pretty much everything off. Kept 3 .38spl snubbies, a Bersa .380 for the wife, a keltec .380 for bike riding or formal dressing and a S&W 3000 12ga pump with 18" bbl. Only thing I might pickup later is a 12ga O/U. I had more important things to do with the money than let it sit around collecting dust in a safe.

Last edited:

JBE

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    Welsh, LA
    I have one that I bought more or less on an impulse over a year ago and it really doesn't fill a need for me. I'm usually the type who doesn't buy something unless I have a specific need for it. It's never even been fired and has been sitting in the box it came in since I bought it. I've been thinking about selling it for a while now but every time I go to list it I change my mind.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    Selling guns to pay off a vehicle is a poor financial decision. The guns have lost all the value they are going to lose, the vehicle will continue to lose value. Unless you are in a bind for the cash, I wouldn't do it.
    If anything, sell what you don't use and buy nicer guns that you will use. The only time I have ever sold any guns was to buy other guns I wanted more.

Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    If I have a gun that doesn't serve a purpose, then it is gone. I'm not a collector nor do I get emotionally attached to them.

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    I don't hunt any more and rarely get to the range. I'm really considering selling off allot of my collection and putting the money to my truck which is almost paid for. And maybe treating myself to something smallish that I would use more often. I would keep some basic stuff and some of my favorites but am reaching the point of not caring about the rest of it. Kinda feeling like it's just a waste of funds. I don't need the money but it's still money I'm feeling is better off spent elsewhere.
    Anyone else ever considered similar?

Often.

I'm back and forth on the issue.

Although I will agree with not selling them to fund a depreciating asset.
    I've considered selling and buying a rental condo, and I may, but now is not the time to sell. (Or I would be... I tried)

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    Selling guns to pay off a vehicle is a poor financial decision. The guns have lost all the value they are going to lose, the vehicle will continue to lose value. Unless you are in a bind for the cash, I wouldn't do it.
    If anything, sell what you don't use and buy nicer guns that you will use. The only time I have ever sold any guns was to buy other guns I wanted more.

I disagree entirely. Sure the vehicle will continue to lose value, but you aren't paying it off to resell it, you are paying it off to avoid interest. My insurance company charges less for vehicles owned than those still being paid off, the same may be true for his. Additionally, the vehicle is a much greater necessity than a bunch of random guns. Right now he isn't in a position where he needs to sell, that is the best spot to be in for a seller. The only issue is the current market. If they are wood, they should do much better than if they are black. I'd hold on to black until the prices start to come up again.

Last edited:

Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la

Your point doesn't apply if it's something he's already "bought". If he was selling it to go buy something that's going to depreciate, not a good idea..but he is already going to pay it no matter what.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Same here, I think I was past 40 guns at 1 time at 1 point... Consolidated down to about 20, been through about 70 probably though....

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    For those who have sold their guns-how did you do it?

Your options are pretty much:
    Websites (Like Bayoushooter)
    Gunbroker/Gunsamerica etc
    Word of mouth
    Gunshows (Buying a table)

Consignment
    Auction (Depending on your collection)
    Selling all of it to someone who will give you less, but take them all (Usually resell some/all)
    Something I'm forgetting but was thinking of when typing this list (Was distracted, sorry... someone will fill in)

Last 3 will result in you getting minimum 10-20% less, but will take less of your time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DRB88
    Top Bottom