Alumacraft boats at Academy

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jbadjones

Rating - 96.7%
    119   4   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Natchitoches
    Been eyeballing boats lately and I was just wanting some opinions on these. This is just for some simple strolling around local rivers, and some light fishing. Maybe about a trip every month I'd say. My intentions are first to get a decent trolling motor, and then a low power outboard (2.5 HP or so). Any recommendations of something better, in about the same price range or just a bit more expensive? Any help or insight is appreciated!

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    If it has rivets they will eventually leak. If this is a long term investment bump up and get something all-welded. If its something you think you will get rid of or upgrade from in 5 years then you should be fine.

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    my dad has a 16' v hulled alumacraft boat that is at least 25 years old.

it has been everywhere from lake Erie with a 25hp motor and 3'+ seas to many small bottom scraping creeks.

yes some rivits will occasionally leak, after several years, but its just drops and will seal right up with a bit of rtv. as a matter of fact 4 years ago he was injured at work and didnt look at it for several months. it was full of water on the trailer with 2" of ice on top.

my advise is to get a used one, they do not hold their resale, but for the price you cant beat them.

rossdout

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    cant speak for the alumacraft boats with the rivets from academey, but I purchased a 2011 alumacraft all welded 16ft and it has been 100% and I have run it real hard in all types of conditions for hundreds of miles and accidentally slammed it into a few docks, stumps, trees and other mysterious objects from florida to texas without a hickup.

kenner70065

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 25, 2013
    kenner
    I bought a 14 ft last summer for 700 ish. And a trolling motor setup for 350. Then a go devil for 700. Close to 2 gramd into the proje t amd I didnt even have a trailer. Just look at Craigslist boats for the 2200 ish range. There are alot of options.

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    Just my opinion.
    If you plan on powering it with a outbaord and putting it on a trailer, look for a good condition used boat and you will be a lot of money ahead. Outboards are very expensive new and newer ones hold their value rather well. That little 2.5 hp is right at a grand new and a good reliable used one sells for over 500 unless it is old.
    As for riveted vs welded, unless you will be abusing it in the swamp and beating it to death, riveted is just fine for a small boat. I have a 15' riveted 1969 model that I got from another member here and it does just fine. Yes, the rivets will eventually leak some, but they just seep water, not like you are going to sink even if a rivet is missing. My 16' 52" bottom is also riveted and is now almost 10 years old, not a single rivet leak.
    Now, if you are just going to run a trolling motor for quite a while and maybe throw a small outboard on it when you run across a deal, grab the alumacraft and keep the registration current and you will be fine. You probably wont find a good condition 14' with papers used under $500. There are a few other brands out there and I dont know which ones are best in that price range. My 16' is a lowe, but the bare hull is almost 3 grand. Only experiene I have with the alumacraft from academy is in the 10' variety and will say it was a solid boat that could easily take twice its rated load without issue.
    Again, just my experience, ask 10 people, you will likely get at least 9 different answers.

Top Bottom