Always Spot Test When Cleaning

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gumbo

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Lafayette
    Just because you have safely used product A on all of your other guns doesn't mean it's safe for gun X. Used Ballistol in the green can to clean my SCAR and, against my better judgement, didn't bother to spot test because it's been safe for everything else. Two days later I took the rifle out of its case for a little fondling and to my horror, the upper had gone from flat black to flat grey. It's like the Ballistol dehydrated the metal. When I apply gun oil to the upper, the original color comes back, so I've been slopping it on every day praying I don't have to get my brand new rifle refinished.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    My Daniel Defense lower is the same way, even before I ever cleaned it. I think that's just how certain finishes are. I wipe it down with a silicone cloth to make it all shiny for pictures.

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    Because finishes aren't just cosmetic, they're functional.

Yes, but all you said was that it changed the color. Not that it removed it etc.

I shot a AK74 so hot that the phosphate changed from Grey to green.

Here we are years later and it's a nonissue.

But then, Other than my collectibles, I use my guns.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    I've had similar experiences on several different firearms-- and just like you say, it's as if the solvent dries out the finish. You can actually feel the difference.

The best example I've found (with my cleaning practices) is the Nitron finish on my P226. That sucker almost gets ashy, using even the most gentle of solvents. I just take a large patch, soak it with oil and go to town. Even wiped clean, the finish is glossy and smooth and shows none of the "drying" effect at all.

I've also observed the same thing on several ARs, as others have mentioned. Phosphate BCGs, park'd barrels, etc. I wouldn't be too worried about it, honestly. I understand your concern of course, being a brand new and very expensive toy.

tactical723

3 Gun / F Class Player
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    Northshore - Covington, LA
    Thats unusual, when I was shooting Cowboy Action, those guys used Ballistol on everything including wood / plastic. My understanding it is a milder of the lubricants and somewhat eviro firendly

Top Bottom