Am I jaded?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

dwhess504

Broke Joke
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 7, 2011
    Ponchatoula, La
    SO the more I look at these Police videos on Youtube.... Various Topics from Open Carry Harassment , Police videoed blatantly violating rights, to the latest marine guy getting pushed around when he was on his sons Eagle Scout walk.

Dont get me wrong I have complete respect for our LEO. Although I havent done anything that would even warrant such attention. I was watching "cops" last night and I just cant get over how the police manipulate the subjects with comments like "are you doing anything you shouldnt be?" of course they say "no" then the LEO proceeds with "then you wont mind if I search your car right" of course not they say. then they search and find whatever. then LEO proceed with "is there anything else I should know about, If you tell me now it will make everything better for you" so they give up whatever else they have. Then LEO says "ok sir you are under arrest for XYZ." Then the Citizen is Shocked! I mean come on!!

Just Like I read about / youtube LEO walking up to "suspicious" people requesting ID so they can run their info. I hate that I even agree that it is close to the "let me see your papers" thing.

So what I am really just trying to figure out If I am becoming jaded towards LEO's? I mean I am very open minded and maybe thinking in another life I should have become a defense attorney. Most do agree the current political climate is trying to further take away our rights.

Are their others Like me out there? or am I off my rocker?

Hattrick 22

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Kenner, Louisiana
    Personally I don't.

I think they are sometimes baited into those situations.

Other times I think they should know better and not overstep the authority they have.

They have good and bad cops I just try to be nice so I can't tell the difference lol.

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    The world is full of assholes. Some grow up to be criminals, some grow up to be upstanding members of society, and some even grow up to be cops.

Yes, you are jaded. Most times, only the few assholes get put on youtube, or make the news or make bogus arrests in the paper. Drama is what it is about baby. If I put up a normal video of me getting pulled over for speeding and the cop was respectful, nice and maybe even only gave me a warning would it be worth watching? I wouldn't click on a video titled "Polite officer gives me warning for running a stop sign." I'm quick to click on one that says "Out of control officer tazes baby!".

ymmv

Last edited:

Trey@IG

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Northshore of Chocolate City
    like vermiform said there are assholes everywhere. ive seen them in the marines, ive seen them as cops, doctors, air force you name it. ive also seen outstanding cops, marines, doctors etc. heres a video to maybe help your jadedness

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    Open carry with a MP5 look alike, and you wonder why cops are concerned? I like that cop in the video rssxy, about like 99% of the cops I have dealt with. Love how he did not fumble when function testing the firearm. Shows some good training.

Just out of curiosity OP, if you were concealed carrying at the local Quicky Mart, would you not be a little suspicious of a patron open carrying an AR-15? I would give them a second and third look.

Last edited:

dwhess504

Broke Joke
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 7, 2011
    Ponchatoula, La
    I dont have any issues with Police stopping to check Citizens OC an AR type Rifle. I do think it is wrong when cops then say it is "disturbing the peace" and ask them to go home. which is highly subjective. But Yes I would for sure keep and eye on that fella.

But it isnt mainly about Firearm rights, It's about those Federal "immigration checkpoints" 100's of miles from the border or DWI checkpoints. I am not arguing the legality of those. I'm starting to feel jaded that by exercising our rights LEO seem to get highly agitated with the usual naive compliance of the sheeple.

Maybe it is just the age with everyone having video camera and getting the courage to go against the grain of conformity that we are starting to see more and more of this?

And Yes that RSSY video is a good one..... How Many LEO actually know what a Class 3 Stamp is!!! Makes me want to join their reserve program!

Last edited:

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    No offense dwhess, but now you are bringing up something totally different. What 'immigration checkpoints' are you talking about?

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Yes, you are jaded. And you see what you want to see. The beauty of the internet is you'll always find what you are looking for. If you go on a binge of ******* cop videos, yeah you'll probably start to think all cops are assholes. I have a feeling your search query wasn't "cops are awesome". Maybe try that one next.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    There were some videos posted here and elsewhere showing roadblocks in TX (IIRC) where cops would pull you over and you would 'volunteer' to donate a blood sample and have your records run. Totally voluntary of course...

Again, there are some good cops and some bad cops. And there are some good cops that bend the rules to bust bad guys... but overall are doing the job.

It comes down to the old saying about power corrupting. Not everyone is cut out to be a cop.

Last edited:

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    There were some videos posted here and elsewhere showing roadblocks in TX (IIRC) where cops would pull you over and you would 'volunteer' to donate a blood sample and have your records run. Totally voluntary of course...

Very simple, I don't consent.

Last edited:

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    They are trained to violate your rights within your rights (of that makes sense). What you don't know your rights are is your own problem, and not their responsibility. So if they can get you to consent to search or admit or give up what you are hiding, they win.

The good answer is to know your rights, never consent (weather you're doing wrong or not), and keep your mouth shut until a lawyer is present.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    SO the more I look at these Police videos on Youtube.... Various Topics from Open Carry Harassment , Police videoed blatantly violating rights, to the latest marine guy getting pushed around when he was on his sons Eagle Scout walk.

Dont get me wrong I have complete respect for our LEO. Although I havent done anything that would even warrant such attention. I was watching "cops" last night and I just cant get over how the police manipulate the subjects with comments like "are you doing anything you shouldnt be?" of course they say "no" then the LEO proceeds with "then you wont mind if I search your car right" of course not they say. then they search and find whatever. then LEO proceed with "is there anything else I should know about, If you tell me now it will make everything better for you" so they give up whatever else they have. Then LEO says "ok sir you are under arrest for XYZ." Then the Citizen is Shocked! I mean come on!!

Just Like I read about / youtube LEO walking up to "suspicious" people requesting ID so they can run their info. I hate that I even agree that it is close to the "let me see your papers" thing.

So what I am really just trying to figure out If I am becoming jaded towards LEO's? I mean I am very open minded and maybe thinking in another life I should have become a defense attorney. Most do agree the current political climate is trying to further take away our rights.

Are their others Like me out there? or am I off my rocker?

You only see what's video-worthy. Plenty of officers are dicks, and plenty are polite people 9-5'ing it and trying to make their neighborhood a little better place and feed their family.

Sometimes they do bait people into those situations, but what you DON'T see on video is all of the "gray evidence" that leads them to do it. For example, information that they/the department has that lead them to that person that they just CAN'T QUITE legally get to stick. So they apply a bit of pressure, within the bounds of the law, on camera.

CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    Assholes that walk around with MP5s or AR15s are just that........assholes. Just because it's constitutionally viable doesn't mean it's right. People who don't care about other people's feelings and cause hysteria by brandishing should be pulled over,searched and called in. We do not live an a post nuclear society where no law exist and humnaity is on the endangerd species list. I know of several people that will do what this guy in the video did just to tempt the law officers and try to "prove a point" What the officers did in the video wasn't harrassment,it was performing a public safety act. I would do the same.

It's RIGHTS VS COMMON SENSE......which do you choose?
    I choose common sense. At the end of the day,that's what saves your life!

Open carry? Really? Why give a perp PLAN B (that'd be you, Mr. Open Carry). If you're caught in an active shooter scenario,you'd be the first one shot...and no,you don't have eyes at the back of your head.
    Concealed carry? YES!! Nothing like the element of surprise to subdue any violent attacker!

Last edited:

Pops 1

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Pollock Louisiana
    They are trained to violate your rights within your rights (of that makes sense). What you don't know your rights are is your own problem, and not their responsibility. So if they can get you to consent to search or admit or give up what you are hiding, they win.

The good answer is to know your rights, never consent (weather you're doing wrong or not), and keep your mouth shut until a lawyer is present.

+1 Never consent and then call a lawyer. If you are anti-law enforce on this form you could get banned.

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    +1 Never consent and then call a lawyer. If you are anti-law enforce on this form you could get banned.

That's right. Call a lawyer. Many folks out there do not know their rights. It's their own fault if they are taken advantage of.

I see no reason for the second sentence.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    The world is full of dumbasses in all walks of life both good and bad. The problem is, everyday I find there are more dumbasses than the day before.

Am I jaded?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom