ambulance gets booted in N.O. while emt's are helping someone

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wfarrell1

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2012/11/ambulance_booted_at_mid-city_c.html

While New Orleans paramedics were treating a man with a life-threatening medical issue inside Quicky's convenience store on Friday afternoon, their ambulance, which was parked outside with its lights flashing, was "booted," The paramedics and the patient had to wait for another ambulance to arrive before he could be transported to a hospital, the report said.

:squint::doh: No comment can describe the level of stupidity this is on......

EonDresari

Curio & Relic
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I'm not that familiar with parking in New Orleans but seriously? How thick do you have to be to put one on an ambulance, let alone one that has its emergency lights on etc. Would they put a boot on a NOPD vehicle? :crazy:

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Does the actual NOPD do the booting-- or those BS traffic enforcement officers?

I got a ticket for parking about 2" over a yellow "not to corner" line near Tulane University-- and had obviously done so in order to keep from blocking the car in front of me from being able to pull out.

It's a racket; an obvious and poor one, at that. And if you ever get a look at these "officials"... you'll know EXACTLY why this ambulance was booted.

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    From what it looks like, it was the store owner's who put the boot on the vehicle. At least that's what the article hints, as well as majority of the comments, but who can trust the people who comment on these things. MEM comments on ALL of them.

JBE

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    Welsh, LA
    I wonder if whoever from the store who put the boot on could be charged with LA RS 14:332?

§332. Interference with medical treatment

A. Interference with medical treatment is the intentional and willful interference with a physician, physician's trained assistant, nurse, nurse's aide, paramedic, emergency medical technician, or other medical or hospital personnel in the performance of their duties relating to the care and treatment of patients in any hospital, clinic, other medical facility, or at the scene of a medical emergency.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Spokesman Jeb Tate with NOHD? That's awsome. Good for him. Jeb used to work for EBR EMS. I worked his first pedi code with him.

They said that NOPD was investigating. It was implied that the store had placed the boot on the unit.

Yes they could be charged with Interference of Medical Transport. It's a misdimeanor. Im Baton Rouge first offense is a $100 fine I think.

We (EMS systems in general) run lots and lots of calls at conveinence stores. I ran one just yesterday at a Circle K. Usually the employees are pretty happy we're there b/c the pt is generally a drunk causing trouble who happens to complaint of medical problems. Most commonly the medical compaints are a ruse to avoid dealing with the local PD. The local PD generally have policies in place where they have no choice about summoning an ambulance. They could come down to the ER and charge the pt after the Tx has been rendered but don't. So the drunk homeless crowd know this way to avoid jail time and use it pretty frequently.

Dave

glimmerman

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    CSA
    Spokesman Jeb Tate with NOHD? That's awsome. Good for him. Jeb used to work for EBR EMS. I worked his first pedi code with him.

They said that NOPD was investigating. It was implied that the store had placed the boot on the unit.

Yes they could be charged with Interference of Medical Transport. It's a misdimeanor. Im Baton Rouge first offense is a $100 fine I think.

We (EMS systems in general) run lots and lots of calls at conveinence stores. I ran one just yesterday at a Circle K. Usually the employees are pretty happy we're there b/c the pt is generally a drunk causing trouble who happens to complaint of medical problems. Most commonly the medical compaints are a ruse to avoid dealing with the local PD. The local PD generally have policies in place where they have no choice about summoning an ambulance. They could come down to the ER and charge the pt after the Tx has been rendered but don't. So the drunk homeless crowd know this way to avoid jail time and use it pretty frequently.

Dave

I worked in the Downtown CBD in New Orleans, 30 years ago. One afternoon while waiting for the Express "71" Bus, I witnessed a tow truck back up, hook up, and leave with a car parked on a corner, in 45 seconds!! :boink:

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Dave it this the one for EBR?

Sec. 13:108.2. - Interference with constable or police officer, or emergency medical technician or firefighter.

(a)
    It shall be unlawful for any person to interfere with the constable or any member of the police office or sheriff's office or any emergency medical technician or any firefighter in the discharge of his duties by abuse, force, or threatening language, or in screening from him the object of his search.
    (b)
    Whoever commits the crime of interfering with a constable or police officer or sheriff's deputy or any emergency medical technician or any firefighter shall be fined not more than five hundred dollars ($500.00) or imprisoned for not more than six (6) months, or both.
    (Ord. No. 7960, § 2, 8-28-85)
    Cross reference— Similar provisions, § 4:52.

wfarrell1

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Dave

Yeah it does sound like it was the store that booted them, and looking at the picture of the boot, it doesnt look like the normal boots you see the city use.

Hell, could you imagine the **** storm had this man died because they couldnt get him to the hospital in time.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Sec. 13:108.2. - Interference with constable or police officer, or emergency medical technician or firefighter.

(a)
    It shall be unlawful for any person to interfere with the constable or any member of the police office or sheriff's office or any emergency medical technician or any firefighter in the discharge of his duties by abuse, force, or threatening language, or in screening from him the object of his search.
    (b)
    Whoever commits the crime of interfering with a constable or police officer or sheriff's deputy or any emergency medical technician or any firefighter shall be fined not more than five hundred dollars ($500.00) or imprisoned for not more than six (6) months, or both.
    (Ord. No. 7960, § 2, 8-28-85)
    Cross reference— Similar provisions, § 4:52.

Might be. I only know what I hear. I don't actually go out and research it. Last time we talked about it at work with someone who would know might've been 6 or 7 years ago, maybe? So it could've changed.

Dave

Roadstar10

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Ambulance gets booted

I know the store as I use to write bail at the office behind it. The store is owned and operated by middle-eastern people and they are the ruddest and dis-respecting people you would want to meet. Their brothers also own their own towing service, Three Brothers Towing. You can tell their trucks because they have all the Islamic writting in the back window! So if you park there and go across the street to the Courthouse on Tulane, when you come out you car is gone and it will cost you at least $150 to get it back.

Last edited:

thatguy

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 17, 2011
    Franklinton, La
    The person who wrote that ticket needs to be arrested and fired.
    There was no ticket. This is a private company that boots vehicles on private property at the behest of the property owner. I would hazard a guess that whatever fees are charged to take the boot off are kicked back to the property owner in some form.

geoney

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 1, 2011
    Lake Charles
    There was no ticket. This is a private company that boots vehicles on private property at the behest of the property owner. I would hazard a guess that whatever fees are charged to take the boot off are kicked back to the property owner in some form.

Same same.

Patient should sue the **** out of the company.

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    Please tell me on what grounds should the patient sue? He was inconvenienced for a while waiting on another ambulance, but he arrived at the hospital and no damage was done by the wait. If you can sue for inconvenience, the next time someone gets in a crash up the street from my house and I have to wait 20 minutes to get to town, I'm gonna sue the drivers.

Sigforty

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2007
    Looking at their sad product of a boot. What stops the car driver from just jacking it up and putting on his spare?

Top Bottom