American Sniper - Possible spoliers within

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    I think Eastwood should have done this in two movies... like he did with Letters from Iwo Jima and Flags of our Fathers... except not from the enemy point of view.

He should have split it between Kyle's life in the teams and his warrior spirit on the battlefield and another with how he dealt with it and the aftermath. One to celebrate what he accomplished, and the other to showcase his human side and family. There's so much that is left out when you cram everything into a movie... the book was great and it was a great balance of the two, but there's NO WAY that they fit everything in the book into one movie.

A great guy who's outlook on his mission, dedication to duty, moral compass, love for his country, love for his fellow warriors, and humanity made him the hero and legend that we should all remember him as. R.I.P. "Devil" of Ramadi.

I wonder if they put the Ventura knock-out in? :mamoru:

Last edited:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I think Eastwood should have done this in two movies... like he did with Letters from Iwo Jima and Flags of our Fathers... except not from the enemy point of view.

He should have split it between Kyle's life in the teams and his warrior spirit on the battlefield and another with how he dealt with it and the aftermath. One to celebrate what he accomplished, and the other to showcase his human side and family. There's so much that is left out when you cram everything into a movie... the book was great and it was a great balance of the two, but there's NO WAY that they fit everything in the book into one movie.

A great guy who's outlook on his mission, dedication to duty, moral compass, love for his country, love for his fellow warriors, and humanity made him the hero and legend that we should all remember him as. R.I.P. "Devil" of Ramadi.

I wonder if they put the Ventura knock-out in? :mamoru:

Ventura won his libel suit against Kyle?!? He argued in court it never took place! He won! He is still going after the Estate!

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    So I guess pride trumps the brotherhood. Class act.

Oh, Ventura is a dirt bag! But Chris claimed it to be true?!? Ventura said he was lying; and ultimately got a court to agree with him. I love Kyle, but if you believe in the legal process; you have to be conflicted with his account of the interaction with Riff Raff!

And I dare you to tell me this ain't Jesse! :mamoru:

Last edited:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I watched the movie on Saturday. It was okay; not great! Through it all, the absolute cheesiest thing about it was the use of a stiff plastic doll in the hospital scene of Kyle's son's birth. It was so noticeable that I almost couldn't believe that Clint Eastwood would allow the scene to make the final cut. :eek3:

If you can tell that it is a plastic doll in this picture (you have eye sight problems if you can't), you should see how bad it was in the actual movie.

I guess Eastwood didn't want to pay someone for letting them use a real baby!

Now, other than that, the movie was heavy on his tours of duty and gave some back story into his younger life before he enlisted. It was worth seeing, though I didn't have to pay to see it!

And there was NO MENTION OF THE JESSIE "Riff Raff" VENTURA bar fight.

Bradley Cooper did a great job! He really pulled it off, and Sienna Miller is just plain sexy sooooooo....!

And they did make it clear how that crap affected these guys over there and particularly Kyle. If he had to do what they portrayed, that had to be hard on the psyche.

Last edited:

JCcypress

Gun Trust Lawyer
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I saw AS this weekend on IMAX. Overall, I was pleased. Way more action than I expected. I would have liked to have seen more character development of CK as a whole, rather than just "The Legend." Maybe I just had sights set too high (pun? nah...), but I found Clint Eastwood did a better job with his treatment of Walt Kowalski in Gran Torino, than he did with Chris Kyle. That's not to knock Cooper's performance, which was pretty legit. I'm glad that it got into issues that veterans face when returning from combat- hopefully it will help raise more awareness on the subject.

I give it 4 stars. Definitely worth seeing.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Eastwood & Cooper did a really great job, IMHO. I think it was a respectful tribute to Kyle's life and story- as evidenced by the approval from his own family. I don't think they can get a better review than that.

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    I loved the movie. I would have loved to see it in two movies however; I do think it honored Kyle and his family as well as the military well.

It was the first time that I have ever been in a movie where everyone was completely quiet from the open till they were out of the theater. Not a sound was made. You could have heard a feather drop as everyone was slowly walking out.

Obviously me knowing all about Chris Kyle, I knew how it was going to end. There were several people I know though who did not know it was going to end like that. They did not know he died. I am sure there were many more who didn't know that either.

Now, if we could must get Michael Moore to show up and Clint Eastwood's house things would be good.

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    I thought it was really well-done, and I'm pleased that it focused more on veterans' issues than on the whole SEAL thing. There were a ton of vets in the theater with me, and I definitely heard some sniffles and saw some wet eyes. It was a very different kind of movie than what I was expecting... but that's a good thing.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I thought it was really well-done, and I'm pleased that it focused more on veterans' issues than on the whole SEAL thing. There were a ton of vets in the theater with me, and I definitely heard some sniffles and saw some wet eyes. It was a very different kind of movie than what I was expecting... but that's a good thing.

Tell the truth! Once you noticed the plastic doll, you couldn't stop thinking about it, huh?

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Ok, so this is merely my opinion. I saw the movie and thought it was decent, but not as good as it could be.

They put the majority of the good, intense moments in the commercials to psych you up.

I think it would have been better as an HBO mini series, kind of like Band of Brothers. I just think they could have put a lot more information in there than they did.

It brought back a lot of memories for me and a past relationship with a guy in the military, and dealing with the post-tour homelife. And I can completely relate to that aspect.

I'm not saying it was terrible, because that would be a lie. I did enjoy it. I just think it could've been better.

Last edited:

RM Holsters

Aware
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I thought it was a very good movie. It portrayed a small amount of Chris Kyle the man, the war on the field and the war inside your head. An entire movie could have been made out of any of these topics.

I want to read the book now.

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    Ok, so this is merely my opinion. I saw the movie and thought it was decent, but not as good as it could be.

They put the majority of the good, intense moments in the commercials to psych you up.

I think it would have been better as an HBO mini series, kind of like Band of Brothers. I just think they could have put a lot more information in there than they did.

It brought back a lot of memories for me and a past relationship with a guy in the military, and dealing with the post-tour homelife. And I can completely relate to that aspect.

I'm not saying it was terrible, because that would be a lie. I did enjoy it. I just think it could've been better.

I don't disagree with this at all. But I think they decided to target it at a very specific audience- veterans and their families who have been through this. It didn't focus much on the story itself. That's why I'm glad I had read the book already, because I think without doing that, you'd miss a lot of what's going on. But I would recommend this movie to almost anyone, the only exception being vets who are still struggling with PTSD or post-deployment issues. It could open up some nasty wounds for those guys.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jp3544
    Top Bottom