Ammo / Felony

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Well, I know a parolee can't have ammo, info thanks to the parole officer that donated a few hundred rounds of Gold Dot to me when I started out.

RyanW

Koch-head
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    There's nothing in place to stop them from buying it, other than laws, and we all know how effective those are at preventing crime

George

Don't tase me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Denham springs
    Convicted felons can not possess ammonia nor have knowledge of it and be around it. Same goes for a firearm. Unless that felon's charge is past 10 years.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Skiney

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Between the A & the T
    I know for a fact they do....

Q: Can a convicted felon buy or have ammo?

xu9bpvhg241vj6zxcg2w.jpg

luv1979

Genesis 27:3
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    Legally, if they can't own a gun you would assume that they can't own or buy ammo either. But what would stop them. Of all the ammo I have bought over the last 15 years, the only store to check my ID and record my DL number was Dick's Sporting Goods. So if the store doesnt know who they sold it to, how are you gonna know if he or she was / is a felon?

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    http://www.legis.state.la.us/lss/lss.asp?doc=508458

RS 14:95.1.2

§95.1.2. Illegally supplying a felon with ammunition

A. Illegally supplying a felon with ammunition is the intentional giving, selling, donating, providing, lending, delivering, or otherwise transferring ammunition to any person known by the offender to be a person convicted of a felony and prohibited from possessing a firearm as provided for in R.S. 14:95.1.

B. For the purposes of this Section, the following words shall have the following meanings:

(1) "Ammunition" means any projectiles with their fuses, propelling charges, or primers fired from any firearm.

(2) "Firearm" means any pistol, revolver, rifle, shotgun, machine gun, submachine gun, or assault rifle, which is designed to fire or is capable of firing fixed cartridge ammunition or from which a shot or projectile is discharged by an explosive.

C. Whoever commits the crime of illegally supplying a felon with ammunition shall be imprisoned for not more than five years and may be fined not less than one thousand dollars nor more than five thousand dollars.

Acts 2008, No. 622, §1.

DS727

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Denham Springs
    http://www.legis.state.la.us/lss/lss.asp?doc=508458

RS 14:95.1.2

§95.1.2. Illegally supplying a felon with ammunition

A. Illegally supplying a felon with ammunition is the intentional giving, selling, donating, providing, lending, delivering, or otherwise transferring ammunition to any person known by the offender to be a person convicted of a felony and prohibited from possessing a firearm as provided for in R.S. 14:95.1.

B. For the purposes of this Section, the following words shall have the following meanings:

(1) "Ammunition" means any projectiles with their fuses, propelling charges, or primers fired from any firearm.

(2) "Firearm" means any pistol, revolver, rifle, shotgun, machine gun, submachine gun, or assault rifle, which is designed to fire or is capable of firing fixed cartridge ammunition or from which a shot or projectile is discharged by an explosive.

C. Whoever commits the crime of illegally supplying a felon with ammunition shall be imprisoned for not more than five years and may be fined not less than one thousand dollars nor more than five thousand dollars.

Acts 2008, No. 622, §1.

The problem, Charlie, is the law states "KNOWN BY THE OFFENDER". So yes, if you KNOW that someone is a felon, and give them ammo, you can be charged. How is a store employee going to know that a person is or isn't a felon, even if they present their ID and sign for it?

But to answer the question, no, a felon cannot be in possession of ammunition.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    The problem, Charlie, is the law states "KNOWN BY THE OFFENDER". So yes, if you KNOW that someone is a felon, and give them ammo, you can be charged. How is a store employee going to know that a person is or isn't a felon, even if they present their ID and sign for it?

But to answer the question, no, a felon cannot be in possession of ammunition.

I agree. :)

tintmasters

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Thibodaux / Houma
    I caught that. Why have ammo if you can't legally own a gun anyway? Unless you plan to illegally attain one. But No! Criminals obey gun laws. This cannot be.

I get it that is the law, But.....

If you have a friend, that is a felon, pick up some ammo for you. I get the firearm part, but the ammo part is ?? It would be like if you have a DWI and can not drive then you get caught with the keys:dunno:

Dishonored

Hunter
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    I get it that is the law, But.....

If you have a friend, that is a felon, pick up some ammo for you. I get the firearm part, but the ammo part is ?? It would be like if you have a DWI and can not drive then you get caught with the keys:dunno:

Just accept it and move on. You won't change it.

Top Bottom