Ammo Observation-It's Getting Worse

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bayoutrigger

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    Alexandria, La.
    Much Worse

In December I purchased several hundred rounds of each caliber I shoot. Just as a precaution in case the "shortage thing" actually got worse. During the first part of the year supplies at stores like Academy and local sporting goods stores were down but still available. I also began "surfing" to stay up on actual inventories of what's available. While the box and smaller stores eventually ran out of ammo I could find it on the internet at a reasonable price. Over the last month ammo has become harder and harder to find on the internet.

As supplies dried up I began to purchase more ammo (to the detriment of my UPS driver's back!) Worst case I could probably unload it at my cost if things got better.

While most known sources eventually ran out (Ammo To Go for example) other, perhaps less known web sites (Streichter Police Supply & Scottsdale Gun Club for example) managed to maintain an inventory of 40SW & 9mm and other sites had 5.45x39 & 7.62x39. However, most sources have now dried up completely.

At the beginning of April, I began to sign up on waiting lists. Cabela's, Georgia Ammo, Ammousa & Sportsmans Guide. I figure when and where you are on a waiting list will dictate who gets the ammo first unless you happen to be standing in the ammo department of a Wal Mart when a shipment comes in.

Sportsman Guide keeps moving my orders further back so I'm not optimistic on them any time soon. They showed 5.45x39 spam can ammo in stock but when I ordered had a deliver date of 4/27/ That date has now been moved back a month. I waited till today based on their 4/27 that has now been moved back a month. Had I known this I would have purchased from a source that had the spam can in stock. I like to purchase from SG when possible to use their 4 payment no interest plan. I just hope my other source isn't sold out now.

Bottom line: If you want ammunition to shoot during the next 6-7 months, that's through the end of the year, you better start looking and buying. Don't worry about if it's dirty or who it's made by. I'll shoot the crap at the range or when it doesn't matter and save the good stuff for when I need the good stuff. IMHO, if you think it can't get any worse...... just wait.

Last edited:

Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    An email I received today from David Vitter's office.
    Dear Friend,

We’re hearing more and more stories about law-abiding gun owners across the country having trouble finding ammunition to purchase.

As stores struggle to keep up with the demand, new rumors about possible restrictions on ammunition and firearms certainly demand our attention.

I recently wrote a letter to the Department of State and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives to try to get to the bottom of the rumors about possible new restrictions being placed upon American firearms and ammunition manufacturers and distributors.

I’m concerned that both agencies may be considering implementing new restrictions on the import and export of firearms and ammunition. And I asked for an official answer concerning any and all new restrictions they’re considering. If both DoS and the BATFE are indeed considering additional requirements on both the import and export of firearms and ammunition, I want information on these matters and the rationale for doing so.

Protecting American jobs and preserving our Second Amendment is of the utmost importance to me and to thousands of Americans who work within the ammunition and firearms manufacturing industry or enjoy the use of legal firearms and ammunition, and I’ll continue to monitor these rumors and keep you informed.

Sincerely,

David Vitter
    U.S. Senator

Last edited:

glimmerman

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    CSA
    2 months ago Palmetto State Armory had PMC 223 for $6.95 per box, last night I checked and they are now at $11.95 per box. From $350.00 per 1000 rounds to $600.00 in just about 2 months!!! :eek3::eek3:

Lucky54

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Lafayette
    I agree it is getting worse.

However, now that I have all my reloading equipment and book etc. How is the situation for powder, primers, bullets etc? Is it as dire as the ammo? I would think it would NOT be as bad as the ammo since it is made in different locations and plants?

Is there any particular manufacturer that is keeping up with the reloading demands?

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    I agree it is getting worse.

However, now that I have all my reloading equipment and book etc. How is the situation for powder, primers, bullets etc? Is it as dire as the ammo? I would think it would NOT be as bad as the ammo since it is made in different locations and plants?

Is there any particular manufacturer that is keeping up with the reloading demands?

Powder and primers are just as bad. Bullets seem to be OK although you may have to wait a bit for them.

Nick

a.k.a. Nick™
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Baton Rouge

yeah, uhh..... good luck with that:
    http://bayoushooter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16728

BAR

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 13, 2009
    Prairieville, LA
    I agree if you have the money and can afford it, buy it (Ammo, powder, & primers). I can just about guarantee you can get your money back any time you need it in this environment.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dusty84
    Top Bottom