Ammo-Place Your Bets Now

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bayoutrigger

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    Alexandria, La.
    Some think the ammo shortage will get better down the line and some don't. I don't think one opinion is necessarily better than the other. Strong arguments can be made one way or the other (not talking about lawyers who get paid to argue out of both sides of their mouth!:) )

However, I do think in large part the state of the nation's economy later this year will have an effect on the sale of ammunition and I'm not talking about the financial ability of purchasers to buy ammo. Let me explain.

Some of you my age and older will remember the race riots in the mid-60's and the anti-war demonstrations in the late 60's. We didn't have a lot of this in Louisiana but there were demonstrations in other parts of the country. The point is, people in America can get riled up and things got pretty wild back in the 60's. There were underground army's and that sort of thing. But back then no one had ever heard of terrorism and the liberals in Washington, well they were "hawks" compared to todays liberals in Washington. It's a completely different situation today.

The recent tea parties are a civilized endeavor, to be sure, but it indicates to me that the silent majority is fed up and ready to "demonstrate" to, if nothing else, vent frustration. Now if the economy continues to deteriorate, your going to see more and more demonstrations by a broader cross section of the population. In fact, if things get worse you could see riots and demonstrations much the same as in the 60's only this time it will not be race or anti-war but the economy that stirs people up. All I'm saying is that if people got so emotional in the 60's to the extent of unruly demonstrations & riots, it could happen again. I'm not saying this will happen.

The difference between the 60's and now is that instead of LBJ & Nixon and a more conservative congress, you've got the current President and the most liberal congress ever, at least in my lifetime. And now you have terrorism.

If we have demonstrations like the 60's later this year, there is no question in my mind that ammo sales will be curtailed. Just my opinion. Also, there is a good chance that if nothing else, the price of ammo will go up considerably due to tax increases, just ask anyone who has purchased a pack of cigarettes lately.

So, it's place your bets now. If you think the economy will get better and there is no chance of the kinds of demonstrations we saw in the 60's, just wait it out. On the other hand, if you think the economy will be getting worse and there could be "civil unrest" as it was called in the 60's, stock up on ammo now.

What do you think?

ntruder800

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 11, 2008
    north of BR
    well, IF i had any guns left, I would stock up on ammo. I am stocking up on fishing line. it seems to survive freak accidents over water better than guns and ammo.

Last edited:

ryan

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Metairie
    I have been selling off all of my ammo due to the high prices I sold my guns at.....if I had any guns left I would buy ammo....

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    Yeah basically. . .

If there is any politcal/govermental shift in policy (such as ammo tax), prices could increase double or triple, or in a worse scenario (ammo/firearm bans, etc) price would no longer be of concern as it wouldn't be available, period.

But in a normal economic environment, ammo prices are destined to drop once supplies are increased or demand levels off to a normal level again.

Also there is the *possibility* that we could have a swing back to the right and get back a majority in the house and/or senate come 2010. That, I believe, would have a noticeable effect in decreasing ammo and other firearm related prices. Also of course dethroning the messiah in 2012 would have a huge impact.

It all boils down to how much gloom and doom you expect.

If I had hundreds of thousands of dollars in the bank I'd go sock away ten or twenty thousand rounds of my favorite calibers right now. But I don't, so I'm just going to be conservative with what I've got.

While I do think it's possible for prices to jump or for ammo to dissappear, I think the liklihood of ammo prices staying the same/returning to normal is greater in the long run.

I just can't see buying thousands of dollars of ammo at, say $400/case when it could be $150/case in 2, 3, or 4 years.

pntbllr228

Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Right by LSU
    Im buying as much as I can as a 21 year old college kid. Trying to stock up on .223, .22 lr, .45 acp, 9mm, and shotgun shells. That covers all the guns I own right now. I dont think Ill be buying more guns until I have alot of ammo stored up for the ones I have now.

Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Gonzales
    I am buying for my son that way when he is my age and he faces the changes decade down the road he will at least have a choice. I really don't see any favorable changes coming anytime soon I already no what was done to my smokes so can only imagine the extent of what can be done to guns and ammo.

BAR

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 13, 2009
    Prairieville, LA
    I would be happy to pay $400 a case now if it meant that in 3 to 4 years I could buy it for $150. But I would kick myself if I tried to wait on that day, just to find out that I am without and in need of it. I guess I could wait on 22lr bricks to get back down to 10 bucks? I don’t think so... I am not going to go in debt but if the SHTF, well that will be the best $400 that I could spend. Money wouldn’t mean anything then.

Cowboy

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 15, 2006
    Houston
    Without importation of surplus ammo, prices will stabilize somewhat lower then then are now. But I don't think prices will be less then $300/per case.

jimdana1942

oldtimer
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sulphur, La.
    When Israel bombs Iran's Nuke centers, very soon, it will be the beginning of the end of the road as we have known it. I know alot of people have alot of guns and ammo. That's okay if you are going to survive where you currently are. But otherwise, people should try to have one rifle and one handgun and whatever ammo they can carry.

I think that the availability of everything, guns, ammo, food, etc., will come to a grinding halt all of a sudden, soon.

pntbllr228

Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Right by LSU
    When Israel bombs Iran's Nuke centers, very soon, it will be the beginning of the end of the road as we have known it. I know alot of people have alot of guns and ammo. That's okay if you are going to survive where you currently are. But otherwise, people should try to have one rifle and one handgun and whatever ammo they can carry.

I think that the availability of everything, guns, ammo, food, etc., will come to a grinding halt all of a sudden, soon.

Im not so negative about the future, but I do agree that having 50 or 60 guns wont be much more useful than 4-5. I know the argument about being able to arm neighbors, family, etc, but all the people I would trust with a firearm already own them.

BAR

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 13, 2009
    Prairieville, LA
    Ok I'll bite. What else are you going to do with your money? If it does come down to that money won't matter. But I bet you can barter with guns, mags, and bullets. I hope that all of are thoughts are misplaced and in 20 years we can laugh about all of this. Unfortunately I don't think we will.

These may be the last days that we can buy the stuff we take fore granted. I just don't think my kids will have the same opportunities that I have now. So I will take the little bit of money that I have, pay the high prices now. I hope that in 4 years I can kick myself for paying the high prices.

BEAU

Do I feel lucky?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    metry
    I really need to get dive certified! Think of all the guns I could be scooping up on!!!

Are we talking about Louisiana? Now I don't dive (never have), but if I got the bug up my ass to go diving, I sure as hell wouldn't do it in a brown lake... or anywhere else in Louisiana. If aluminum is worth something one day, I could tell you where to find 4" water and a plethora of cracked beer cans.. and you wouldn't even need to be certified to dive :D

glimmerman

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    CSA
    Just wait until summer gets here and the weather warms up. My prediction is that with the economy in the tank, you'll see stealing and robbing like you never imagined. The stage is set so just be sure you are prepared. :eek3:

S

suerto

I have enough commercial ammo to protect my family (kids &wife) effectively en route to our families (extended, mom, uncle, aunt.. inheritance property) property in the country..
    As opposed to stocking up on "ammo" (which is relatively pricey), I have been stocking up on reloading supplies (lead, brass, primers, powder). Once getting to our country family, we'll be relatively secure.. I'll be bored shitless, and have plenty of time to crank out as many thousands of rounds to my hearts content..

Although, getting into reloading at this time is about like trying to find ammo as well.. Popular calibers of reloading equipment are non-existent and always on backorder now.
    As my son recommended, we can always invest in slingshots.. I got plenty of lead..

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PatRome
    Top Bottom