Ammo SHORTAGE DRASTIC Measures..Now with Pictures

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WatcherInLa

WatcherinLa
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Bay Minette, Al.
    Ok guys, looking at two different air guns. I'd like some thoughts:

.177 at 1400 FPS
    or
    .22 at 975 FPS

Thoughts?

Neither one will actually chrony that unless you can find some super light weight pellets that won't shoot straight. For under $250, I'd go with a
    Hatsan 95 in .22 or a Ruger Blackhawk in .177.

Nail Gun

Blissfully Ignorant
    Rating - 97.4%
    38   1   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Slidell
    Neither one will actually chrony that unless you can find some super light weight pellets that won't shoot straight. For under $250, I'd go with a
    Hatsan 95 in .22 or a Ruger Blackhawk in .177.

Agreed. You're hard-pressed to get advertised velocities on most AG's. Manufacturer's tend to seal the "test" guns better, use alloy pellets and I suspect they'll actually diesel the shots to gain add'l velocity. Yes, it's a $60 gun but I recently picked up a Crosman 2100, .177. It's advertised for 725fps with pellets and 10 pumps. It struggled to get 580 with 15 pumps and CPHP pellets. I did a lot of mods and now it is averaging 725fps with the same pellets. For the money I think they're fine "adult starter" guns for folks on a budget or who are interested in tinkering.

I've enjoyed browsing this thread. I have quite a few air guns, and just decided to part with some of them. I posted 2 in the firearms marketplace. I
    wasn't sure if there was an air gun marketplace on here.

Anyway, the CO2 and PCP's are super easy to shoot compared to the pistons, but the springers and nitros keep it interesting. Squirrel, rabbit, nutra,
    snakes, etc. have all been taken regularly with a single .22 or .177. And they are just plain fun to shoot, too.

Welcome to BS.com. It's good to see AG fans here. Not to be a jerk. This is purely an FYI, your posts may get deleted. AG classifieds actually belong in the General Outdoors section. Also a requirement to post FS ads is you must have your location in your profile. Those are some are some FINE AG's you got though!

Last edited:

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Thanks for the input! I am looking at getting the .22 gamo silent stalker whisper in a few weeks. Thoughts?

WatcherInLa

WatcherinLa
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Bay Minette, Al.
    Thanks for the input! I am looking at getting the .22 gamo silent stalker whisper in a few weeks. Thoughts?

That one is a hit or miss when it comes to consistency. In .22, I would recommend the Hatsan 95, or the Hatsan Striker 1000. The difference is really in the trigger. The 95 will run about $150, and the Striker about $100. For power and accuracy in a .22, they are hard to beat for the price.

bakerman

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 23, 2013
    St Tammany
    so many fond memories, what red blooded american kid didn't bug the hell out of their parents for a bb gun. My mom got so tired of cooking squirrel, lol

what's that saying about boys and men and the price of their toys

thanks for the trip down memory lane

photobucket-58596-1361926610953_zps0351c7fa.jpg

Aussiecajun

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Maurice LA
    Can anyone recommend a decent scope for a .177 springer? I've been using the centrepoint that came with mine and I cannot get it sighted in properly. No matter how much I adjust, it constantly shoots low and left. Would prefer something around $50 or less if possible.

Nail Gun

Blissfully Ignorant
    Rating - 97.4%
    38   1   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Slidell
    I'd take a look at Leapers/UTG. I think you can buy direct from them. The majority of their scopes are springer-rated. You will toast a non springer-rated scope in a heartbeat on a springer.

Skiney

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Between the A & the T
    so many fond memories, what red blooded american kid didn't bug the hell out of their parents for a bb gun. My mom got so tired of cooking squirrel, lol

what's that saying about boys and men and the price of their toys

thanks for the trip down memory lane

Glad your enjoying the trip down memory lane:}

Hope reading these post put a BIG SMILE on your face...

S.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    I currently own one of those RWS-Diana kraut air rifles- the single-pump, uber-fast, .22 cal, heavier than a deer rifle type.

Yeah, they're nice- but I'll never forget my original Benjamin .22 cal....I even remember where my older brother took me to get it, way back when- Wilson's on Florida Blvd in BR. :thumbsup:

I wore that damn gun out at Old River as a kid....:dogkeke:

WatcherInLa

WatcherinLa
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Bay Minette, Al.
    I couldn't resist the deal on amazon for a Ruger Blackhawk, prime, $99 delivered in 2 days. I got it in today, and just for grins, I shot a 7.9 grain pelllet across the chrony, first thing. 1246 fps. LOL. That's 27 ft lbs from a .177. I know it will settle down to around 15-16 ft lbs, but still, it put a smile on my face.
    I'll get started with the break in this weekend.

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    i have a rws diana 350 mag .22 air rifle. it pushes the 21gr at 780fps (by my chrono) very reliably. it shoots minute of squirrel head at 25yds, and still packs enough punch to knock them from the trees.

i have a $20 4x crossman air rifle scope on mine with no issues, and the 350 mag is well known for crashing scopes.

WatcherInLa

WatcherinLa
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Bay Minette, Al.
    i have a rws diana 350 mag .22 air rifle. it pushes the 21gr at 780fps (by my chrono) very reliably. it shoots minute of squirrel head at 25yds, and still packs enough punch to knock them from the trees.

i have a $20 4x crossman air rifle scope on mine with no issues, and the 350 mag is well known for crashing scopes.

Now that's a nice air rifle. I thought about getting one of the clones to play with, maybe converting it to nitro piston, but I wouldn't change a thing on an RWS german made rifle. I did get a Marauder so I could shoot 1000 fps with the heavy .22 pellets, since they are so smooth and no recoil, but I still prefer the challenge of shooting the springers. My Marauder is so accurate (and I've only shot it on CO2) that it's almost boring.

Aussiecajun

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Maurice LA
    I'd take a look at Leapers/UTG. I think you can buy direct from them. The majority of their scopes are springer-rated. You will toast a non springer-rated scope in a heartbeat on a springer.

x2 on the Leapers. Hawke scopes are pretty good, too.

Thanks for the info guys. Just ordered a Leapers/UTG. Should get it in Monday. Got Tuesday off so I know what I'll be doing! :bigok:

nola_

Rating - 94.4%
    17   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Nola
    Which caliber airgun will be best for dispatching of large opossums? (Size of small dogs). Finally figured out why the animal food was disappearing so fast. these didnt "play dead", can't use the 10/22 in my backyard.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    joshualectric
    Top Bottom