Ammo temperatures

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    Alright, so I've been watching TiborasaurusRex's YouTube channel on his long distance tutorial series.

Just learned why you guys leave your bolt open between shots. I won't be using a bolt gun so I was trying to think how best to accomplish a similar practice while still using mag-fed ammunition.

All I can think to do is load a single round in the magazine, fire the shot, then load another round into the magazine while waiting for the score.

I didn't see the semi-auto guys at the FPR match doing this. Are their rules against it in any competition type?

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    Alright, so I've been watching TiborasaurusRex's YouTube channel on his long distance tutorial series.

Just learned why you guys leave your bolt open between shots. I won't be using a bolt gun so I was trying to think how best to accomplish a similar practice while still using mag-fed ammunition.

All I can think to do is load a single round in the magazine, fire the shot, then load another round into the magazine while waiting for the score.

I didn't see the semi-auto guys at the FPR match doing this. Are their rules against it in any competition type?

F-class you have to single feed, no magazine.

FPR, you have to feed from the magazine.

The reason I leave the bolt open inbetween shots in FPR is because I'm too lazy to close it until my offhand is in position. All you had to do was ask. The ammo temperature difference on your POI at 600yds from a .223 AR is so negligible that you won't notice it. ESPECIALLY while learning how to shoot. Turn off the tube, read up on the basics, and forget about the "long range" crap. Just my .02.

vmcdonald

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2012
    Greenwell Springs, LA
    There's always this option

DSC02057.jpg

kengel2

Rabble Rabble
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Bedico
    Are their rules against it in any competition type?

In FPR and Fclass I dont think there is a rule per say. Id bet most just dont chamber a round until they are ready to fire.

As far as tactical style matches like the PRS and everything. If the stage has movement, some matches require bolt back/mag out, some require bolt back mag in. Doesnt matter semi auto or not.

3 Gun, I have no idea the rules, Id love to try that someday. I dont think they are required to do anything, but can be dq'd pretty easily for facing the wrong way or being unsafe.

RStewart

Not Easily Impressed
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Gonzales, LA
    Many of the powders being used such as Varget are not as temperature sensitive as others such as ball powder. Although I would still not leave my ammo out in the direct, hot sun, as Ted said the POI would be negligible from single loading versus mag feeding.

If you want to get a book that is the "go to" book for many F-Class and Prone shooters buy- Prone and Long-Range Rifle Shooting by Nanacy Tompkins. It was recommended to me by my 2 mentors. One of them is a Prone High Master and the other a F-Class High Master. It will cover all the basics and then some.

RStewart

Not Easily Impressed
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Gonzales, LA
    Speaking of ammo. One item you do not want to scrimp on is your reloading equipment. Contrary to what some may say, a progressive loader will not load to the precision you need to win F-Class or FPR matches (or at least I have not heard of one).
    Get a good single stage press such as RCBS Rockchucker or upscale to a Forster Coaxial.. And get a good set of Competition Dies to go with it. If you go cheap, you'll regret it. Just my opinion.

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    Many of the powders being used such as Varget are not as temperature sensitive as others such as ball powder. Although I would still not leave my ammo out in the direct, hot sun, as Ted said the POI would be negligible from single loading versus mag feeding.

If you want to get a book that is the "go to" book for many F-Class and Prone shooters buy- Prone and Long-Range Rifle Shooting by Nanacy Tompkins. It was recommended to me by my 2 mentors. One of them is a Prone High Master and the other a F-Class High Master. It will cover all the basics and then some.

Speaking of ammo. One item you do not want to scrimp on is your reloading equipment. Contrary to what some may say, a progressive loader will not load to the precision you need to win F-Class or FPR matches (or at least I have not heard of one).
    Get a good single stage press such as RCBS Rockchucker or upscale to a Forster Coaxial.. And get a good set of Competition Dies to go with it. If you go cheap, you'll regret it. Just my opinion.

The rock chucker is what I've got. I have a set Redding deluxe die set for 223. Doesn't have the micrometer seating adjustment, but I didn't want to drop $200 on a die set just yet.

I've also got the micrometer adjusting Wilson trimmer. I've been running my once-fired brass through just to get a feel for things.

I'll look for that book on amazon. Thank you for the recommendation.

FishingFool

Calls the shot
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    Metairie

Love my Forster Coax. I can go from seating 30-30 to sizing 45-70 in less time than it takes to find my die boxes. Somebody was thinking when they designed that press.

tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    Love my Forster Coax. I can go from seating 30-30 to sizing 45-70 in less time than it takes to find my die boxes. Somebody was thinking when they designed that press.

Yeah, if you can find one. I have been looking for a Coax for over 6 months now. Forster gets backlogged regularly under normal cicumstances, add the panic and I'm not sure when they'll be avail again. They say maybe October.

Top Bottom