AMOK! Tom Soits back in Houma, LA Dec 17,18 & 19

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mtcur3

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Thibodaux, LA
    UN-PICKING A FIGHT & STRIKING FIRST Learn how to deal with the Eye Contact Challenger, the Falsely Offended Challenger, Pack-o-Punks, and how to diffuse or depart with dignity. Then learn how to set up and execute a first strike for times when you need to hit an aggressor first. In some situations, especially when you are outsized or outnumbered, it can be unwise to forfeit the initiative. To maximize your effect, you will learn to use sophisticated distractions and how to strike from the natural hand positions of negotiation.
    CLOSE QUARTERS COUNTER-STRIKING This course presents how to counter-strike your adversary with freedom, accuracy, and protection - the nucleus of knife-to-knife combat. You will learn how to condition and complete your reflexes to imbed effective reactions to prevail in mutual exchanges of hard and fast multiple strikes.
    CLOSE QUARTERS EXCHANGING Most fighters fail to effectively manage the fury and chaos of the mutual-kill zone when the action is far too fast for thinking and untrained reflexes break down. This course presents how to manage the chaotic exchanges encountered in the mutual-kill range of combat and sets the stage upon which to affect traps, snares, and disarms.

If you have any questions you may also contact me, Bill Hickman via e-amail at hickmangroup@gmail.com

mtcur3

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Thibodaux, LA
    This is a FOF class (Force on Force). You will be bruised on Saturday and Sunday. You train as hard as you and your partner want to train, but realize than anything less than full speed only breeds a false sense of security in the student. Search AMOK! on this forum and find more about previous classes. Read Sotis' article “The Undeniable Logic of Knives”, posted on this forum back in May of ’09.

Training gear: Hard-contact trainer provided
    Safety gear: Eye protection, forearm guard, and mouth guard
    Optional: Pocket folding trainer and/or plastic pistol and holster

Take the red pill and come join us.

DuckYou

Angry Wiener
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I searched the internet and could not find anything substantial on AMOK!. Could you please give me the background and foundations of this system?

DuckYou

Angry Wiener
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Google "AMOK! Tom Sotis" or "Tom Sotis Knife Fighting"
    You may also contact Tom at Sotis@AmokCombatives.com

I did Google it. I said I looked on the internet, and that usually starts with a Google search. I looked at their website. That has not given me the information that I want. I do not like contacting directly, because I usually get the whole "my kung fu is better than your kung fu" type of response. I just wanted to know the sources of this art.

mtcur3

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Thibodaux, LA
    The Evolution of AMOK! By Thomas Sotis

Perhaps the following will answer your question.

The Evolution of AMOK! By Thomas Sotis

Historically, AMOK! is rooted in the Malay/Filipino martial arts. And although Malay/Filipino mentality and principles continue to infuse it, AMOK! has transformed its practices so radically that it no longer resembles the martial art that it once was, or any of the arts that influenced its earlier composition. Pursuing its own course, AMOK! has evolved into an ultra-functional methodology based on the strict parameters demanded of military combatives.

Forged in the crucible of conflict, today AMOK! continues to validate its reputation in some of the world’s most dangerous places and war zones. In South Africa, the stabbing and murder capitol of the world for instance, AMOK! is the choice of combatives for professionals in harm’s way. This is no accident or coincidence- it is a result of design. In an effort to elucidate how and why this is so, this article will trace the evolution of AMOK! from its early martial stages to its present combative methodology.

The rest of the article is here:
    http://www.mssd.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=15&Itemid=13

mtcur3

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Thibodaux, LA
    From Tom's Curriculum vitae

TRAINER OF PERSONNEL OR TEAMS FOR
    • United States Secret Service
    • United States Federal Bureau of Investigation
    • United States Drug Enforcement Administration
    • United States Anti-Terrorism Task Force
    • United States Marshals Service
    • United States Special Forces
    • United States Internal Revenue Service / Criminal Investigation Division
    • New England Organized Crime / Drug Enforcement Task Force
    • Russian Spetsnaz (Special Forces and Red Berets)
    • Russian Ministry of Internal Affairs
    • Russian CID Homicide and Major Crimes
    • Russian Karat Executive Protection Academy
    • South African Special Forces
    • South African Police Service
    • South African Executive Protection Services
    • Mexican Prison Guards and Riot Control
    • Spanish Municipal Police
    • New Zealand Prison Guards
    • Various US State Police / SWAT / Sheriffs and Defensive Tactics Instructors
    • Boston Massachusetts Municipal Police Academy
    • Correctional Institutes & Special Response Teams
    OPERATIONAL EXPERIENCE
    • Close Protection - Mr. Lucien Forbes , CEO Forbes Group (1993 to present)
    • Close Protection - Mr. Andrew Mitrelis, COE SPA Co, Inc. (1983 to present)
    • Owner / Investigator - Metro Investigations, Providence, RI 1985-1992
    • Close Protection / Investigator - Central Investigation Agency, Providence, RI 1983
    • Close Protection / Investigator - Precision Investigations, Los Angeles, CA 1981
    • Field Supervisor providing retail security for 175 stores - Los Angeles, CA 1981
    TRAVEL EXPERIENCE • Australia, Bashkortostan, Canada, Denmark, England, Germany, Greece, Italy, Jamaica, Japan, Laos, Mexico, Myanmar, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Philippines, Portugal, Russia, Spain, South Africa, Sweden, Thailand, and 30 of the United States.
    CROSS-TRAINING • Firearms: shotgun, rifle (AR, AK, R-5), and pistol (.45, .9mm)
    • Security: locksmith, safe, safe deposit & vault technician
    • Imaging: still, digital, video and video editing
    • Aquatic: boating, sailing, canoe, raft, swimming
    • Sub-Aquatic: free-diving, underwater hunting, nitrox and rescue diver
    • Parapsychology: Medical/Psychological profiling and remote viewing
    NOTEWORTHY ACHIEVEMENTS
    • Recipient of the Order of Sikatuna Award presented by Philippine Presidential Command
    • Appointed Special Advisor to the Ministry of Internal Affairs, Bashkortostan, Russia
    • Honorary Member of the Elite Russian Spetsnaz Red Berets
    • Chief Instructor for Russian CID - Homicide and Major Crimes
    • Instructor at Karat - Russian state-sponsored Executive Protection Training Academy
    • The only American ever adopted by the native Filipino Dogeaters Knifers Tribe
    • Instructor/Guide of Firewalking (walking barefoot over red-hot coals)
    • World Kickboxing Champion 1980 - World Professional Karate Organization
    DOCUMENTED MARTIAL ACHIEMENTS
    • Professor of Qol Demama Daga (Filipino knife system) 2001
    • Lifetime Achievement Award - Action Martial Arts Hall of Fame 2001
    • Mandala (Master Instructor) of Knife fighting - Philippine Grand Magesterium Award 2000
    • Master Instructor of the Year - United International Kung-fu Hall of Fame 2000
    • Fifth Degree Black Belt (Master) in Kenpo-Kobudo Karate 1999
    • Professor of Pekiti-Tirsia Daga (Filipino knife system) 1996
    • Professor of Dagaso-Tirsia Daga (Filipino knife system) 1996
    • Mata-as na Guro (Master) of Kali - Bacolod Negros Arnis-Kali Escrima Federation 1996
    • Guru (Instructor) of Pekiti-Trankadas-Echikete (Stick & Aldabon knife system) 1996
    • Kali training with Filipino WW2 veterans - Mambukal Mountain, Negros, Philippines 1996
    • Guru (Instructor) of Kali-Silat (Filipino-Indonesian Martial Art) 1994
    • Founded the International Blade Fighters Guild and AMOK! Combatives 1992

NON-DOCUMENTED MARTIAL TRAINING • Sifu (Instructor) of Kuntao (Southern Chinese Kung-fu) 1985
    • Pekiti-Tirsia Kali - Filipino Weaponry
    • Pangamut - Filipino Empty Hands
    • Dumog - Filipino combat wrestling
    • Silat Melayu / Sibat - Malaysian staff
    • Balisong - Filipino folding knife
    • Lameco Escrima Orehenal - Filipino weapons system
    • Lee Wah Yook Chi Kune - Chinese Kung fu
    • Tae Kwon Do - Korean martial art
    • Wing Chun - Chinese Kung-fu
    • Harimau - Indonesian Martial Art
    • Cimande - Indonesian Martial Art
    • Argentinean Facas - Argentinean knife and weapons
    • Modern Arnis Dumog - Filipino weapons system
    • Pukulan Cimande Pusaka - Indonesian Martial Art
    • Tai Chi Chuan, Tai He Morn - Chinese Internal Art
    • Judo (mixed with traditional Kuntao)
    • Parker Kenpo - American karate
    • Ja Shin Do - Korean Martial Art
    • Russian Systema - Russian Combat Method

Last edited:

mtcur3

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Thibodaux, LA
    We still have room in this class. Please see the first post in the thread for details.

This is a force on force class, but you will be treated with respect. You and your partner are free to chose your level of force.

Men, if you're not doing, or have not done FOF somewhere. somehow, you may very well find yourself desperately lacking when your life is on the line.

Don't miss this opportunity to train with one of the world's best instructors.

Please feel free to contact me, Bill Hickman, if you have any questions or concerns.
    hickmangroup@gmail.com

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Hey guys I would like to give an after seminar report, granted I was never skilled in writing so I apologize ahead of time if not done correctly.

First of all I would like to Thank once again Mr. Sotis for taking the time out of his busy schedulle to come down to Louisiana to teach a great class, second Thank Mr. Bill Hickman for making it all happen and third Thank the owner of the Dojo in Houma for allowing us to use his facility to train, Kudos to all of you for a job well done.

NOw into my thoughts of the seminar, Mr. Sotis methodology behind his system is one of the best IF not the best that I have seen in a long time for any combative system hands down, everything has a meaning and a reasson, it is actually quite amazing to see it all flow on a white board with a marker, the interesting thing is that the system is design so that you can operate any kind of weapon system or problem within the parameters and if you follow the 3 triangle system (tactics, practice, training) you not only succesfully isolated and solved the problem but became skilled in the process by replicating the problem itself and then adding atributes to the complexity of the problem until it became a contingency or "law".

You learned to fight by fighting which made a lot of sense everything was at close range, his flow drills were very challenging since they were based on actual fighting moves as long as you took the time to fully understand the meaning behind it creating non-cooperative scenarios which is as close as you will get to what you will encounter on the street, being able to divide the body into 4 cuadrants as explained by Mr. Sotis utilizing the X drill or Round Drill also made a lot of sense. It is not a boring system that is only based on the same drill over and over and over, it actually starts by using a rythm or symmetry (1,2,3 + 1,2,3) and slowly incorporates more into the rythm this way like a well put together song it becomes a melody that flows and becomes almost an instinct.

THere are 7 possible combinations of an attack and 7 steps in the AMOK system of a fight, so everything continues to have symmetry, which allows the student to understand without heaving the need of heaving a high IQ to become efficient in the system, to achieve what Mr Sotis calls the "road map to functionalism" or what I understood or translated it as a complete fighting system that could be use with any weapon (knifes, sticks, firearms)

He also explained the 3 levels of tactics using a triangle or pyramid, which again is soo simple that makes sense and its easy to comprehend once you actually see it all come together in black and white.

What I found amazing about the system is that it starts very simple in the moves or basics, once it becomes manageable then it increases the speed, tactics or agression to get you into a semi-manageable stage until you can manage it, then it goes back to a new step being added which bring you back into a semi-manageable mode adding more aggressive resistance to the mix and slowly you have trained all 4 angles or cuadrants with the 3 possible cutting techniques, then it all mixes up to have a single cuadrant isolated with the ability to use the X block, the round block, the upp cut (my wording), down cut (my wording) and the stab or mixing them to have a combination within a cuadrant, and the ability to do the same with every cuadrant in the body.

The believe behind being always in a non-cooperative stage or scenario allows you to not be become comfortable (confident) and always keeps you on your toes, waiting on what might come next into the agenda, the pain is present but at the same time is part of the process to become a better all around fighter on the street which is where it matters the most, it was defiently an eye opening experience once we got to sparr and see and feel what a knife fight looks like, I can honestly say I would take a bullet before a knife any day of the week.

What I question now after being in the seminar is why so many people carry a knife for self defense when they are not properly trained to use one?? Granted there is not much skilled needed to attack with a knife as long as you have the heart behind it but when it comes down to defending yourself knife to knife its a skill on its own, I really wish I would have taken more notes but I had to compromise so I could train instead of write.

I started looking into the FBI reports for actuall stats that involve knifes and this is what I found.

There were 48 Officers killed in the line of duty in 2009, 19 of those were killed at a distance of 0-5 feet, 12 at a distance from 5-10 feet and the rest were killed at a distance less then 15 feet.

There were 13,636 murders in the US in 2009 and 1,900 of those involved a knive.

There were 486 murders in Louisiana in 2009 and 32 of those involved a knive.

In the entire south area 68% of the murders involve a weapon and 13% involve a knive or cutting device.

There were 261 Justifiable Homicides in 2009 and 29 of those involved a knive.

So as we can all see number continues to be present in every chart at about a 10-15%, so why not train so we can be prepared for it, specially knowing that most confrontations happen at a distance of less than 7feet and if you are being suprised by an attacker who is closing that distance on you the chances of drawing out your pistol are slim to none, so creating the distance or counter attacking sounds like a better idea to me.

Overall a great weekend, my arms and chest is very bruised but the amount of satisfaction and knowledge that I got out of it gives me confidence and one more tool that I can use to become a complete warrior, I have ordered some NOK Hard Contact Trainers and will continue to practice on the skills learned.

Last edited:

mtcur3

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Thibodaux, LA
    My sons and I thank everyone who came out to make this training opportunity a success, especially those who drove in from Texas and Florida. The quality and enthusiasm of all students exceed the previous classes we have hosted, which made this one of the richest events to date. Every man worked hard and it was very cool to see the progress made particularly among the first timers. Well done gents, very well done. We do plan on hosting Tom at least once in 2011. I’ll post up when we get a date fixed.

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    Thanks for the report. I had full intention to make it this time, but with the Christmas season ramping up (and we wound up with a sick child for the whole weekend), it just logistically didn't work.

Bill, let us know. I definitely want to come to Tom's class.

Top Bottom