AMT single action 380 Backup

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sixgundunn

Wheelgunner
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    New Orleans
    I recently took my AMT single action 380 Backup to the range. I havettwo magazines for it and, although I've had it for many years, I've never shot it. I had multiple failures to eject and failures to load, fire, etc with both magazines using different brands of fmj ammo. The gun was virtually unusable and now the slide won't go all the way forward to a locking position, leaving a slight hap as though a round is still jammed in the chamber, which is definitely not the case. I have checked multiple times to make sure that it is empty. I've checked YouTube and there isn't much information on it. What little there is suggests that it is difficult to field strip. It appeared to be very clean before I tried it out. My gunsmithing skills are virtually nonexistent. Any suggestions? Do y'all think it's time to bring it to a gunsmith. I've had it so long that I don't plan on getting rid of it. It appears to be well made. Thanks, Tom.

Cheesy Lasagna

Sooooo Cheesy!
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Aug 20, 2011
    Kennah!
    I had that exact pistol.
    It was constructed of really nice materials, which is why I bought it in the first place.
    Unfortunately it was the biggest pile of crap firearm I ever owned.
    Never got through a full clip at the range.
    Yes, that's right, I said clip. That garbage gun doesn't deserve to use magazines...
    Anyway, after trying everything I could think of, I finally put it to death with a friend's carbide chop saw.
    (Was going to use it for fishing sinkers but figured it was such a horrid gun that it'd figure out a way to not even be a good sinker.)
    True story, not joking at all.
    To this day when I think back on it I still smile.
    It was definitely worth it.

Now, that you know how I truly feel about it, here's a video on how to disassemble it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1j0g0ccXU0

You can try taking it apart and cleaning it to see if that helps but I caution you that the only thing that gun is likely to do is get you killed if you really need to use it to defend yourself.
    My suggestion is to sell it and buy another backup gun.
    LCP/LC9/Kahr/Sig/ and many others make really good quality and reliable pistols that will serve your needs well.

Cheesy Lasagna

Sooooo Cheesy!
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Aug 20, 2011
    Kennah!
    Oh yeah, if you want to "do the right thing," I now have a chop saw of my very own you are welcome to use.
    We can go get a beer afterwards.
    Hell, we can get a beer before and during the ritual disembowelment of your AMT as well if you'd like.

Burn Backup, Burn!

nwmousegunner

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Homer,La.
    Tom disassembly is not as difficult as it looks. The are detailed instructions on the internet. That's where I found mine, printed out a copy for reference. You will need two small dowel rods 4 to 5 inches long. I have shot 2 different ones that belonged to lodge brothers but do not own one myself. One works fine the other is not very reliable. I would break it down and give it a good cleaning and polish the feed ramp, slide rails and grooves with fine grit (600) emory paper. You will only learn how to do it by tring. Good luck if I can help pm me hear or at hoodbar@att.net. Dave

DR.NUMBERS

Addict of the Arcane Arts
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 11, 2009
    Battin Rudge
    Hi Tom,

Unfortunately, I don't have my .380 available to diagnose your problem but I know some general tips for resolving AMT issues. Mid-to-late production AMTs have low levels of finish and QC. Generally, there is nothing wrong with the design or materials (except some of the latest models with added firing pin safeties), just the fact that they cut lots of corners on finishing.

Some general guidelines for all AMT pistols include examination of all the surfaces which contact one another e.g. rails, for burrs or other imperfections and then polish them smooth. The feed ramp can also be polished to help feeding. Wolff makes recoil springs which are a great upgrade that help reliability. Lastly, sometimes the issue is with the magazine, either the spring may be too weak or the follower is catching on something.

Since I can't help you any further with your specific problem, I would try disassembling and reassembling the pistol if possible. Here are some videos showing how to strip the AMT .380:

http://youtu.be/A1j0g0ccXU0

http://youtu.be/rO9mjQ87Jfo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfqgAbqe34g

The son of the designer has been active online and from what he has said it seems like his father, whose designs are sound and in some ways innovative for the time, was constrained by his business oriented partner who kept pushing to maximize profits at the expense of quality control. These days of course there are better, lighter, smaller .380 pocket pistols, through the AMT's weight definitely helps reduce felt recoil and I like the solid feel of mine (plus, like you, I've had it forever). The AMT Backup .45 is still the smallest pocket .45, though much heavier than the Springfield XDS, and mine, an early model, has always functioned flawlessly with good accuracy.

Best,
    Ian

Last edited:

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    More lube... Or more potent ammo?

Sounds like it needs to to be cleaned well and then lubed with grease or something like that. Mag springs may be weak and causing the ftf. Fte could be the slide dragging on the way back, or an extractor issue? I would pick up new mag springs and give the gun a good clean. See if youcan find some potent hollow point ammo, more umph might make the gun work better? How many rounds do you think this gun has fired in its lifespan?

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Donut Man
    Top Bottom