Anbody into Juicing?- not steroids

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jjss

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Mar 13, 2010
    New Orleans
    Some friends told me about this and the benfits, and now I'm doing my own research. I ordered a cheaper end juicer for now to try it out. Any experiences with supplementing juice into your diet or juice fasting?

SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    I've had positive results but I've heard not to use as meal replacement. I was told drinking calories as meal replacements is a no no.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Juicing instead of eating sounds like a great way to lose lean body mass. Watch what you juice and when you drink it, too much sugar late in the evening, even from fruit, can pack on fat.

Mayonnaise

Not in the fridge
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Most importantly, why are you doing it and what are you trying to accomplish? Are you already lean and in good shape? Are you trying to mix up your diet a little bit to test the results?

What exactly do you think juicing will do for you, specifically. If you're an athlete just trying to mix things up and try new avenues, then go for it. If you're overweight with a low activity level, poor sleep schedule, and insulin resistant then you should probably avoid juicing for now.

Think about it like this. Our bodies aren't designed to sit down and eat a dozen oranges in one sitting. Calorie for calorie, for example, you’ll take in more sugar drinking apple juice than you would eating the apple itself. You miss out on a lot of the good stuff about fruit and veggies by juicing them. Not to mention the absurd amount of fructose you take in by juicing fruits. Heavy long term heavy exposure causes all kinds of funky problems. Flakey skin, thinning hair, bad teeth...

Juicing is cool when, for whatever reason, you can't get in your daily intake of fruits and vegetables. Obviously fresh juice trumps pre packaged juice. Only make as much as you need right then. Juice breaks down really fast.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Don't go cheap on a Juicer. it's not worth it for many reasons.

I got a Jack LaLane Express Juicer and have had it and USED it for over 3 years. It's still going strong.

The kids love it b/c it taste better to them and they get to participate in the making of the juice.

Now this might not be true, in fact it might be complete ******** but I've done this time and time again over a few years now and it has worked every time!

Whenever I think I'm about to get sick, or whenever the kids are sick I juice 1/2 a lemon, 2 large apples and 2 oranges. I drink it in one setting right before bed and I simply NEVER get sick and have never got what the kids/wife had even if they were running fevers, puking on my shoulder or even had the flu.

Just recently both my oldest had 10 days of walking pneumonia, coughing was horrendous and ran fevers for a full week! Every other day i would juice the above mixture. We also washed & dryed ALL sheets and pillow cases every single day and opened up the house for several hours a day.

Now of course I was at work 5 days a week too but the kids were sick for two whole weekend with this stuff.

I never even so much as got a cough.

My wife got some of it and the baby ran a fever for a day I think but nothing for me.

Like i said, that could be complete BS, but that's what I do, and will continue to do. i do this b/c when i was younger I would get strep at least twice a year. I know what it feels like when it's coming on. So now when it does feel like it, I drink just a TAD bit of Listerine after gargling deep and drink this mixture of fruits and it's been years since I've gotten strep.

This info could be worth exactly the amount you paid for it ;) just sharing.

CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Have one and used to make a nice juice blend of Kale, Green Apples, Cucumbers and a little ginger root. Very tasty drink.

jchebert1979

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    Lafayette, La
    I ponied up $500 for a VitaMix blender and instead of juicing (I have a high end juicer) I put the whole vegetable with fruit into the blender and get the fiber along with it. It was well worth the money and I have never seen a blender that blends as well as it does. Supposedly it blends so well it breaks down the cell wall of plants to release more good stuff.

jjss

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Mar 13, 2010
    New Orleans
    I've heeded the warnings about the high sugar and fruit. I was aiming more towards more greens. I've researched some recipes and just need to toy around with it. My scenario is overwight, low activity(for now atleast), high stress. I have been avoiding fast food as much as I can, but between work and school, and the travel in between, its very hard to eat right, let alone exercise consistently. I was looking to this to get more greens and fruits in my diet, and less carbs and red meats. The juice fast was an idea to drop weight. While I still have a lot of muscle mass, I'm no where near as active as I was even 2 years ago when I was working full time offshore. My body tends to respond better to light lifting and some cardio than to cardio myself to death. so I will be trying that again with a friend who lifts a lot.

the dubshow

master plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    Baton Rouge
    my mom got one of those super expensive machines a few years ago. She made all kinds of crazy ****. And it all tasted great.

carrot, apple, blue berry was a good mix. Im sure its better than all the store pasteurized stuff. Just doesnt last long.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I've heeded the warnings about the high sugar and fruit. I was aiming more towards more greens. I've researched some recipes and just need to toy around with it. My scenario is overwight, low activity(for now atleast), high stress. I have been avoiding fast food as much as I can, but between work and school, and the travel in between, its very hard to eat right, let alone exercise consistently. I was looking to this to get more greens and fruits in my diet, and less carbs and red meats. The juice fast was an idea to drop weight. While I still have a lot of muscle mass, I'm no where near as active as I was even 2 years ago when I was working full time offshore. My body tends to respond better to light lifting and some cardio than to cardio myself to death. so I will be trying that again with a friend who lifts a lot.

Why are you avoiding red meat? I started eating paleo, half of the meat I eat is red, then chicken, pork and BACON. Yes, bacon gets a group all to itself. Easy diet plan.

Fill 1/2 the plate up with meat, fill half the plate up with Vegetables. Eat. No counting calories or weighing portions. We did a 4 week paleo challenge and I lost 13 pounds in 28 days. Of course I was going to crossfit 4-5 times a week. Only juice I drank was orange juice since we have a seemingly unlimited supply of oranges, and well I would rather eat than drink my food.

You do have to stay away from grains and legumes and limit your fruit intake, you should get most of your carbs from vegetables. I still eat 2-3 pieces of fruit a day, usually a couple of Bananas and something else thrown in, an orange, apple, pineapple, whatever we have around. I try not to eat fruit too late into the day unless I go to crossfit at 6:30 pm.

Doing hours of cardio is a pretty inefficient way to loose weight, you want to build lean body mass and you do that by picking up heavy stuff.

Last fast food I had was a burger from Dairy Queen New Years eve, before that I cannot even remember when it was, but it was probably a five guys burger.

tonen123

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Central, La
    I did it for a week and felt great. I did strictly juice no eating what so ever. I could have went longer but the people that were doing it with me had to stop. They missed the chewing of food way too much. I was 291 when i started and when i finished i was 276. It is hard at first for some but it gets easier as you find more recipes that you like. Stick to mainly the greens, I believe it is like 80% vegetables and 20% fruit. I will eventually do it again. The documentary fat sick and nearly dead was a great documentary about juicing.

Mayonnaise

Not in the fridge
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Why are you avoiding red meat? I started eating paleo, half of the meat I eat is red, then chicken, pork and BACON. Yes, bacon gets a group all to itself. Easy diet plan.

Fill 1/2 the plate up with meat, fill half the plate up with Vegetables. Eat. No counting calories or weighing portions. We did a 4 week paleo challenge and I lost 13 pounds in 28 days. Of course I was going to crossfit 4-5 times a week. Only juice I drank was orange juice since we have a seemingly unlimited supply of oranges, and well I would rather eat than drink my food.

You do have to stay away from grains and legumes and limit your fruit intake, you should get most of your carbs from vegetables. I still eat 2-3 pieces of fruit a day, usually a couple of Bananas and something else thrown in, an orange, apple, pineapple, whatever we have around. I try not to eat fruit too late into the day unless I go to crossfit at 6:30 pm.

Doing hours of cardio is a pretty inefficient way to loose weight, you want to build lean body mass and you do that by picking up heavy stuff.

Last fast food I had was a burger from Dairy Queen New Years eve, before that I cannot even remember when it was, but it was probably a five guys burger.

Word.

www.robbwolf.com www.marksdailyapple.com

mct601

Airborne IV Peddler
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2008
    Hattiesburg
    Almost a month old, but I'll chime in

I'm doing a 15 day reboot this month. We'll see how it goes.

If anyone is looking for a juicer, Dirt Cheap in Franklinton has several for 50% off. One being a Jack LaLane.

Top Bottom