Another AR question for the gurus

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FTRrookie

Freedom Not Free Stuff
    Rating - 98.6%
    68   1   0
    Apr 25, 2009
    Houma, la
    I recently bought my first AR, a Windham Weaponry flat top M4 variant with 16" barrel. I like the gun with one exception. The black plastic fore end grip. It's too short for my shooting style and it limits the distance between my front and rear sights. For those reasons and because I believe a free floating barrel shoots better I've decided to replace the fore end with a rail system. I also like the look of a long rail with only a short portion of the barrel sticking out so I would like to go with a13 or 15" rail. What parts other than a low pro gas block would I need to accomplish this? Also I need recommendations for a rail system. I don't want or need rails on all 4 sides so a modular system or one that only had a top rail running it's full length would be the best I think. Another criteria, I don't want to break the bank doing this. If money were no object I would probably go with a Geissele SMR rail but at over $300 they are a little over budget considering I also have to buy the tools to do the job.

So any help and/or suggestions would be appreciated.

InterstateGuns

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    Hammond
    We install the VTAC Alpha rails with the daniel defense gas blocks all the time. If you want to come up to the shop, we can get you taken care of.

freedive10

-Global Mod-, Caballoloco
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Mandeville
    Troy VTAC rail. Chop your front sight down to fit under the rail, it's more reliable and...free!

Here is an end result.

xgxex9be31ly6awgb56k.jpg

57lb92ow9lscb35c5xxa.jpg
    [/QUOTE]

Interstate Guns does a heck of a great job as well with a factory DD gas block.

Last edited:

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    Chop the front sight and put on a tube. If you want me to bring my dd and midwest industries tubes so you can see them Sunday let me know.

JCcypress

Gun Trust Lawyer
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    The Troy/VTAC tubes are great, especially for the money. My personal preference is the regular Troy tubes with the round holes, versus the VTAC slots. I just feel like you have better mounting options.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    The Troy/VTAC tubes are great, especially for the money. My personal preference is the regular Troy tubes with the round holes, versus the VTAC slots. I just feel like you have better mounting options.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Really? My experience is the opposite. I found it harder to find mounts for the regular alpha tube and though the circular holes acted like a cheese grater on my hands.

FTRrookie

Freedom Not Free Stuff
    Rating - 98.6%
    68   1   0
    Apr 25, 2009
    Houma, la
    I was reading a discussion about the advantages of installing a free float hand guard on another forum and this is one persons view:

Chicks Dig FF rails way more than snap in clamshells...

You will get more chicks and they will be better looking...

FF = MP

I laughed so hard when I read that I had to share. At least the guy had his priorities straight.

Top Bottom