Another dog shot

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gbundersea

Just my 2¢
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jun 4, 2007
    Walker, LA
    My dad came over to visit this afternoon, and described an incident he witnessed earlier today outside the Gretna City Hall. He went there to pay some taxes, and was out in the parking lot, when he heard a woman scream. He looked to see a Rottweiler bearing down on her as she walked her Chihuahua and Dachsund on leashes. The Rott apparently had a collar on, but was out on its own, and had come charging across the parking lot to attack her dogs.

The on-duty security guard (police officer?) heard the screams and went over to assist. My dad said he checked in on his radio, then came up to the snarling Rott, who was busy trying to rip the 2 small dogs apart. The man drew his sidearm, placed it directly on the base of the Rott's neck, and fired one round. The Rott wavered, then slumped to the ground dead.

My dad left shortly after that. Before leaving though, he heard some guy nearby, who was apparently familiar with the Rott, comment "Why'd he have to shoot that dog? That was a gentle, sweet dog!"

Yeah - gentle and sweet, right up until they attack your child or your pet without provocation.

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    Dawg lovers like me say aw, why ?? OTOH, I have seen a big dawg jump a little one to make a point, they hold them in a mouth lock, scream a little and let them go...freaked and very respectful. BUT...how do you know and what if they let up 2 dogs instead of 1 ?? Or the little head stays when mom picks the baby up. No way to tell right in the heat.

Dogs sometimes escape, no matter what you do, if you have dawgs long enough ( not named Fi Fi ) they will do an escape, just like me hope no has to shoot them.

Tuff deal sounds like...something to be said for responsible pet owners, maybe an accidental escape

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    any uncontrolled animal is a possible threat.

Its true, I see some thug lites walkin big scary mutts, mostly pitt knock offs, the dawg is dragging them on the leash and looking crazy at everything..hopefully that is not called a controlled dog just cause theres a leash hooked to it
    Says the law is a little weird cause one guy may have a dog trained in obedience and entirely on voice and signal command yet his dog be not controlled cause it is not hangin on a leash

Could I have gotten the big dawg off the little dawg ?? W/O shooting it ??
    Probably not a grown Rott with an attitude...I tried that once when a HO's dog was holding her against a wall cause she popped him when he was barking at me while working on her AC

It was a big Rott , when I grabbed his collar I was ready, he spun and snapped and caught 9 in linemans in his head, it got his attention enough so me and her could get out of the yard. Same dog later let me in and do the job while he tried to play with me...go figger

Rahllin

Geaux Tigers!
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Feb 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Bad news. Someone just posted an ad on Craigslist about this situation.

It appears that the little daschund broke away and ran. The owners are still looking for him. It also says the owner was bit in the hand by the rot.

I hope they find the little guy. :(

http://neworleans.craigslist.org/pet/2252339891.html

Well, when it was originally said that the dog was wearing a collar, I sort of thought, "that sucks for the owner of the Rot if all was an accident," although I do support the decision made. When they mentioned a choke collar, my thought was "they probably did the Rot a favor by putting it out of his misery." And before someone chimes in with "some dogs need a choke collar," there are other methods of leashing a big/strong dog and keeping it under control without choking it...

Renegade

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 1, 2010
    Red Stick
    Choke chains should only be used in training a large dog. If used correctly, the dog never really gets choked and is ready to graduate to a standard collar within a month.

deafdave3

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    There is research (though I don't know how accurate) that a growing number of CHL holders will be forced to use their CCW on a dog. I do believe the guard acted appropriately, but I would live for more CHL holders to be prepared of the possibly that they may be forced to defend their lives against an animal.

It has happened to me.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    I'm always torn on these incidents, as any second hand account (no matter how reliable) just doesn't sum up the whole thing.

One thing is for sure-- any unleashed dog can be dangerous, especially when size is a factor.

Still, too many people fail to understand dog behavior-- as our very own Dawg pointed out in a fine example on the first page. Not to pass judgement against the shooter in this particular case, but if the dog is so big and dangerous, why weren't the two little dogs (and the woman for that matter) dead before the armed guard could respond in the first place?

Trust me when I tell you-- a big dog against a smaller creature is a quick slaughter, if mortal harm is the intention. My parents have a Min Pin that kills citrus rats that weigh roughly 75% as much as he does-- in one bite-and-shake. Blink, and you miss it.

I'm all for a person's right to defend themselves, especially against a roaming dog. But I've seen typical dog behavior misinterpreted WAY too often, and alleged "dog people" backed against a wall in panic in the face of an unfamiliar (typically "scary breed") dog intruding in their personal space. Which, BTW, is a very dog thing to do.

Top Bottom