Another Lafayette Shooters thread. (Update Post #14)

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ironman26

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2010
    Patterson, La
    Some of these gun shops as I call them...or better yet.......N.A. GUNS.......The Old Fred Parnells........oh wait last but not least Steinbergs....some of the older guys may remember back in the day.....N.A. Guns was about the highest priced place I've ever seen then !!!........1985, $35 for a 25rds box of #4 3.5" 10 gauge lead shot...When I say then, I mean mid to early 80's !!!! I dont see whhy people pay these high prices for guns and supplies....I buy my guns as cheap as I can find and stay away from the " SHOPS " !!! Does it make your gun shoot better than mine because you bought it from a special shop. The service may be better, even thats no garuntee...... Does your ammo shoot better because you paid $5 or $10 dollars a box more !!!! You're just pissin your money away for no reason !!!

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    The way people on here complain about Hebert's Guns-- the customer service there is Super Star golden compared to Lafayette Shooters Ripoff, not to mention their jacked up prices.
    I don't know about Baton Rouge.. I never had a problem at Jim's, but I only went a couple times, and I went in there knowing what I needed, got it, and got out. I was left alone after a couple initial greetings and "can I help you find something... let me know if you need anything" type things, which is great, and otherwise no issue. That was mid-day, both times. Got what I needed, wandered around to see if there was anything interesting or worth picking up in the used/surplus racks, and the checkout girl was friendly.

We have no such luck. Best I get is Academy, around here, but their service, while great, is stretched thin by large crowds, so it's sometimes offputting.

Glenn's shop can't open soon enough... though I'm biased. I'm on the Scott side of town.

eagle359

AARP Newbie
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Terrytown, LA
    I will not go to the range with one of my best friends because he will not be careful with sweeping people. He is only a target shooter, never hunted, and has no idea what damage a firearm can cause.

Last edited:

Grandpa23

Patrick
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Lafayette LA
    I was at Lafayette Shooters a couple weeks ago and I heard one of the employees behind the gun counter tell a potential customer that "since the 2nd amendment passed, everyone could now carry concealed". I just shook my head and walked away.

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    I was at Lafayette Shooters a couple weeks ago and I heard one of the employees behind the gun counter tell a potential customer that "since the 2nd amendment passed, everyone could now carry concealed". I just shook my head and walked away.

Well in his defense, that is very creative way to create cases that have the potential be challenged by our new amendment. :dogkeke:

CajunCracker

Beastmode
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 15, 2011
    Lafayette
    "Glenn's shop can't open soon enough... though I'm biased. I'm on the Scott side of town." - JNieman

Can you elaborate on this? Every time I hear talk of a new place I get turned on.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    "Glenn's shop can't open soon enough... though I'm biased. I'm on the Scott side of town." - JNieman

Can you elaborate on this? Every time I hear talk of a new place I get turned on.
    flemgunner, on this board, is opening a gunsmithing shop soon, with a retail side as well. Not sure what the latest expected opening day is, but I think Spring.

www.facebook.com/AcadianaGunworks

flemgunner

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    lafayette
    We will actually be opening sooner than we though. We will be leasing a smaller place to do gunsmith work and limited retail. Of course we will be doing regular and class 3 transfers as well. Look for this to open around the beginning of Feb.
    The main shop should be under construction soon and when complete will have a much larger retail area.

scottybaw

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Lafayette
    I hate shooters as well, the only reason I go is they actually have good prices on shotgun shells, but that is the only thing they have a decent price on. They talk to you like you are an idiot and you can't possibly know more then they do because they are behind the counter. I stopped going to Daves as well, once again they know everything and you should just be thankful that they are helping you because you are too stupid to think for yourself. They actually wanted to charge me 100 dollars for a transfer fee from another ffl from out of town. What a joke! I personally go to Bullets and Bows in Rayne. They treat me good and have done good work on my two shotguns and my VZ 58 with putting in a new ambi safety. I wish someone would open up another store in Lafayette with good service and competitive prices so we could put shooters out of business.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    I hate shooters as well, the only reason I go is they actually have good prices on shotgun shells, but that is the only thing they have a decent price on. They talk to you like you are an idiot and you can't possibly know more then they do because they are behind the counter. I stopped going to Daves as well, once again they know everything and you should just be thankful that they are helping you because you are too stupid to think for yourself. They actually wanted to charge me 100 dollars for a transfer fee from another ffl from out of town. What a joke! I personally go to Bullets and Bows in Rayne. They treat me good and have done good work on my two shotguns and my VZ 58 with putting in a new ambi safety. I wish someone would open up another store in Lafayette with good service and competitive prices so we could put shooters out of business.
    I've found that dropping a small bit of knowledge in a discussion and being condescending in tone when I say it will quiet the Shooters 'experts' pretty quick, if they're dicks. The guys behind the counter are kinda ... 50/50 on that though. There's a couple guys, which I think are the ones who've been there a long while who are pretty passive. I have seen them listen to obvious mistruths or exaggerations from customers and kind of just chuckle and nod along politely, and I've seen them give pretty neutral decent advice when you're talking to someone who may be completely untrained, unpracticed, and needs to have the "basic, catch-all" point, and not the 20 minute lecture that goes into details, comparing and contrasting everything.

I sympathize with their job. In the little bit of customer service I had done at Red Jacket through email or on the phone. It was not a lot, as I was a machinist and not a office type. I mainly handled technical questions when it was over the heads of the CS folk, and did emails in my spare time to catch a break from the shop floor. There's a balance between letting a customer take up an hour of your time when you have dozens more waiting on you, and giving them a good, safe, accurate lesson to take home.

I had a buddy who started working at a gun range that also sold guns and accessories. Good guy all around, educated, logical, level headed, I've been to training classes with him at least 2 times I recall off the top of my head, and like me, he gets to 1-3 classes a year with reputed professionals. He turned into kind of a dick when he'd tell us about his day at work, and talk about some of the customers, to the point where we started ragging on him and telling him he sounds like the stereotypical gun counter guy, lol. I think there's a period where it can go to a new guy's head, while he copes with the variety of customers, the innocently ignorant, the inexperienced, the willfully ignorant, the bluffing, the macho, the pseudo-experts, the actually educated, and everything between.

Maybe my experience tempered me from the reaction I /wanted/ to have. I was talking to my dad about it this weekend when he was telling me about a bad experience he had at his local gun shop with a guy. He told me I should have pulled my pistol out, dropped the mag, cleared it, and started pulling the trigger, pointing it at him, to see how he liked it. I told him I'd remember that one if there's a next time! lol.

Last edited:

JBE

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    Welsh, LA
    I personally go to Bullets and Bows in Rayne. They treat me good and have done good work on my two shotguns and my VZ 58 with putting in a new ambi safety.

I've always had good service at Bullets & Bows...

As far as Shooters...I haven't stepped foot in there in years and have no plans whatsoever of ever stepping foot in there again due to their crappy service and exorbitant prices

jchebert1979

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    Lafayette, La
    I have bought 3 guns from Lafayette Shooters knowing full well that I could have gotten them for less online. I wanted to however, support local businesses. After seeing them selling a 100 round box of American Eagle 5.56 for $90 a couple days ago, they will not get my business again.

crazy_mike

Cautious
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Lafayette,la
    I have bought 3 guns from Lafayette Shooters knowing full well that I could have gotten them for less online. I wanted to however, support local businesses. After seeing them selling a 100 round box of American Eagle 5.56 for $90 a couple days ago, they will not get my business again.

i hadn't stepped foot in shooter's in prolly 15 years, last time i went i brought a bow in to get restrung, told the guy not to crimp any lugs on it, i get there and sure enough nothing but crimped lugs, brought it home tried to remove lugs and sure enough the guy had crimped them down so hard he actually cut the string, brought it back and he said oh well we can fix it for another 90.00 bucks i said FU and walked out, i deal with acadiana outdoors from now on

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Shooters is just plain awful. I stepped in, browsed around, saw the prices, and asked a few ?'s. I told the guy (at a full counter) that I'd like to buy X pistol at a price range of A to B, with their price being B+$225. He said "good luck".

Went in a couple weeks later and he actually had the nerve to say "you back to buy that gun you wanted?"

So again, in front of a full counter of customers, I turned to the side and showed him the new addition. "nope, I got it $400 cheaper than you had it listed for, brand new...just like I said I would."

Went into Dave's this weekend, I'm not impressed. Without puking up one of those self-absorbed posts about education and training, he proceeds to tell me that an ambidextrous handgun is "an overpriced waste of money and totally irrelevant" because "under stress you cant use your hands anyway. What ya need is this one right-here thats NOT ambidextrous and only $xxx.xx!"

FWIW I gave him a list of makes and models that im in the market to buy (not any AR's or anything) and never received a phone call or email. They sure don't work too hard to earn your business. I'll look up the other places listed here... Bullets and Bows im undecided on.

crazy_mike

Cautious
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Lafayette,la
    lol just to get a kick out of this im reading this i have one of the son in laws sitting right next to me lol, just thought i had to laugh about this one

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    That's where i roll when i roll local...He may be a dollar or two higher on a few thing's...But at least he know's his business !!!

I've always had good service at Bullets & Bows...

As far as Shooters...I haven't stepped foot in there in years and have no plans whatsoever of ever stepping foot in there again due to their crappy service and exorbitant prices

kk5fe

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 2, 2012
    Covington
    I will not go to the range with one of my best friends because he will not be careful with sweeping people. He is only a target shooter, never hunted, and has no idea what damage a firearm can cause.

How did this sneak into a thread about Lafayette Shooters? :eek3::bowrofl:

EDIT: I should read from the front to the back... I see the OP mentioned that first. :)

Last edited:

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    I've been done with shooters.
    I really like Louisiana Archery in Pineville, St Landry lumber has the hottest gal at the gun counter, I just bought a Sig 938 at Jim's and they were very helpful and plan to go back. I (used to) pick up ammo at Academy and WalMart unless I order from Nachetz Shooters.

Kcabear

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2012
    Gueydan
    I avoid Shooters like the plague. Have never tried Dave's. I try to do most of my business in town, I buy most of my stuff here at G&H in Gueydan(except when they can't find me a .40 Shield) or The Gun Shop in Klondyke. Gun Shop is a little high on ammo but I'd rather support a local guy instead of the five dip shits behind the counter.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Gordoloco
    Top Bottom