Another program complete, another round to start 1-2-12

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Don Howard

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 12, 2011
    west nawlins
    Hey there. I finished my first round of Insanity on Monday, December 12, 2011. I have back and shoulder issues so I didn't complete the program as a person of proper health would have, but I brought the intensity and modified some of the techniques. I stopped wearing my heart rate monitor after the 1st week because my heart rate was always at the top or well over the intended zone (130-151). I usually pushed into the anaerobic stage at 85% max rate. A few times I would be 90-95% for a few seconds.

For instance, I didn't do any of the power jumps, plank positions, deep squats where you touch the floor, etc. Instead I would squat to a comfortable position, I would sorta bob up and down with my quads and calves instead of jump, and I would do a combo of Shotokan strikes and some dumbell curls and the like for my arms.

Here's my fit test results and measurements. I did the switch kicks on day one only- bad idea. I did the power jacks twice. Fit test 1: 70, fit test 2: 80
    I did power knees for every fit test. I did not attempt the others tests as they are off limits. Before power knees I still did the warm up and I still worked out something to get the heart rate up.
    Power knees Fit test 1: 72, test 2:85, test 3:106, test 4: 117, test 5: 123

Measurements from day 1 through day 63.
    Weight: 160 now 150 lost 10lb.
    Chest: 36" now 35.5" lost .5"
    Waist: 36.25" now 34.5" lost 1.75"
    Hips: 35.75" now 34.5" lost 1.25"
    Left thigh: 22.5" now 22" lost .5"
    Right thigh: 22.5" now 22" lost .5"
    Total inches lost 3.75

I did a round of P90X from mid-March through Mid June 2011 and lost 29 pounds. I did a round of P90X+ from July 4 through October 1 2011 and lost ten pounds. Insanity was from October 10 through December 12, 2011 and lost ten pounds.
    I plan on starting another round of P90X on Monday, January 2, 2012. Who's going to join me in starting the program for the first time or start up another round? These types of programs separate wanna bees from the truly dedicated. Follow me on youtube every Monday for updates. Search howardthecpa. (psst, I'm not a cpa, far from it.lol)
    Be well, BRING IT and dig deeper!

Last edited:

rabiddawg

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Lafayette, LA
    I too have been doing p90x on and off for the past three years; I can't seem to keep it going for a full year. I made it to November this year, but lost motivation to get up at 4:30 every morning, after losing my job.

I too have shoulder problems and found that the pull-ups are what aggrivated my problem so I drop them out of my program. The problem is I feel like I am cheating by doing it.

Good luck getting started again!

Don Howard

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 12, 2011
    west nawlins
    I too have been doing p90x on and off for the past three years; I can't seem to keep it going for a full year. I made it to November this year, but lost motivation to get up at 4:30 every morning, after losing my job.

I too have shoulder problems and found that the pull-ups are what aggrivated my problem so I drop them out of my program. The problem is I feel like I am cheating by doing it.

Good luck getting started again!
    Sweet! I didn't do it non-stop because I wanted/needed to have a change up of programs. My doctor suggested no pull ups or pushups so I skipped/altered those exercises and I did the shoulder therapy the doctor prescribed. When I finished that I would jog in place or some other type of cardio instead of cooling down. I felt like it was cheating to say I completed P90X and Insanity but I've done it to the highest ability I can. As long as the folks on the dvd are working or moving so am I!

Don Howard

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 12, 2011
    west nawlins
    BTW, my goal is to reduce the excess fat around my belly and around the core of my body. I'm hoping to be able to get in good weight lifting reps/sets with p90x to increase muscle and help burn the fat. I need some eating suggestions as well since I'm not going to be able to work the body like I want to. Thanks!

Don Howard

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 12, 2011
    west nawlins
    Round 3 P90X update

Hey hey! I started round three of P90X as promised on January 2, 2012 and have completed the program on March 31, 2012. Here are my stats, although I'm curious about my thigh measurements and some others being so different from the end time of Insanity. I am 5'4" or 5'5" tall, 35 y.o.

Day 1 Day 90
    Weight: 150 - 140 = 10 pounds loss
    Chest: 36.5" - 36" = .5" loss
    Waist: 34.5" - 32.5" = 2" loss
    Hips: 36.25 - 34" = 2.25" loss
    Right thigh: 19" - 19" = no loss
    Left thigh: 19" - 19" = no loss
    Total inches lost is 4.75

I don't know if that's anything to wright home about but I'm proud of my changes and the fact that I've been able to lose a total of 60 pounds since the start of March 2011. I went from being 200 pounds to 140 pounds. I lost 30% of my body weight and have significantly reduced my body fat percentage. One test put me at 8.2% as of March 16 2012.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom