Another truck thread... F-150 owners?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • paddle007

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Covington
    The only thing I can think is its been programmed. I bought it used with 4000 miles on it.

Raising a vehicle decreases fuel economy. More are is forced under the vehicle and it gets all hung up with excessive pressure changes. Go fast cars are typically low and also smooth with their floor pans. Built some pans for a friends 99 F-150 4X4 and there was a measurable increase in mpg.

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    2012 F150 Platinum crew 4x4 with 5.0, 3.55 rear end and 275/55 r20 BFG AT KO2's and I average about 14 mpg. Can get more on the highway if I keep it at 70, but not much with these tires, as they are heavy. With the stock Pirelli garbage, I could eek out 17 on a long interstate trip. Aside from the crappy fuel mileage, I absolutely love the truck. Its got tons more room than my prior Silverado's, Rides like a friggin Cadillac, is super quiet, and also the first new vehicle I have ever owned that did not have to go in for something warranty related in the first 36K miles. Has tons of power to pull whatever I want, but the fuel mileage is directly proportional to that! If I pulled a lot of things, I'd have gotten the ecoboost, but I just love the sound of the V8 over the eco, found it to be a smoother combination than the eco's I test drove.

Creoleman

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 12, 2013
    Metairie,La.
    I have a 2005 f150 with 164,000 miles on it (I don't really go anywhere anymore), with the small v-8 in it, and she's got decent get-up-and-go with the overdrive off, but uses way more gas that way, of course. So far the only thing that's had to be replaced (non-brakes and oil, of course) was the driver's side window control buttons. Part cost $110.00 at the stealership. Five minute job and one screwdriver. Not too bad.

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    The 6 speed is nice in that the gear changes are smooth and not jerky at all. But I wish they would have geared it more for higher end. I can be doing 40-45 and already be in 6th gear if you ease on the the pedal. If you stomp it then it doesn't get into 6th for quite a while longer but I don't remember exactly when. IMO it shouldn't hit 6th until 55 if you are accelerating easy. It would get better gas mileage at highway speed that way but I didn't really buy it for economy gas mileage so..............

But so far so good, however I just got it last year and only have 3900 miles on it so it better not have any issues yet.

Last edited:

JHenley17

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 21, 2013
    Prairieville
    Ah, the worst thing about automatics, always up shifting too early and downshifting too late. Oh well, it'll still be nice to lose the clutch in traffic. I think I'll be going for the 5.0/6-speed unless I just have to have an upscale model.

deuxlatch

Airbus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Lafayette, La/Houston Tx.
    The 6 speed is nice in that the gear changes are smooth and not jerky at all. But I wish they would have geared it more for higher end. I can be doing 40-45 and already be in 6th gear if you ease on the the pedal. If you stomp it then it doesn't get into 6th for quite a while longer but I don't remember exactly when. IMO it shouldn't hit 6th until 55 if you are accelerating easy. It would get better gas mileage at highway speed that way but I didn't really buy it for economy gas mileage so..............

But so far so good, however I just got it last year and only have 3900 miles on it so it better not have any issues yet.
    I had this same problem with my 2013 Silverado. Averaged 12-13mpg city and at best 15.7 hwy, bone stock with Magnaflow exhaust and that was milking it on the gas pedal. Always felt sluggish and the 8cyl-4cyl cutoff was annoying as hell, seemed to take forever to get going in traffic. When I step on the pedal I want it to go NOW, not wait to add the other 4 cylinders and then also have to downshift before it goes. Fixed the problem with a 2014 Tundra 5.7, ain't looking back.

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    RE: "You have 31k miles on a 2015 model already?? "

Er, no and good catch Calacagno. It is a 2012 and it has been corrected!! And Crimson, you should be doing way better than that. What gears do you have in the rear end. As mentioned earlier, maybe it has been tuned from the factory settings. I don't know much about the newer 4wd set ups but is it possible for it to be in 4wd all the time without you knowing it? Just asking....

Last edited:

Crimson

Hk convert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    Monroe, La
    RE: "You have 31k miles on a 2015 model already?? "

Er, no and good catch Calacagno. It is a 2012 and it has been corrected!! And Crimson, you should be doing way better than that. What gears do you have in the rear end. As mentioned earlier, maybe it has been tuned from the factory settings. I don't know much about the newer 4wd set ups but is it possible for it to be in 4wd all the time without you knowing it? Just asking....

It's in 2wd it has a switch on the dash. I'm not sure what gears it has in it. All the custom stuff on it was dealer installed I actually looked at it at the Ford dealership when it was new. I saw it traded in about 3 months later at the Chevy dealership and decided to buy after somebody else took the big price hit. It only had 4k miles on it and was $8500 cheaper than the Ford dealer wanted for it. I'm just not sure if the person that had it got it tuned. unless it was done with a programmer the only person around here that does tunes usually increases power and gas mileage. I just don't know I love the truck and I'm sure not going to trade it because it gets less mpg than other people's.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    I've only had my 2012 FX4 5.0 for a few months but I like it. Mine is a Supercab with 6.5' bed. I get between 15 and 16 on the display, it's pretty dang quick for a truck, and rides nice. I've only used the 4wd once, but it worked like a champ.

Mine is the base FX4 with cloth seats and regular radio, the original speakers were godawful so I swapped them out and added a shallow mount 10" sub under the back seat. I also removed the resonator to give it a bit more exhaust sound but still be quiet at cruise, it was too quiet for a truck. The only thing I wish it had was the HID headlights, those are about $800 to add the OEM ones

MikeR

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2011
    Carencro
    Yeah, definitely used. The Mustangs I was hoping for were also used in the $25-$30k range, I'm looking for an F-150 in the $17-$20k range. The thing is, if I were getting a Mustang, I wanted to get what I really wanted, track pack and all that. On a truck, I'm more willing to settle as long as I get 5.4 or 5.0.

Yeah, I hear ya. I was looking at either getting a 2013 Mustang GT, Brembo brake package, 3.73s, Torson diff, et al (without all the weight adding BS), but my wife convinced me to stick with a truck. I get a discount with the Ford Partner X Plan, so that helped curb the FX4s price (has all options except power sunroof and navigation) and I'm happy I went with the truck.

As for the other guys and MPGs, I'm not sure how mine gets so much better. I'm not easy on it in town (but I don't do dragstrip starts either), but I try to maintain speed on the interstate. Maybe it was built mid week (I'm sure yall have heard the old myth of Monday & Friday cars)? I've got the 20s, the heavy/hard Pirellis (275/55-20s), plus a 36gal tank and it just does well, not sure what's up, but I'm not bitching about averaging nearly 18mpg combined driving and getting 21mpg on the way to/from TN was definitely appreciated.

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    I had this same problem with my 2013 Silverado. Averaged 12-13mpg city and at best 15.7 hwy, bone stock with Magnaflow exhaust and that was milking it on the gas pedal. Always felt sluggish and the 8cyl-4cyl cutoff was annoying as hell, seemed to take forever to get going in traffic. When I step on the pedal I want it to go NOW, not wait to add the other 4 cylinders and then also have to downshift before it goes. Fixed the problem with a 2014 Tundra 5.7, ain't looking back.

Yeah I get about 11-13 city and 14-15 highway (I drive fast) but I have the 6.2L and 4.10 gears so like I said didn't really get it for fuel economy. It's certainly not sluggish. I might put the supercharger on it someday but that will be awhile.

Last edited:

Crimson

Hk convert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    Monroe, La
    How's the throttle response on the 5.0? My 5.4 is absolutely horrible.

Way better I hated the throttle response on my 05
    I've only had my 2012 FX4 5.0 for a few months but I like it. Mine is a Supercab with 6.5' bed. I get between 15 and 16 on the display, it's pretty dang quick for a truck, and rides nice. I've only used the 4wd once, but it worked like a champ.

Mine is the base FX4 with cloth seats and regular radio, the original speakers were godawful so I swapped them out and added a shallow mount 10" sub under the back seat. I also removed the resonator to give it a bit more exhaust sound but still be quiet at cruise, it was too quiet for a truck. The only thing I wish it had was the HID headlights, those are about $800 to add the OEM ones

Mine came with the HID's I like them but I don't get it if I forget to turn my brights off at night no one flashes me but if I turn them off every other car flashes me.

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    I just acquired a 2014 F-150 STX in Tuxedo Black. My third Ford Truck (last was a 1998 F-150 Lariat and the other was a 2008 Expedition) I am researching "toys" to add to it... (Black Truck Disease, similar to Black Rifle Disease but NOT as expensive! How does that work???)

So I am looking at adding...

1. Aries Black Bull Bar with Stainless Steel Skid Plate
    2. Aries Black License Plate Holder
    3. Husky Liners Black Rear Wheel Well Guards
    4. Weathertech 82697 Side Window Deflectors (front and rear)
    5. Dee Zee Specialty Series Narrow Crossover Tool Box
    6. Dee Zee Tool Box Tie Downs
    7. Bushwacker Ford Extend-A-Fender Flares
    8. WeatherTech Hood Stone Bug Deflector
    9. Dee Zee Tailgate Assist

Before I go ahead with the purchase, I wanted to ask if anyone have any experience with any of these products? Or recommend comparable items? Recommend other items?

Thanks!

Tinytitan

Is it loaded?
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Boutte
    Love my '13 ecoboost fx4, currently have a 2.5" level, exhaust, intake and tune........its a beast lolgets squirrly shifting into second :). I also have the amp reasearch retractable running boards and love em

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    I have a 2011 F150 Super Cab with the 5.0. It has been virtually problem free. Only had to have a door rattle fixed. I get good mileage with mine....usually 15-16 in the city and 20 or more on the open highway. I don't drive it aggressively and did special order my truck with a 3:31 rear gear instead of the standard 3:55. The power of the 5.0 outpaces the older 5.4 by quite a bit. I love the 6 speed auto and it's versatility, especially when towing.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RedactedUsername
    Top Bottom