Any adoptive parents here?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • autogateman

Access denied
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 17, 2012
    maurepas la
    I know this is waay off topic, but does anyone here have experience with adopting a child? My wife and I just started our home study and are trying to find resources for getting connected with birth mothers for private adoption. I would rather not go through an agency ($$). As of now we're on an email list through an adoption attorney that specializes in private adoptions but that's about it. I appreciate any help you guys can offer. We're excited!

Thanks,
    Rod

Last edited:

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    Catholic Charities. Private attorney is the way to go if you don't want to go through an agency, but don't expect it to be any cheaper.

Alw041

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 25, 2014
    Shreveport, LA
    My wife and I are in the middle of adopting and we ending up going with an agency out of CA. We were hesitant at first, but they have been amazing. They are called Lifetime Adoption. Price wise, they were also one of the most reasonable. If you need an attorney, one of the best is Steve Baker out of Shreveport, LA.

velociraptor

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Greater New Orleans Area
    Sign up to be foster parents. There are many kids (unfortunately) that come into state custody at all ages. The foster parents have the first chance to adopt children when parents lose parental rights. There is no cost and in fact they actually subsidize the process.

There are children of all ages and races form infants up to teens in state custody. Some are trouble makers but most are just kids having to deal with grown up issues at a way too early age.

buckedup

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 31, 2014
    Tylertown Ms.
    My wife and I have 4 kids all adopted through foster care. We adopted 2 brothers and 2 sisters. It is VERY challenging at times but has definitely improved our lives. I could not imagine life without them.

enutees

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jul 4, 2010
    Prairieville
    I adopted from Guatemala almost 8 years ago. We used Catholic Charities for our home study and an out of state agency for the rest. No option is cheap. But good luck however you go. It's pretty much all stupid expensive and all of your relatives and friends will probably **** you off during the process lol.

davidd

Expert in the field of wife avoidance
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Both I and my younger daughter came to be where we are courtesy of Catholic Community Services in Baton Rouge. Both were local adoptions; mine closed, my daughter's open. No, we didn't get a repeat customer discount... It's been almost 13 years (for her, not me). Cost wise it was a sliding scale based on income. From what I remember, the federal adoption tax credit covered a good bit of the fee, though it took 3 or 4 years for us to claim it all (non-refundable, only available against existing taxes owed). We didn't make that much back then.

I had a great experience with CCS, both times! I cannot say enough good things about them.

autogateman

Access denied
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 17, 2012
    maurepas la
    Wow I wasn't expecting so many people on here to respond! This is all new to us and we're still learning. From what were being told , if we adopt a newborn in a private adoption, it's about 10-15k$ plus any medical bills we would be responsible for. I'll be looking in to catholic charities. Thanks guys!!!

SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    We adopted. Single best thing I have done with my life. We are also certified foster parents. Check with the foster care system. There are so many kids needing a good home.

Last edited:

autogateman

Access denied
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 17, 2012
    maurepas la
    UPDATE-finished our home study, met with adoption Atty a month ago, got placed two weeks later. Wife is at hospital today with birth mother to find out the gender of the baby due end of March. Can't believe how easy this process is going! Y'all please keep us in your prayers that she follows through until the five day waiting period after baby is born. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

REDLINE83

AURIBUS TENERE LUPUM
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Sep 9, 2015
    Northshore
    In our prayers buddy. Happy for yall and Im sure it will all work out. Going through this process, know yall going going to be great parents :)

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    Congratulations and God bless those of you doing your best to better any child's life and give them the childhood they deserve.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Demmickb
    Top Bottom