Any advice on keeping a gun in the car?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • derf

Privateer
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    BR, LA
    I usually just chunk it under the seat or try to find a way to bring it with me. The dark windows only help so much :(. I really need to get an alarm.

Tinted windows are like a magnet for car thieves. They look for cars with tinted windows.

I don't think there would be any begging for forgiveness. More like looking for a new job. And forget about using your old one as a reference.
    If I have to use the gun, then a job is the last thing I'm worried about.

BobKaro

Yellow Boxes? Sweet!
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Youngsville, LA
    I usually just chunk it under the seat or try to find a way to bring it with me. The dark windows only help so much :(. I really need to get an alarm.

Nola - I've run into an issue with one thing. When practicing my quickdraw :D from that position, the holster always wants to come with the gun. Other than duck taping the holster to the seat/console, is there anything I could do to make it slide out easier??

You could try sewing some of the non-slip drawer lining on the out side of the holster. The soft foam type in the grid pattern. I've done the same for a pocket holster that wouldn't grip the inside of the pocket.

Last edited:

PAPACHUCK

Certified Gun Nut
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Sep 21, 2006
    Outside Slidell
    My gun is usually on my side while driving, but at times I do keep one between the seat and the console. If I must leave a gun in the truck/car and I feel reasonably comfortable with the surroundings, I'll simply slide it under the seat. If not, I take it with me.

That said, every handgun comes with a cable lock. It can be used to lock a gun to the seat frame under the seat. I've just never wanted to go through that hassle, or had to yet.

hot shot

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville La
    Would someone mind signing off on the carrying of a firearm in a boat?? I've wanted to many a times, but have heard it is isn't is isn't is illegal :rolleyes:. Anyone have reliable info so I don't have to play like John Kerry on abortion?

Also, I keep my pistol between my drivers seat and center console. Been broken into before, so it comes out with me at night. Always have it on my person when at a gas station filling up - especially with some of the crap that's been happening around here.

DAVE

Yea, Im a few days late, and only read to page 5 so far, but I carry in my boat OFTEN, then again it is a hunting boat. Ive been checked many times by LADWF, they never say anything, cept to check the capacity (shot gun and duck hunting) dont see where carrying a gun in a boat of any type could/would be illegal

To answer the original question, I keep it shoved between the drivers seat and middle seat. Need on of those trigger guards like spanky, when I pull the gun, the holster comes too. My seats are black, my windows are lightly tinted, the gun is hard to see inside. I leave it there. Would rather leave it there out of site out of mind than to transport it back and forth every time I get in or out of my truck

Last edited:

sraacke

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    St. Gabriel
    I mostly OC. I get dressed in the morning and the holster is on my right hip with the pistol in it. If I get to work or someplace where firearms are banned (gov building, etc...) I take the holster off and store it and the pistol locked in my glove compartment. When I get back to the car the holster and pistol go back on my belt. No problem.
    I have a CCW permit but it's mainly for use when visiting family in states where you need a permit to OC (brother in colorado, dad in tennessee, etc...) .

Top Bottom