Any AR guys on here frequent Honey Island swamp?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Coonbutt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2013
    Mandeville
    I'm a newbie to AR's and will be heading to the range in the next month or so to break it in and have fun with it. I was hoping to be around guys that know a thing or two about AR's just in case I have any issues. Any help is really appreciated.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    If you never shot it, make sure it doesn't have packing grease on the gun. I'll be there this weekend shooting my new seekins rifle

Coonbutt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2013
    Mandeville
    Thanks noob! The rifle is at Modern Outfitters in Meridian, MS getting cerakoted. They will test fire it before leaving so hopefully they will do that. What concerns me is being new to gas systems and in this case, it's an SBR, so I hope it doesnt have any cycling issues.

- - - Updated - - -

thanks!

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Did you build the sbr? Or is it factory parts? I'm bringing about 4-5 sbr's with me Saturday, along with some suppressors

Coonbutt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2013
    Mandeville
    Well, I did a form 1 on it and engraved it, but the lower and upper were purchased complete. It's a 9.5 KAC SR30 (300AAC) upper with area 53 billett lower. I also purchased a AAC 7.62-SDN-6 that will be on it. I intend to shoot mostly suppressed.

Mike316

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2011
    Slidell, LA
    As a Range Office at Honey Island I can tell you that you would not be the first to have problems with your AR. If you have problems let one of us know and we will be more than happy to help out. I won't be working this weekend but we have a great group of guys out there

Mike316

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2011
    Slidell, LA
    Couple of things to add. Bring gun oil and a rod that will fit completely through the barrel into the chamber incase you get some stuck cases. We usually have a rod but you never know if it was put back.

Coonbutt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2013
    Mandeville
    Will do! I was told that you need a current hunting and fishing license to shoot there? is that true? no big deal, I just need tp pick one up.

franch1se82

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Belle Chasse
    i find that most folks out at honey island are pretty friendly and are willing to help.

though, id stay away from the overly well-dressed folks or the fashionably underdressed. heck, just look for the group of folks with a bunch of ARs hanging on the rack ...

Dock Rocker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    Jackson, MS
    If you have an adjustable gas block you should be ok on your first outing with an SBR. If you don't have an adjustable gas block you may want to bring a heavy buffer with you. Typically pistol length gas systems with suppressors are a bit over gassed and cause cycling issues. It's not a big deal at all but it happens. If you have issues either turn down the gas on your adjustable gas block or swap in a heavier buffer.

I am sure the guys in meridian have an H2 buffer. I would grab one just in case.

Coonbutt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2013
    Mandeville
    Thanks dock rocker, I was told by many that an adj. gas block on a 300 AAC is a waste of money. I almost bought one, but was talked out of it by several people. The buffer is a JP silent capture spring. I bought a JP spring kit to fine tune if needed.

franch1se82

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Belle Chasse
    Thanks dock rocker, I was told by many that an adj. gas block on a 300 AAC is a waste of money. I almost bought one, but was talked out of it by several people. The buffer is a JP silent capture spring. I bought a JP spring kit to fine tune if needed.

it is a waste of money with 300 blk ... KAC makes their own uppers w/pistol length gas tubes and w/o adjustable gas blocks. and it runs fine on my buddy's w/his suppressor.

PAPACHUCK

Certified Gun Nut
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Sep 21, 2006
    Outside Slidell
    No self clearing permit required any longer at Honey Island Range.

Per pg. 86 of the 2014-15 Louisiana Hunting Regulations;
    Rifle Range: Self clearing permit not required, but all range users must obtain a daily
    check-in numbered ticket at the range upon sign-in at the range. For more information
    call 985-643-3938 or visit www.honeyisland.org.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Demmickb
    Top Bottom