any computer gurus out there?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gravityBad

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    I think my video card is on its way out. I have the following laptop:

DELL Inspiron 9300
    Pentium M 2 GHz
    2Gig memory
    NVidia GeForce go 256 Mb video card

My problem started the day after I got laid off at work (go figure - I believe the HR person that lowered the boom was named...Murphy:mad:)

My screen started to intermittently blink from all black to a normal view every few seconds basically locking the computer down. I could not get anything to work while it was doing this prompting me to shut it down with the power button. One other thing I noticed is that sometimes only part of the screen will black out (either lines or rectangular blocks) for a split second and will continue to do so but with full function of the programs.

To compound matters, my extended warranty just ran out and DELL will only diagnosis for a fee and then of course charge me out the *)% for the parts and a technician to repair.

On another ironic note...the Dell 968 printer which the company said to keep just started to mangle paper every 5 sheets. :confused: A big heart felt thanks goes out to my former employer for their generosity.:)

Anyways, can anyone suggest a way to verify if the video card is good/bad? I couldn't find a way to run a diagnostic check on it. I hope someone can help as I can't afford to send it to Dell or replace it right now. Looks like i will be w/o one soon. Any recommendations?.....

Thanks,

joe

theway109

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 7, 2010
    Lafayette, LA
    It sounds more like a problem with the screen than the video card. If you connect it to an external display and get the same video problems then it is the card. If not then it is likely the LCD panel itself.

Xenon

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jul 30, 2010
    Metairie
    Agreed. Sounds like the screen.

If not, there is a way to boot your computer into a low screen resolution mode. Depending on your computer, you press an F key (F8 F10 F12 usually) and it will go into setup allowing that as an option. (Looks similar to choosing safe mode)

I'm no Guru, so that's as far as I can get you, but maybe google low res mode and your type of computer would help out

theway109

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 7, 2010
    Lafayette, LA
    Agreed. Sounds like the screen.

If not, there is a way to boot your computer into a low screen resolution mode. Depending on your computer, you press an F key (F8 F10 F12 usually) and it will go into setup allowing that as an option. (Looks similar to choosing safe mode)

I'm no Guru, so that's as far as I can get you, but maybe google low res mode and your type of computer would help out

F8 opens the boot options menu for Windows. Then one of the options should be "VGA Mode" or something similar depending on the OS.

CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Agreed with the screen being the possible issue and I concur with using an external monitor to see if the problem continues via the external monitor.

BOSS302

Pain is temporary
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    SELA
    There is a known issue with Nvidia GeForce Go graphics chips, more specifically the 8400 series. I've got a dead Vostro 1400 sitting on the shelf, and I'm SOL with Dell at the moment until the class action lawsuit finally hits.

Does it just shut off, or do you get some crazy lines and such on the screen occasionally?

Renegade

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 1, 2010
    Red Stick
    First off, unplug the power cable from your comp and press the main power button to drain the charge from the system. Then, plug it back in and boot it up. May sound crazy, but I've seen this fix a lot of weird problems in the past (such as your comp not seeing a jumpdrive or external HD). If you're still having the problem, see below:

1) Test it on another monitor to determine if your monitor is bad.

2) If it still occurs on another monitor, update your video card driver to the newest version. If your comp is too lame to do this, download it from another comp and save it to a jumpdrive.

3) If that doesn't fix it, replace the video card. You don't have to do this through Dell if you're warranty is expired - they will ream you.

Edit: if you are experiencing any other problems, in addition to the video issue, it is quite possible that your power supply could be going out.

Last edited:

gravityBad

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Thanks for all the replys. I believe I still have a video cable that will hook up to the tv and possibility another monitor. I will have to dig for the monitor.

One odd thing about the issue is that it ( almost like static type lines -- if that comes across as a description, i don't know ) will usually occur within a reduced size window. Sometimes only when you click an application, the whole screen will start to blink between black and normal.

Does the 1st scenario of static type lines contained 'only' within a reduced size window, while the rest of the screen (regardless of window placement) works normally, still meet the criteria for a possible bad screen?

SeaZast

Nawlins AK Enthusiast
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Nawlins
    I would also like to bring up the possibility of video card overheating or motherboard overheating. When you said something about the reduced sized window, that CAN mean that the possible overheating (bad video card fan?) is allowing only for smaller sized (less powered) windows. When you click on an application, and things start to happen (black and normal) that could say that the motherboard is being asked for too much power, which it can't supply if it is overheating. The same would possibly be true for the video card, which is now being asked to work harder. Just my 2 cents.

Suburbazine

01001000 01101001 0011111
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Very common on Dell laptops that the heatsink on the GFX chip will become loose/detached or the thermal paste turns to concrete. The other problem is the heatsink on the end of the heatpipe (where the fan blows out) will clog up. If it does I do NOT recommend compressed air! Disassemble and clean!

sullivt3.jpg

Also, the screen connector at the card is the snap-in type and it can come loose/get dirty over time.

If you go in, replace the thermal paste on the processor too:
    sullivbl.jpg

Last edited:

gravityBad

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    is there any type of diagnostic test to run. Seems like I've called Dell tech before and they had me shut down, shut down, power off, and start while pressing 'Fn" key to run a diagnostic program or maybe one from the start/ RUN...... window?

RyanW

Koch-head
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    My hp did the same thing, and apparently Dell and gateway had the same issue as well. The Invidia cards were overclocked from the factory and produce too much heat, eventually cracking the motherboard. There are a few class action lawsuits going on with it since after the problem was found, they all continued selling the bad equipment. Gateway settled and was very generous, so I replaced my stuff with a gateway fx laptop that has been awesome.

The motherboard typically cost about $400 to replace. Everytime I called support during my warranty period it was blamed on software and bios issues, 1 week after the warranty ran out and I called, it was all of a sudden a cracked motherboard, even though the isues had never gone away and the were the exact same the entire time that I owned it.

Top Bottom