Any electricians? whole home surge protectors

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • blastncast2

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    Maurice, LA
    Anyone familiar with whole home surge protectors? Whats a good brand, are they worth it? I'm looking at SquareD, Leviton, Eaton, and Sycom brands. Seems like a cheap investment for a house during power surges.

dougstump

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    x
    We had a dog & pony show at work from Maxi Volt (Gene Sims. JR. owner 225-610-6442). It looks like a good system and can be used for a house, however we haven't bought any yet so I can't verify performance.

While we’re on the subject of voltage surges, if you suspect your house has taken a lightening strike turn each circuit breaker off one at a time and be sure that circuit goes dead. Don’t just trip the breaker and think it’s off, go make sure the power is off on that branch circuit. I have seen several times where lightening can weld the circuit breaker contacts closed and the breaker will never trip. I’ve know of a couple of houses that burned down from an overload years after the lightening strike and the Fire Department determined the cause was the circuit breaker didn’t trip. Oh, if it’s a 220 volt (double breaker) like for your range or water heater, it’s best to check with a meter to be sure both legs are dead. But don’t open up the panel unless you really know what you are doing!

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    http://www.ditekcorp.com/

I have friends at convergent technologies that swear by them and I've met their head of product support at a few trade shows, guy is a genius. Also, the vast majority of their products are made in the USA

Last edited:
    Top Bottom