Any experience with Barrett's 98 Bravo

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bjb550

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Looking at getting a long range rifle and have narrowed it down to the 98 Bravo. Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with them.

TDH

FFL/Class 3 NFA Dealer
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Livingston
    Looking at getting a long range rifle and have narrowed it down to the 98 Bravo. Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with them.

I've shot one and wasn't significantly impressed. I've owned several Barrett rifles and the 98 Bravo failed to impress for the press point.

You can purchase a custom built to your specs 338 Lapua for not much more or even less depending on the route you go.

I have a Lawton actioned 338 and a PGW Timberwolf in 338 on the way soon.

A few members here have shot my Lawton actioned 338. I'll try to post some video with suppressor attached this weekend. ;)

EDIT: Figured I'd add a pic of the Lawton based rifle from when I got it. I'll have some better action pics this weekend.

3938294307_c8c157dc42_b.jpg

Last edited:

bjb550

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Thats a beautiful rifle, looks like I'll be doing some more research before making a decesion. Where might I start looking to get some info on these custom rifles?

Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Gonzales
    I've shot one and wasn't significantly impressed. I've owned several Barrett rifles and the 98 Bravo failed to impress for the press point.

You can purchase a custom built to your specs 338 Lapua for not much more or even less depending on the route you go.

A few members here have shot my Lawton actioned 338. I'll try to post some video with suppressor attached this weekend. ;)

EDIT: Figured I'd add a pic of the Lawton based rifle from when I got it. I'll have some better action pics this weekend.

That is on fine machine for sure TD.

TDH

FFL/Class 3 NFA Dealer
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Livingston
    Thats a beautiful rifle, looks like I'll be doing some more research before making a decesion. Where might I start looking to get some info on these custom rifles?

I deal almost exclusively with William Roscoe at Louisiana Precision Rifles. I can shoot you his info. The 338 above was built by Rob Snyder at RW Snyder Gunsmithing. It shoots lights out and he has a very good reputation on the long range forum and is prices are very good.

GAP or APA or also great, but the premiums for their work are more.

You might even consider a 700P MLR in 338 lapua if you can find one of the ones with the Badger M5 clone laying around for 1100-1200 NIB. They are a great platform to build on and it gives you a cheap starter to burn the barrel out on.

Almost any of the options i listed would be under the asking price of the 98B. And nothing against Barrett, as I am a proud owner. I just think there are better options.

mickey

SSST
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    192   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Prairieville, LA

THIS THING IS BAD TO THE BONE!!!!!! The trigger is incredible!!!!! The Badger Ord. brake is VERY effective at reducing the recoil of this BEAST. The stock...... one of the most comfortable guns i have ever shot. I cannot wait to hear the can on it today. Oh by the way, I went grocery shopping this morning to pick up some targets. COCONUTS, Tomatos, and KIWIs...... :D

bjb550

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    So if I was looking to get a rifle like the one in the pic what would I be looking at spending, and what rifle components does it use ? I see the A.I. stock, what kind of action and barrel?

TDH

FFL/Class 3 NFA Dealer
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Livingston
    That particular one is a Lawton action. The Lawton is a slightly beefier 700 that is already trued and blueprinted. You would also be well served with a Stiller Tac 338 action or a Badger M2008 or a Sugeon XL.

This one has a Krieger 1:9.35 twist barrel. You need at least 1:10 to stabilize a 300gr bullet. If you want to shoot 250 gr or less you can go with a slower twist.

I think you would be safe with Bartlein, Krieger, Rock, Brux, and probably even Shilen.

The cost really depends on the configuration. You could go from 3K to 15k depending on what you select. Some of the actions are in the 700-800 range and some of the actions are 2000 or more. Just depends on the components and the labor charges for exactly what you want.

Typical fees are 250 to chamber and thread for action.
    150 to thread for brake/suppressor (you will want one or the other on a 338)
    250 for a finish if you don't want everything left in the raw
    Fluting if you want it can run from 100-300
    The options and labor fees can be endless, depending on what you want.

bjb550

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Thanks for all the great info it's been really helpfull. I guess if i'm gonna drop about 4000 on a barrett, it seems more appropriate to get a custom build done. I'm really liking the Lawton action, and as far as the barrel goes I'd get a krieger, but probably flutted as I like the look and it's said it helps in barrel cooling. I'd go with the badger ordnance muzzle break since it is removable, cause a suppressor will almost deffinatly be purchased in the future. I've heard alot of good about the Jewell triggers. Checked out Louisiana Precesion Rifles and they seem the best route to take as far as completing the build.
    Did you have to order the A.I. folding stock, I've been looking for one and they don't seem to be readily available.

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Thanks for all the great info it's been really helpfull. I guess if i'm gonna drop about 4000 on a barrett, it seems more appropriate to get a custom build done. I'm really liking the Lawton action, and as far as the barrel goes I'd get a krieger, but probably flutted as I like the look and it's said it helps in barrel cooling. I'd go with the badger ordnance muzzle break since it is removable, cause a suppressor will almost deffinatly be purchased in the future. I've heard alot of good about the Jewell triggers. Checked out Louisiana Precesion Rifles and they seem the best route to take as far as completing the build.
    Did you have to order the A.I. folding stock, I've been looking for one and they don't seem to be readily available.

I think you made a good choice.

Edit: This guy goes by the user name: www.eurooptic.com on GB. He used to sell alot of AI stocks on there and had them when no one else did. You might give them a call

http://www.eurooptic.com/accuracy_i...ics.asp?category=AICS&vendor=XXAI&parent=XXAI

Last edited:

TDH

FFL/Class 3 NFA Dealer
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Livingston
    TDH: What does it sound like without the can?

Loud. 338 Lapua is 170+ db unsupressed with a brake. It sounds way louder in the video than it really is. I would venture to say there is at least a 30 db reduction. Without having a db meter it's hard to say. I was comfortable shooting it without hearing protection with the suppressor and everyone around comment on how quiet it was.

It's not movie quiet I guess, but I was very pleased considering your sending a 300 gr bullet downrange with 90+ grains of powder behind it ;)

TDH

FFL/Class 3 NFA Dealer
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Livingston

Give Lin Schryver at Schryver Gun Sales the first shot on the stock. He always beats everyone's price for me on the AICS chasis systems. I also deal with Adam Bauer at Mile High Shooting/Bauer Arms. Adam got the L/A AICS on this gun when nobody else had it.

I have a couple of S/A stocks too. If you search for the new thread where LA Precision built my 260 you can see one of the S/A I got from Lin.

bjb550

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Wow after seeing that 260 all I can do is smile :), did La Precision spiral cut the bolt and barrel?
    Thanks again now I've found more A.I. Stocks than I'd know what to do with.
    So between the Lawton and the Badger ordnance action which did you prefer, theres not that much difference in price between them, although the badger already has the scope rails added.
    Also what contour and barrel length did you get for the barrel on the .338 pictured earlier?

TDH

FFL/Class 3 NFA Dealer
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Livingston
    Wow after seeing that 260 all I can do is smile :), did La Precision spiral cut the bolt and barrel?
    Thanks again now I've found more A.I. Stocks than I'd know what to do with.
    So between the Lawton and the Badger ordnance action which did you prefer, theres not that much difference in price between them, although the badger already has the scope rails added.
    Also what contour and barrel length did you get for the barrel on the .338 pictured earlier?

The barrel is a Kreiger ss 1-9.35 1.345 at the breech and .940 at the muzzle.

There is nothing wrong with the Lawton, but I love my Badger actions. Enough so I have a few more on the way ;)

TDH

FFL/Class 3 NFA Dealer
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Livingston
    90 Grains thats a warm up LOL. Check out the 50 BMG.

I have a 50; I had two. I lost the novelty. My next big bore rifle is going to bei either a 375/408 Cheytac or Snipetac.

The Cheytac and Snipetac or still "wildcat" in nature but are fairly mainstream in long range shooting communities.

Top Bottom