Any experience with Surplus ammo barrels?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lost

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Pineville
    Traded my stripped Doublestar lower for a Colt SP1 lower with an attached A1(?) upper mentioned in this thread:
    http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/showthread.php?74797-Offset-pivot-pin-removal

Now I am just looking for a cheap barrel for a K.I.S.S. rifle. Hoping to see if anyone has tried the Surplus Ammo and Arms barrels such as these:
    http://www.surplusammo.com/surplus-ammo-arms-standard-m4-profile1-9-ar-15-barrel-mp-tested/

I am not worried about prefection, just something that will shoot. Heck, if the guy I got the lower from hadn't thrown out the shot out barrel that used to be on this thing, I might have even used it.

ETA: I would be even more interested if any of the sponsors have something in the same price range or lower (even used).

Last edited:

Blackhawk

Blackhawk
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Pollock LA
    Just some notes I've made to myself about barrels:

1. Buy chrome-lined if possible. Seems to clean better, not foul as easily. Barrels I've purchased without the chrome lining always seem to look like they need cleaning.

2. Get 1:7 twist if possible, allows use of heavier bullets. If it's good enough for the military, who am I to argue. Wouldn't make any difference using 1:9 if you stick to 55 or 62 grain.

3. Don't fool with barrels that don't already have the front sight mount already attached. Drilling those taper holes is a b****h (if using a standard FS), and I've had mixed results with clamp-on.

YMMV

lost

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Pineville
    Thank you both. I will check out some of those other barrels and make sure I get something with the sight mounted. Never even gave a thought to the pins.

Top Bottom