Any experienced backpackers here?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    Yeah, they blame ATV's for destroying the landscape and they blame guns and meat for all the rest of the world's problems.

The Green Mountain Club which owns and maintains the Long Trail tried to address the use of mountain bikes on the trail. They are capable of doing a lot of damage. Bikers with a "Hey, get out of my way" attitude aggravate hikers, too.

A lot of the trail is on private land, but enforcing anything is very iffy.

Has anyone on the list hiked the Long Trail?
    :eh:

Mojo Rider

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Denham Springs
    The Green Mountain Club which owns and maintains the Long Trail tried to address the use of mountain bikes on the trail. They are capable of doing a lot of damage. Bikers with a "Hey, get out of my way" attitude aggravate hikers, too.

A lot of the trail is on private land, but enforcing anything is very iffy.

Has anyone on the list hiked the Long Trail?
    :eh:

My family is from the Green Mountains / White Mountains area so i've been all over there but never hiked the Long Trail.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    I'm not a 100% sure but from what i understand the processing of the merino wool reduces the allergens so most people that are allergic to traditional wool clothing don't have much of a problem with the Smartwool socks. Guess she'll just have to try it and see what happens.

I have some smart wool socks. Won't work for her.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I've gotten into those discussions. I think the last one was 'what bear spray do you prefer?' Spraying them with OOO buckshot was not a popular answer!

I've had coolmax t-shirts but never socks.

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    im short and stubby so i like most weight up at my shoulders.

and if you do get into serious packing a food dehydrator is a handy piece of equipment. dehydrated spaghetti is good, dehydrated chili not so much. lol

Thebanker

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Baton Rouge/Denham
    Recently i hiked some of the smoky mountain trails, and used nothing but Darn Tough merino wool socks and they worked out great. Exofficio boxers/boxer briefs for multi day hikes are the best also.

Mojo Rider

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Denham Springs
    Recently i hiked some of the smoky mountain trails, and used nothing but Darn Tough merino wool socks and they worked out great. Exofficio boxers/boxer briefs for multi day hikes are the best also.

You know your stuff.. not many people in LA know about Darn Tough socks. I just received my first order a couple of days ago. They seem to be exactly like Smartwools but I hear that they're a little more durable....only time will tell. I didn't mention them in my earlier posts because they're not available locally. and yeah I like pretty much anything made by Exofficio. Boxer briefs, shorts and pants are all in my pack.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    I'm actually wearing regular shoe now. I've been doing physical therapy. I'm still pretty weak in my ankle, but it's getting better. I'm looking forward to some hiking.

Any recomendations on a water purification system for this area?

Mojo Rider

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Denham Springs
    Good to hear.
    Purifying water around here is tough on filters due to all the sediment and scum in the water. I switched from a pump filter to a gravity filter about a year ago. I use the Platypus Gravity Works...

GravityWorks_Filter.jpg

I've modified mine to make it smaller and lighter. This setup works much better than the pump filters which tend to clog and break due to so many moving parts.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    Cool thanks for the suggestions. I've been looking at ordering some stuff. I took a 3L Camel Back last time I was at Tunica Falls and had no problem emptying it.

Are there any water sources you wouldn't use these on? I'm trying to get a feel for what is safe to drink.... especially down here. What would it take to drink water from the Mississippi? What should I be careful about using one of these on?

Thanks for your help.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    joshualectric
    Top Bottom