Any experiences with Robar's NP3 plus finish?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • drpc

Across the State Line
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2010
    Picayune, MS
    I have a Beretta 92FS that was left behind in my home during Hurricane Katrina. My house flooded and the gun rusted up pretty badly. I brought it to a gunsmith who disassembled it, bead blasted everything and refinished it in a dull black (The same finish as the Beretta factory magazines). It looked OK but the breakdown lever, slide lock, mag release, extractor,trigger and hammer finished a plum color and stand out just a little from the black. I've shot it for the past 9 years and it's run great but the finish is wearing off in a few spots. I was thinking refinishing it. I read nothing but positive things about Robar Guns and their NP3 plus finish. Can't find is single bad comment on the internet which is pretty rare.

Does anyone have an experience with the NP3 or NP3 plus finish. The NP3 plus would run $395 to finish the gun internal and external including 1 magazine.

Last edited:

pangris1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 13, 2010
    BR metro area
    Robar is a gold standard in the industry.

It is very, very slippery which has pros and cons. I will always lube a gun no matter the finish but it has very little drag.

If you don't have good checkering etc and it is even a little sweaty or bloody, you're not going to have a good time.

It has great wear characteristics.

That said it would be in the top 5 finishes I would consider depending on the gun and application. I'm also a fan of Black-T and a good hard chrome...

Last edited:

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    NP3 is legit, and one of only a few "wonder coatings" actually worth a damn. It comes with a hefty price though, like Jack said. A gun would have to have a hell of a lot of sentimental value to drop that kind of coin on it. And if I was going to spend that kind of money on a 92, I'd probably just spend a few hundred more and send it off to Wilson for their complete treatment.

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    Just keep your gun oiled and clean. NP3 would not be worth it for that gun. An example of a gun that would be greatly enhanced by NP3 is the HK P7M8.

drpc

Across the State Line
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2010
    Picayune, MS
    Gun has a little sentimental value being one of the few pre-Katrina possessions I was able to salvage but the price is a bit stiff. Thanks for the input!

Vegangunguy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 14, 2014
    Harvey,LA
    NP3 is a great coating and worth the price for something sentimental that you'll keep forever, but any pitting will be visible through the finish. Np3 Plus really isn't needed unless the gun will be exposed to salt water environments.

pyreaux

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 5, 2009
    BRLA
    OP keep an eye on there website and sign up for their mailing list if they have one I've seen 30% off sales regularly.

991GT3

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Robar is a gold standard in the industry.

It is very, very slippery which has pros and cons. I will always lube a gun no matter the finish but it has very little drag.

If you don't have good checkering etc and it is even a little sweaty or bloody, you're not going to have a good time.

It has great wear characteristics.

That said it would be in the top 5 finishes I would consider depending on the gun and application. I'm also a fan of Black-T and a good hard chrome...

NP3 is a soft coating and it's adhesion is not as good as, say, W DLC. I would look at Meloniting the carbon steel slide, personally. It will be superior to ALL coatings.

Top Bottom