Any Ford mechanics in here?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 504BigNasty

Looter Assassin
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    NOLA-Bywater
    I have a 2006 Crown Victoria PI and I ran out of gas heading to work :mad:. Well after getting some fuel in it the thing won't start. The fuel pump is working and I changed the fuel filter but nothing. It turns over but no ignition. Any ideas on what it could be?

jdessell

Womb-Raider
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    NOLA
    Not a mechanic but I've seen this happen more than once. Just because you hear the pump running does not mean it is pumping fuel. You may have burned up the internal pumping device connected to the pump motor.

LA_Huntsman

Call of Booty
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 15, 2006
    St. Joseph
    I have a 2006 Crown Victoria PI and I ran out of gas heading to work :mad:. Well after getting some fuel in it the thing won't start. The fuel pump is working and I changed the fuel filter but nothing. It turns over but no ignition. Any ideas on what it could be?

how do you know the fuel pump is working? also did you bleed the air out of the fuel line?

504BigNasty

Looter Assassin
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    NOLA-Bywater
    how do you know the fuel pump is working? also did you bleed the air out of the fuel line?
    I changed the fuel filter and then check the rails for fuel pressure it looks good. I am just not getting any ignition. If i spray starting fluid in the throttle body it will run for a few seconds.

5vegas

Smoke em
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jan 25, 2012
    Metairie
    It's either a spark Or a fuel problem. You said u sprayed starting fluid in throttle body and it ran for a few seconds, so obviously it's getting fire.
    I would start small and check fuel pump fuses and relays first. The box under the hood should house all the pump relays, and the interior fuse panel has the pump fuses.
    Who knows..... Could be something that simple?? Hopefully. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Praesul Presul

On Target.....Sometimes
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Western KY
    Pretty simple. Turn the key on but do not start. The fuel pump should hum and then stop. That tells you it has pressurized the lines/rails/etc. Wait a few seconds and try to start. Crank it for 10 secs. Do the whole procedure again. If it does not start then, verify the spark is there one of the many ways (although it sounds like you have it). My next guess is if you ran out of fuel, you normally run it real low on gas a lot and I have had experience around here with a little gas + heat making my gas bad and it plugged the intake/sock on my fuel pump. Unfortunately you will have to drop the tank, clean it (took it to a radiator shop), and put in a new pump.

A word to the wise, an in-tank fuel pump uses the gas also as a coolant for the pump so regularly running low on gas will shorten the life of a pump.

jguilletjr

Saw Bones
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Lafayette, La
    The fuel lines will bleed themselves, fuel circulates constantly through the system. The pressure may not be up to specks. If it is low, the injectors won't work. you need a fuel pressure guage that reads up to 50 lbs, and you need to know the spec. for that vehicle. I don't remember off the top of my head. I haven't worked as a mechanic for a while. Have you checked for spark? Compression?

W1nds0rF0x

Snap, Crackle, Pop.
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 8, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    I know a Windsor 5.0 runs about 35-40 PSI less than 30 PSI and the injectors probably won't work properly, more than 50 and you need an adjustable regulator.

504BigNasty

Looter Assassin
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    NOLA-Bywater
    Got her running! Turned out being the Crankshaft sensor was shorted out from the previous owner installing a alarm and the wires were touching. Thanks to everyone who helped with ideas.

Top Bottom